U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:07 PM

6,536 posts, read 3,915,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
I don't understand the bottleneck analogy. If you will, this "bottleneck" would improve movement between the neighborhoods.
We see it with freeways. Even if you build a bridge with sidewalks, it doesn't encourage people to move between the two halves much. A freeway is a psychological barrier. A wide park gives the sense that it is no more than a continuation of the usual streetscape.

Don't know what effect an incline would have. But it represents a sliver of a connection and I suppose people would use it if they feel the need to make the "special" trip. It doesn't really bring the areas together; just a means to get there and back.

A mountain or river separates places as well and that more or less won't be overcome, but they at least have aesthetic value. For the most part, people don't sit on the banks of a freeway and watch the road and traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 07:00 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,922,507 times
I think it should be noted that while the transition from the Lower Hill to Downtown was a lot better before Crosstown, they were never really "unified", in part for topographic reasons (the Hill is in fact a hill). Here is an interesting pre-Crosstown photo, with current streets and the location of the Arena marked. It is still clear the Lower Hill and Downtown were adjacent but distinct:

Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 PM

26,087 posts, read 45,298,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
It would also be great to make the area under the Crosstown between Downtown and Soho/Duquesne/Bluff/Uptown/Whatever more pleasing.
LOL! What IS the correct name of that neighborhood, anyways? I've lived here over a year, and I still get people who look at me puzzled when I say I'm making a delivery in SoHo.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:51 PM

4,607 posts, read 2,994,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
LOL! What IS the correct name of that neighborhood, anyways? I've lived here over a year, and I still get people who look at me puzzled when I say I'm making a delivery in SoHo.
Back in the days before Big Bright Blue Branding Street Signage, everything between Robinson Street (western edge of Oakland) and Downtown that wasn't Duquesne was just called the Hill District.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:53 PM

101 posts, read 92,601 times
I think the lower hill would look more connected to downtown if some decent height residential/mixed use (15 stories or so) buildings were erected in the lots closest to downtown. It would give the image of downtown "stepping down" into the hill rather then abruptly endings at crosstown.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I believe Soho really only referred to a neighborhood on the Oakland end, around the Birmingham Bridge.

The Bluff and Uptown, however, seem to be true rivals. I suspect that if it is successfully redeveloped, Uptown may win out in the end.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconlegs View Post
I think the lower hill would look more connected to downtown if some decent height residential/mixed use (15 stories or so) buildings were erected in the lots closest to downtown. It would give the image of downtown "stepping down" into the hill rather then abruptly endings at crosstown.
Last I knew, that was more or less the plan. Visualizing it from Downtown, I think it will definitely communicate that notion of Downtown spilling into that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh