Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

I did a google search and apparently last year I researched the Amtrak station for someone. It doesn't have lockers.

Amtrak Station - how safe late at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
With all the wacky crap that I see downtown daily, I don't think people will pay someone any mind who's walking all that way with luggage.
Probably not. I'm being an overprotective mother. If he makes himself aware of his surroundings, he should be fine. Primanti's isn't far.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:28 AM

21 posts, read 52,623 times
Yeah, so far I feel that the best plan is to just head straight to Primanti's as soon as I get there (1am is late but not terribly late) and try to stay there until they just kick me out. I will have paid for food and I don't mind buying something to drink after two hours or so just to prolong my stay, so hopefully they wouldn't mind. If I get out of Primanti's at 4:30am or 5am then it shouldn't be as unsafe to walk back to Mellon Green since I assume a few early workers will be starting their commute and whatnot?

Old 01-03-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuxuan View Post
Yeah, so far I feel that the best plan is to just head straight to Primanti's as soon as I get there (1am is late but not terribly late) and try to stay there until they just kick me out. I will have paid for food and I don't mind buying something to drink after two hours or so just to prolong my stay, so hopefully they wouldn't mind. If I get out of Primanti's at 4:30am or 5am then it shouldn't be as unsafe to walk back to Mellon Green since I assume a few early workers will be starting their commute and whatnot?
You really should be fine with that plan. The Strip is the warehouse district so it's busy at night with truck drivers making deliveries. That's why Primanti's is open all night. If nobody is awake at Mellon Green, the Amtrak station is only two big blocks away.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:43 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Don't know about hanging at primanti's, they might not take kindly to you taking up a seat around 2 am when the bars let out. Check with one of the staff and see if they mind. My experience there is they dont seem to friendly at those hours. good luck.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:20 AM

LMAO! He should be fairly warned that part of Permanti's appeal is they are mean. Sort of like the soup Nazi on Seinfeld. They mess your order up, it's tough luck. People flock there after the bars close for the "experience." Maybe it's not as bad now that they made it a chain with restaurants in the suburbs, but I'd suspect the original in the Strip still has "atmosphere." In other words, Yuxuan, don't take it personally if they bark at you for no reason whatsoever.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:54 PM

21 posts, read 52,623 times
Hello everyone! It's almost time for me to hop on my bus to Pittsburgh - I will leave this Tuesday, Valentine's Day at around 6pm and get there at around 12:45am. I found out that Occupy Pittsburgh was evicted, so I guess my plan now is Primanti's and then hotel lobbies, hoping they won't kick me out.

What do you guys think? Winter has been milder than usual, weather.com tells me the overnight low will be 34F on Tuesday and it'll be snowing. I guess that's not bad at all seeing as it's above freezing! I will be dragging a small luggage, and carrying a travel handbag with nothing important in it (just snacks, maybe headphones and a book).

Old 02-12-2012, 03:51 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Sort of makes a case for trying to make that general area a 24/7 zone. Although I don't mean soley for the need of the occasional layover traveler. Be nice to have an area of activity in Pittsburgh that never closes.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:59 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Sort of makes a case for trying to make that general area a 24/7 zone. Although I don't mean soley for the need of the occasional layover traveler. Be nice to have an area of activity in Pittsburgh that never closes.
...there's always the McDonald's in Oakland. I swear I see folks set up their laptops with paperwork or reading novels there. It's the closest thing Pittsburgh has to a 24/7 library. Sad but true.

(though that wouldn't help someone with an overnight Downtown layover with no PAT buses running)

Old 02-12-2012, 05:54 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Anybody who opens a 24-hour business near the bus/train terminals will make a killing. They can sell snacks and drinks like at a convenience store, sandwiches like at a deli, and have a lounge with wi-fi and TVs all for, say, a $5 cover charge. The corner of downtown up by the Gulf Tower doesn't have enough going on for a multi-modal transportation point.

As for walking to Primanti Bros., it'll take you probably 20 minutes or so to get there by foot. It's kind of dark under the Veterans Bridge, but otherwise it's light enough for sight. Just make sure you look like you know where you're going, although I don't think you'll have a problem if you pass anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh