U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-30-2011, 10:11 PM

3,751 posts, read 2,372,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasevemom View Post
Not even to stop paying $2600 a month rent for a tiny 2 bedroom apt? (We have a 2nd baby on the way and college to save for!)
Well, see, I wouldn't have children, either, which moves my opinion into the realm of pure theory as far as your choice is concerned.

I don't think you'll have any diversity issues here. As far as driving here in winter goes, imagine driving down those hills going from 4th street to the beach. Now imagine doing it on ice. Pittsburgh is a very hilly city.

Last edited by jay5835; 12-30-2011 at 10:36 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-30-2011, 10:15 PM

1,125 posts, read 805,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
If I lived in Santa Monica, you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to get me to move to any part of the northeast. I simply wouldn't do it.
Forget Northeast, I wouldn't want to Leave Coastal SoCal.
Rent can be found cheaper outside of Santa Monica (I remember a few years back finding really reasonable rates in Irvine (I think $1400 a month for a 2 bedroom townhouse) which is less or equal to many desirable areas of Pittsburgh (Shadyside, Sq. Hill and Oakland(this is more there rarely ever being a supply issue)). Although the reasonable rents may have gone away since then thanks to the recession and more people being forced to rent over owning

Unread 12-30-2011, 10:16 PM

25,404 posts, read 42,157,353 times
Here's my stab:

Quote:
1. I've heard some mentions that Pittsburgh can be very "gray" for long periods of time. I've had issues with Seasonal Affective Disorder in the past; do you think it's bad enough that you would advise people against living here? Do you go sometimes go 3 months without seeing the sun, like Seattle/Portland, or is it just a week or two at a time?

You rarely go even a full week in Pittsburgh without seeing any sunlight. With that being said, though, our winters here are rather gray overall. My cousin, who is about to finish medical school, says that one way to remedy the "blues" one gets from prolonged lack of sunlight and overcast skies is to take a daily Vitamin D supplement. I personally think I have a mild case of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) myself, so I'm going to experiment with this in the new year. I'm much perkier and much more animated when the sun is shining while I tend to become easily anxious, depressed, and stressed if we go three or four days without any sunlight. I wouldn't advise anyone against moving here if they have SAD. This past summer was VERY sunny, actually, if I do say so myself. I actually enjoy a good rain, too; it feels cathartic.

2. How bad is the icing problem there? I am not afraid of snow, but iced-over parking lots kind of freak me out after some bad experiences in Wisconsin...

Well, ice IS a serious problem here. I was delivering food a couple of weeks ago on a day when we had heavy rains that led to saturated streets followed by falling temperatures. The end result? Pile-up after pile-up after pile-up because the city refused to pre-emptively salt bridges and overpasses (while they idiotically salted the roads yesterday morning in my neighborhood during a snow shower when the snow melted within 20 minutes anyways).

I always post this video to show you what you can expect to deal with here:

Cars Sliding Down Icy Road in Pittsburgh. - YouTube

3. What is the situation like there, racially? We are white but we are used to mingling peaceably with people of all cultures, accents, religions and skin tones. I feel it is especially important for white kids not to grow up thinking "this is just how people look and talk" but to realize we're one of many cultures. Is that possible in Pittsburgh, or do the white folk all huddle together and talk about how the brown people are "ruining" the town?

There's not much in the way of "overt" racism or so-called "reverse-racism" here at all. With that being said there are indeed a lot of self-segregated neighborhoods. There is not one neighborhood in Pittsburgh that I can think of that is majority-black yet also majority-middle-class. Homewood, the Hill District, Lincoln-Lemington, and Larimer all come to mind as majority-black neighborhoods that are downright destitute overall. Then you have places like Point Breeze, Squirrel Hill North, Shadyside, Schenley Farms, etc. that are predominantly white and predominantly affluent. There are some success stories where middle-class blacks and whites do live harmoniously---Highland Park, Stanton Heights, and East Liberty come to mind---but I really do wish there were more.

Unread 12-30-2011, 10:47 PM

268 posts, read 157,730 times
Quote:

1. I've heard some mentions that Pittsburgh can be very "gray" for long periods of time. I've had issues with Seasonal Affective Disorder in the past; do you think it's bad enough that you would advise people against living here? Do you go sometimes go 3 months without seeing the sun, like Seattle/Portland, or is it just a week or two at a time?
Um, I don't believe Seattle/Portland goes 3 months without sun. In fact, I don't believe most places in the world are that bad. I will say though that beginning in November and dragging on until March, Pittsburgh is overcast and grey most days. It is consistently cloudy day in and day out, with some very short brief periods of "brightening" or sun peaking through during those cloudy periods. There's only a small handful of partly sunny/sunny days each winter month. So, you're looking at 20 overcast days every single winter month and about 10 days of sun or less. From what I've seen statistically, Pgh is cloudier than many places in Wisconsin in the winter, especially Milwaukee. April through October, OTOH (and especially summer), are moderately sunny and beautiful.

I agree with Steelcityrising on vitamin D and possible light therapy. Light therapy is probably the most effective. Coming directly from Wisconsin to Pittsburgh may not be an adjustment at all, but sunny Santa Monica is probably pretty major. If you think vitamin D supplementation and light therapy will be ineffective, then I would avoid Pittsburgh at all costs.

Unread 12-30-2011, 11:04 PM

3,860 posts, read 3,224,409 times
That video is frightening, but I have experienced a similar situation and let me tell you, it's traumatic. I was climbing up the side of a ravine in the ice and snow to avoid getting hit by sliding cars. The ambulance driver was trying to persuade me to walk down into the street before the road had been closed off, but I wasn't doing!

But at least now we know why houses in Beechview are so cheap!

Unread 12-30-2011, 11:15 PM

132 posts, read 110,127 times
Quote:
It can get grey for months at a time (with a stray sunny day mixed in every once and awhile) from late fall thru late spring. Pittsburgh actually recieves less sunny days than Portland, and is right up there with Seatlle in terms of overcast days.

www.city-data.com/top2/c477.html

Quote:
2. How bad is the icing problem there? I am not afraid of snow, but iced-over parking lots kind of freak me out after some bad experiences in Wisconsin...
Severe icing only happens a small handfull of times a year, but when it actually does happen it can get pretty dicey (remember, Pitts has lots of steep hills and windy roads). However, a good set of snow tires and some common sense go a long way.
Quote:
3. What is the situation like there, racially? We are white but we are used to mingling peaceably with people of all cultures, accents, religions and skin tones. I feel it is especially important for white kids not to grow up thinking "this is just how people look and talk" but to realize we're one of many cultures. Is that possible in Pittsburgh, or do the white folk all huddle together and talk about how the brown people are "ruining" the town?
!
I can't really comment much on this one; I guess its more of a matter of individual perspective.

It may sound like much, but the upside is living in one of the few northeast cities that has both low unemployment and low cost of living. Good luck!

Unread 12-30-2011, 11:26 PM

86 posts, read 113,140 times
I grew up in Southern California and moved to Pittsburgh as an adult. I love Pittsburgh and had no trouble adjusting from Sunny So Cal to the gray days of South Western Penn.

When you talk diversity in California, usually you are referring white people, black people, asians, hispanics, etc. There is a diversity in Pittsburgh that you really don't get in California. You have Italian Americans, Polish Americans, Irish Americans, etc...and their cultures are celebrated in a way that doesn't happen in California. In California, you aren't Irish, Italian, Polish, German, etc...you are just white.

Living in Pittsburgh I have learned so much about so many different cultural heritages...and not just by going to festivals and fairs. In my neighborhood, I have met such a diverse group of people. I learned how to make pierogi from an elderly polish lady across the street from me. When I first moved here, my Italian neighbor invited my family to her family's feast of the seven fishes on Christmas Eve. My daughter's best friend, down the street is Greek and my kids have learned so much about her heritage and religious beliefs.

Pittsburgh has a diversity that is much different than the diversity you find in Southern California, but there is diversity here and the people of Pittsburgh are so friendly that there is ample opportunity to take part and learn about firsthand, all of the different cultures and countries represented in this region.

Unread 12-31-2011, 12:05 AM

37,266 posts, read 38,414,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
always post this video to show you what you can expect to deal with here:
Although a possibility, that is not the norm for the majority of drivers. After decades of driving in Pittsburgh winters, I have only slide down a hill sideways once, and it was my own stupid fault for going up that hill during a blizzard. I'm crazy like that, I drive in all weather, no matter how bad the storm. I was able to regain control of my car and park it on the side of the road until the next day. I didn't have an accident and nobody smashed into it after I abandoned it for the night. And trust me, the hill I was on was much worse than the one in your video.

Unread 12-31-2011, 12:10 AM

37,266 posts, read 38,414,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJCsMom View Post
I grew up in Southern California and moved to Pittsburgh as an adult. I love Pittsburgh and had no trouble adjusting from Sunny So Cal to the gray days of South Western Penn.

When you talk diversity in California, usually you are referring white people, black people, asians, hispanics, etc. There is a diversity in Pittsburgh that you really don't get in California. You have Italian Americans, Polish Americans, Irish Americans, etc...and their cultures are celebrated in a way that doesn't happen in California. In California, you aren't Irish, Italian, Polish, German, etc...you are just white.

Living in Pittsburgh I have learned so much about so many different cultural heritages...and not just by going to festivals and fairs. In my neighborhood, I have met such a diverse group of people. I learned how to make pierogi from an elderly polish lady across the street from me. When I first moved here, my Italian neighbor invited my family to her family's feast of the seven fishes on Christmas Eve. My daughter's best friend, down the street is Greek and my kids have learned so much about her heritage and religious beliefs.

Pittsburgh has a diversity that is much different than the diversity you find in Southern California, but there is diversity here and the people of Pittsburgh are so friendly that there is ample opportunity to take part and learn about firsthand, all of the different cultures and countries represented in this region.
Thank you for posting this. I take this for granted and assume every city is like this. It's sad that "diverse" cities like LA lack it.

Unread 12-31-2011, 12:30 AM

479 posts, read 520,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJCsMom View Post

Excellent post, and very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh