U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-02-2012, 09:05 AM

21 posts, read 24,905 times
Default Overnight Layover in Downtown Pittsburgh, what to do?

I'm taking a bus trip to Chicago and I will have to wait in Pittsburgh from 1am to 7am. I think it would be inconvenient to stay at a hotel (considering that the whole point of going by bus was to save money - and I did) but I'm a tad concerned about safety. I have read that Pittsburgh is generally safe, and the bus will stop in the Cultural District, right next to Union Station.

Is it too dangerous to walk around the area at midnight, should I head straight to Union Station and spend the night there? Will they even let me? If not, any other place that will be open around the area I could go to (I'm willing to take a bus or train if they're running at that hour)
Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-02-2012, 09:21 AM

2,249 posts, read 1,682,799 times
to be honest, nothing will be open. you may get a few starbucks opening at 6ish but nothing else. union station? are you talking about penn station? the greyhound terminal near the amtrak station? or are you talking about the mega bus station?

Unread 01-02-2012, 09:23 AM

Yes, the Amtrak station. I was pretty much guessing the name. :P Nothing in the cultural district will be open? No theaters? :/

Unread 01-02-2012, 09:29 AM

20,274 posts, read 16,236,844 times
The Grant Street Transportation Center (which is a glorified name for a parking garage and Greyhound bus station) is open 24 hours.

The only other thing I could think to do is go hang out in a hotel lobby, and hope they don't kick you out.

Unread 01-02-2012, 09:31 AM

541 posts, read 561,467 times
They might let you into the Amtrak station, but trust me, it's nothing fancy. You should be safe walking around, but there will probably not be anything open. You'd probably be better off sticking around the Greyhound station.
Some theaters or whatever might still be open when you arrive depending on what's showing when, but it's not like you can pop in at 1am to see a show. There will probably be bars and restaurants still open until 2 at least. Between 2 and 6 I doubt there will be anything of significance open.

Unread 01-02-2012, 09:33 AM

3,751 posts, read 2,369,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuxuan View Post
I'm taking a bus trip to Chicago and I will have to wait in Pittsburgh from 1am to 7am. I think it would be inconvenient to stay at a hotel (considering that the whole point of going by bus was to save money - and I did) but I'm a tad concerned about safety. I have read that Pittsburgh is generally safe, and the bus will stop in the Cultural District, right next to Union Station.

Is it too dangerous to walk around the area at midnight, should I head straight to Union Station and spend the night there? Will they even let me? If not, any other place that will be open around the area I could go to (I'm willing to take a bus or train if they're running at that hour)
Here's a list of things that are open all night, from PittStop Lindy Hop 2011 Pittsburgh, PA's 11th Annual Lindy Hop Exchange! (http://www.pittstoplindyhop.com/hoteats.html - broken link) :

24 hour & late night eateries
Ritter's Diner Shadyside: 5221 Baum Blvd., 15224, 412-682-4852 $ Classic diner, always busy and good service
Wendy's Shadyside: 5422 Baum Blvd., 15224, 412-687-3670 $ Fast food
Eat 'n Park Squirrel Hill: 1816 Murray Ave., 15217, 412-422-7203 $ Short order Family restaurant and smiley cookies!
Jo Jo's Diner 110 24th St., 15222 $ Great breakfasts. Open all night but closes during the day
Primanti Brothers Strip District: 46 18th Street, 15222, (412) 263-2142 $ World famous pub. Known for their "all in" sandwiches. Fries and Slaw and All. Open 24 hours

Does anyone know any jitney numbers? They'd be the best way to get around at that hour.

Last edited by jay5835; 01-02-2012 at 10:15 AM..

Unread 01-02-2012, 09:35 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,041,814 times
Take a cab to Ritters in Shadyside. It's always open, and you could kill some time there. Cab would probably be $10 each way.

Then there's always the strip club option. . .

Kidding! Ya, I would also probably try loafing (perfect chance to use that word) in a hotel lobby.

Unread 01-02-2012, 09:37 AM

2,249 posts, read 1,682,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuxuan View Post
Yes, the Amtrak station. I was pretty much guessing the name. :P Nothing in the cultural district will be open? No theaters? :/
from 1am-7am, you will not find anything open, except for the bars that close at 2. you will actually not be right in the cultural district, but more southeast of it. you will kind of be between the cultural district, strip district, consol energy center and downtown. if i were you, I'd just hang out at the station or find a bar til 2, have a few drinks, and then just find a hotel lobby or go back to the station and wait it out. sounds like a long trip!

PS. Union Station is in Chicago (the train station), so that's probably where you got it. It's unfortunate that you are coming to chicago during what seems to be a brief cold spell..It's going to be close to 50 on friday if you stick around til then though

Unread 01-02-2012, 09:44 AM

9,865 posts, read 7,545,392 times
Unfortunately it's a tough time to be stuck down there. It's not dangerous, but there's nothing to do at that time of night. To get to most anything that is open past maybe 2am when bars close you'd need a cab.

I guess you could venture walking into the Strip down to Primanti's; the Strip District location (which is what is really meant above, on 18th St, not "Oakland") is open 24 hours. And yeah JoJo's is supposed to be open all night, a few blocks farther, but I haven't ever personally confirmed those hours and by some indications they might have changed. Ritter's you'd need a cab.

The bus station on 11th and Liberty/Grant is newer than the train station (just reopened a year or two ago) and more likely to be open to you, but I'm not sure what it's like in there. This is a short walk (just a block or so) from where the Megabus (presumably) stops. There is a hotel right by the Megabus stop, the Westin, a large enough one that you might not be too out of place sitting in a lobby at night. But be prepared to have to move after while. Or maybe slip them some cash? I'm sure there's a bar in the hotel so maybe if you hit that up for the remaining time they'll be amenable to you hanging out for a few more hours. It's going to take until about 6 I think before anything reopens for you nearby, though, and even that might be pushing it. I was going to suggest having breakfast at Hanlon's around the corner on Liberty, but they don't even open until 7.

Unread 01-02-2012, 09:47 AM

Hm, it seems I do have at least a few options beside staying outside in the bitter cold. I will probably not go too far from where the bus will leave me and I will probably return to the bus stop an hour before the next bus leaves so it really reduces the amount of time I'll be around to about 5 hours. I could try hopping from hotel lobby to lobby or see if I can stay at the Amtrak station, I guess. Thanks guys!

My greatest concern was safety, but it seems that won't be a problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh