U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2012, 06:51 PM

5,200 posts, read 3,056,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
Based on this logic, Pittsburgh would have been better off without I-376 and I-279 too. If Pittsburgh didn't have any limited access highways, do you really think there would be one Fortune 500 company left downtown? These highways aren't one way; they bring people into the city too.
After the 1989 earthquake, San Francisco decided not to rebuild their elevated highways, and replaced them with surface boulevards. Worked out fine.

Regardless, I realize the highways needed to get to the city center somehow, I just disagree with how they were placed. For example, 65 could have crossed the West End Bridge and hooked up with 378 near West Carson Street - leading to the loss of Station Square, and not much else. 279 could have kept most of East Allegheny intact by crawling around the edge of the slopes, and crossing over in the Strip District, with the 279 to 378 connector being where the 10th Street bypass is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
I'm not sure how the Northside has been blocked from pedestrian access from downtown. If anything it improved, as the Ft. Duquesne Bridge, part of the US interstate system, has a nice pedestrian bridge to Heinz Field.
The North Shore has good downtown access. The Northside - at least the part of it that people actually live in - does not.

I was biking a few weeks back with my daughter along the Allegheny Trail, and decided it would be fun to cross into the Northside on the way back (hang out in the park, tour the War Streets, etc). There was some Pirates-related event going on which blocked off Federal Street heading into Allegheny Center from the South, so I decided to ride further west and look for a way into the North Side. Once we passed the Science Center, I took a look at Allegheny Avenue, which is a glorified onramp to 65 at that point, and decided it wasn't worth it. We had a scary ride of a few blocks underneath the T tracks on a street with cars passing us at high speeds, and ended up having to cross at Federal Street anyway.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 07:42 PM

3,996 posts, read 3,083,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The North Shore has good downtown access. The Northside - at least the part of it that people actually live in - does not.
That's just it though. Before the highways and other development, people actually lived in the North Shore. And it was seamlessly connected to the current residential sections of the North Side.

Quote:
I was biking a few weeks back with my daughter along the Allegheny Trail, and decided it would be fun to cross into the Northside on the way back (hang out in the park, tour the War Streets, etc). There was some Pirates-related event going on which blocked off Federal Street heading into Allegheny Center from the South, so I decided to ride further west and look for a way into the North Side. Once we passed the Science Center, I took a look at Allegheny Avenue, which is a glorified onramp to 65 at that point, and decided it wasn't worth it. We had a scary ride of a few blocks underneath the T tracks on a street with cars passing us at high speeds, and ended up having to cross at Federal Street anyway.
This route would be a better alternative. Merchant Street has an ugly/sketchy looking underpass, but I'd say it's safe. I cut through their regularly and never see anyone, either in a car or foot.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,314,583 times
Yeah, there is little point going on at length about why the MFE was a terrible idea, since it is dead now anyway. But I will take a moment to note that many of the much better ideas for improving transportation into the Mon Valley remain viable. So for people who truly care about those communities, there remain many things to support.

And I would also note that I do think there will be an ongoing domino effect of sorts--we've done the PTC, South Side Works, Summerset, and Waterfront, now we are moving on to ALMONO, and perhaps Carrie Furnace around the same time or soon after. Judging from these plans I think we are learning, improving, and adjusting to the growing needs of the core area. Places like Braddock may have to lie fallow for a while longer, but I do think their time will come, and we may be in the position to do quite a bit with them when that time arrives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh