Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:44 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,819,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I was assuming "cloves" was cloves, not cloves of garlic.
+1, but I have no recipe for it (no fan of cloves).

Quote:
I like the idea of a 40 clove of garlic dish, but I am not sure if others around me would feel the same.
Here's Ina's recipe. It uses two chickens, hence the 40 cloves. Chicken with Forty Cloves of Garlic Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

The recipe I used back in the '70s and '80s, from The Nouvelle Cuisine of Jean and Pierre Troisgros, uses 15 cloves for one chicken. It's wonderful, and not a lot of work IIRC. No one around you would mind; they would simply feel compelled to eat it, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Nouvelle-Cuisi...5522438&sr=1-1

Troisgros Vinegar Chicken Cured Slaw - Toledo Blade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 01:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,917 times
I was thinking that might be where the recipe originated. It brought to mind either a tandori style roasted chicken, or more of a creamy, almost halushki-style casserole. Not sure which one, but both brought me back to thinking of 40 clove chicken as a base.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:42 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,203,460 times
When I first saw this thread, I thought you were talking about the board game Strictly Pittsburgh from the late 1970s. We used to play that all the time as kids.

Strictly Pittsburgh | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

Old 01-03-2012, 07:32 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,813,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My old roommate ( and we ended on very bad terms, so I can't ask her) used to make what she called Hungarian chicken and rice.

...Any one know what I'm talking about?
No, but I'll go ask my mother. Seriously. She's a food scientist. And has a collection of those church cookbooks & other fundraiser cookbooks that have recipes from local people.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:56 PM

No luck. Something like Authentic Hungarian Chicken Paprikas or Hungarian Chicken and Rice is all we can come up with.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:13 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,497,337 times
I grew up in a country where we have lots of Hungarians and i have friends and relatives with this etnicity, so I know their cuisine quite well. I think you are talking about goulash. I also think that she might have put few cloves in it but this is not the norm. I suggest you go to the Hungarian restaurant in Homestead on the first weekend of the month and ask the Hungarian chef in person, but that's my take on it. I do have a Hungarian cook book. Hungarian cooking has ressembles more German/Austrian one. has NOTHING to do with Asian or Ina's chicken with 40 garlics.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:16 PM

Here, maybe it's German? This has cloves, anise, and honey. No tomatoes.

Chicken with Schokoladen sauce

Chicken with Schokoladen Sauce
Serves 2
Ingredients:
2 medium size chicken breasts
1 Cup Onions, finely chopped
3 Tablespoons Olive oil or butter (I love to use butter in sauces as I like the natural taste of it)[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Spice Mix:
1 teaspoon star anise
1 / 4 teaspoons cloves
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 Teaspoon crushed lavender (an immune booster) optional
1 teaspoon salt1 Tablespoon cocoa
1 Tablespoon sugar or honey
2 Tablespoons tomato puree
1 Tablespoon Hungarian sweet paprika powder
2 Cups Chicken stock or water with bouillon
garnish : 1 /2 cup sour cream and some chopped parsley

1 recipe of Geschabt Spätzle (http://www.kitchenproject.com/Spaetzle/Handgeschabt/index.htm - broken link)
Directions:
I simmer the 2 Chicken Breasts in water with a few onions and a bay leaf for 1 hour.
Reserve 2 cups of the stock for the sauce.
I shred the chicken by dragging a fork through the chicken breast with the grain and gently "pull" the meat so that you get the shredded effect. You don't have to shred the meat you can just serve the chicken breast whole.
Once you do this though I think you will agree it is a lovely way to eat Chicken.

Chop the onions finely, and then fry until golden brown.
Add all the spices and mix quickly, in order not to burn them as then you could end up with a bitter taste,
Add the cocoa and the tomato puree and stir it to a good pasty consistency, and quickly add the water and bring all the boil.
As soon as it bubbles, turn the heat down and just let it cook on a small flame with small bubbles. You
could add a little brandy or sherry or red wine, depending on your taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh