Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 PM

659 posts, read 1,145,888 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is moving to the burg and has her sights upon the north hills area, she has a limited budget of about 170,000 and wants to be in a very safe area and wants a great school...she told me that she has looked into hampton, north hills, ohara, wexford...all over...she works out of her home, her husband travels...so they can live really anywhere up in the north hills...which for some reason is the place they chosen to look for a home.
they asked me about etna, sharpsburg, shaler and fineview...and I had no idea what to say to her, are these safe places with a good school? I told her to look into a real estate agent maybe and that I ask people here...anyone care to help me, help her? And you can pm me of course!
she and I both thank you in advance!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 08:39 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,157 times
Ross Twp. and West View (zip codes 15229 and 15237) are in the North Hills School District. Plenty of homes in that price range, and most of the neighborhoods are safe with good schools ("great" probably being beyond her price range).

Old 12-27-2011, 09:46 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Don't ever go by the zip codes though. The post office doesn't care about municipal boundaries. Just because the house has a 15229 zip doesn't mean it'll be in the North Hills school district.

Otherwise I agree that West View and the parts of Ross near there should have homes in that price range, and North Hills is a good school district.

Fineview is a neighborhood of the city. That's a no for good school in that vicinity.

Etna is in the Shaler Area school district. Shaler Area schools are average-ish, notably less desirable than North Hills, which itself is typically seen as less desirable than North Allegheny, Hampton, Pine-Richland and Fox Chapel though it really isn't significantly so in most ways.

Sharpsburg is in Fox Chapel schools. That makes the latter a great place to get into great schools less expensively, but Sharpsburg is more run down. Still, I don't think it's unsafe.

$170k shouldn't be THAT difficult to find in some parts of those areas. Methinks there is some missing info there, like they want it to have 5BR for that price or something. In Sharpsburg you might be spending about half that; you probably shouldn't buy a house that costs anywhere near $170k there!

Old 12-27-2011, 09:49 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,302 times
Well which North Hills are you talking about??? Are you talking about the actual North Hills like Ross & West View Townships or are you talking about the suburbs north/north east of the city lemits?
-Shaler can range from a nice, safe mid-middle class neighborhood to a kinda rundown gritty working class neighborhood. It just depends what sections you live in yet either way Shaler, in-out is safe. It also has a good but not great school district, Shealer Area SD...
-Enta is a kinda gritty lower-middle class to working class to lower class neighborhood... It's very safe though. It also belongs to the Shealer Area SD
-Sharpsburg is a gritty lower-middle class to working class area it is safe, yet it has drug issues and it is often called a "white ghetto." Although it's got issues it's not actually too bad. I belongs it the Fox Chapel Area SD, which is one of the best schools in the county.
-Fineview is on the northside so it's technically a Pittsburgh neighborhood. There is one bad part, which is the Allegheny Dwelling Projects. Outside of Homewood, the Hill District, & the other Northside housing project Northview Heights it's probably had the most shootings in the city this year. So tell your friend to steer clear of those projects, but other than that Fineview is a fairly safe working class neighborhood.
Like the other poster suggested maybe Ross or Westview would be good places for her to look into...

Old 12-27-2011, 09:59 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Do a search. Not sure what you asked, but I am sure it has been covered many times.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:01 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
A friend of mine is moving to the burg and has her sights upon the north hills area, she has a limited budget of about 170,000 and wants to be in a very safe area and wants a great school...she told me that she has looked into hampton, north hills, ohara, wexford...all over...she works out of her home, her husband travels...so they can live really anywhere up in the north hills...which for some reason is the place they chosen to look for a home.
they asked me about etna, sharpsburg, shaler and fineview...and I had no idea what to say to her, are these safe places with a good school? I told her to look into a real estate agent maybe and that I ask people here...anyone care to help me, help her? And you can pm me of course!
she and I both thank you in advance!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Your friend was on the money initially. Now, she is looking at less desirable areas.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:02 PM

659 posts, read 1,145,888 times
Thanks alot....all of this is great information...I appreciate the help for her! Happy New Year!

Old 12-28-2011, 05:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
All of the areas of the greater North Hills are safe and friendly.

It's the "nice" that varies because some neighborhoods are very old.

But they are still safe and the residents are still friendly.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:30 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Do a search. Not sure what you asked, but I am sure it has been covered many times.
Very helpful.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:28 PM

9,331 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Very helpful.
That's h_curtis for ya.

North Hills is credited, but also look to McCandless (North Allegheny), Hampton, Richland (Pine-Richland), and Indiana (Fox Chapel).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh