U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:43 AM

7 posts, read 8,865 times

Advertisements

We are relocating and are looking into various areas around the city and are now considering Hampton Township. I have read some articles on-line about its great school system and its family-friendly community.

Could anyone who lives there provide me with more specifics?

I have looked at the school district website and even received a relocation packet on behalf of the school district, but I am really looking for information that comes from the parent perspective. We have young children so I would also like to know more about the school district other than their testing accolades.

What makes this school district unique or a stand out in the area?

Is one elementary school viewed better than another? This would be helpful as we are looking into homes.

Do administrators and teachers work well together? work well with parents? Is there generally a good teacher/student rapport?

What are the middle school and high schools like, in terms of courses, activities, and facilities?

How would you perceive the school districts ability to deal with ... teaching tolerance? bullying? drugs? etc.

Why has the township been honored with the distinction as family-friendly? What specifically makes it more family-friendly than others in the area? What community events are held?

Does the township or any other business located in the township have strong youth programs, particularly soccer and tae kwon do?

How convenient are shopping and restaurants?

I know I asked a lot of questions, but we are just trying to get a feel for the area.

Any information or anecdotes one could provide would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 AM

26,565 posts, read 47,421,632 times
Hopes is a parent and lives in Hampton Township, so hopefully she will be along shortly to help.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:02 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife11 View Post
We are relocating and are looking into various areas around the city and are now considering Hampton Township. I have read some articles on-line about its great school system and its family-friendly community.

Could anyone who lives there provide me with more specifics?

I have looked at the school district website and even received a relocation packet on behalf of the school district, but I am really looking for information that comes from the parent perspective. We have young children so I would also like to know more about the school district other than their testing accolades.

What makes this school district unique or a stand out in the area?

Is one elementary school viewed better than another? This would be helpful as we are looking into homes.

Do administrators and teachers work well together? work well with parents? Is there generally a good teacher/student rapport?

What are the middle school and high schools like, in terms of courses, activities, and facilities?

How would you perceive the school districts ability to deal with ... teaching tolerance? bullying? drugs? etc.

Why has the township been honored with the distinction as family-friendly? What specifically makes it more family-friendly than others in the area? What community events are held?

Does the township or any other business located in the township have strong youth programs, particularly soccer and tae kwon do?

How convenient are shopping and restaurants?

I know I asked a lot of questions, but we are just trying to get a feel for the area.

Any information or anecdotes one could provide would be appreciated.
I would avoid it like the plague. Prices are high, traffic is horrible, and the police force is borderline corrupt. I lived there for 20 years and wouldn't move back there if you gave me a free house.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 AM

3,391 posts, read 3,149,984 times
A friend lives there and really likes it. One knock is that the municipal pool is way too crowded if you have young kids. Plan or budget a private swim club/country club.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:12 AM
gg

11,714 posts, read 8,081,665 times
Taxes are crazy high, but the school has a pretty good reputation.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:25 PM

847 posts, read 718,405 times
I don't live in Hampton but within a few miles of it. Cannot speak intimately on the schools but overall it is a nice area. Typical suburban area with some pockets of very expensive properties, some typical cookie cutter developments, and some in between. It is convenient to shopping--smaller scale to route 8 with some free standing stores and in the other direction to Ross Park Mall. It is a fairly easy shot into the city going down route 8. Very little crime, quiet, small area. Alot of nice wooded lots. The previous poster is frankly is the only negative opinion I have ever heard of Hampton--other than ones coming from someone making general negatives about suburbs.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:42 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,003,837 times
I don't think there is anything in particular about Hampton that sets it apart from most of the suburban north hills. That's not really a bad thing, almost all of the north hills is a nice place to live. I wouldn't talk you out of Hampton if you find a house there you like but limiting your search to just Hampton doesn't make sense to me.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:05 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,837,836 times
The main advantage Hampton has on other affluent northern suburban townships is the small public school system. North Allegheny has 8k students and Fox Chapel has 4500 students; whereas, Hampton only has 3k students. Hampton has 250 students in a graduating class and North Allegheny has 800 in a graduating class. That lends the schools to having more a community environment.

I'll provide more detailed information when I have time to post.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:45 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
I don't live in Hampton but within a few miles of it. Cannot speak intimately on the schools but overall it is a nice area. Typical suburban area with some pockets of very expensive properties, some typical cookie cutter developments, and some in between. It is convenient to shopping--smaller scale to route 8 with some free standing stores and in the other direction to Ross Park Mall. It is a fairly easy shot into the city going down route 8. Very little crime, quiet, small area. Alot of nice wooded lots. The previous poster is frankly is the only negative opinion I have ever heard of Hampton--other than ones coming from someone making general negatives about suburbs.
Scenically Hampton is nice. The problem is the township has never addressed certain issues that have existed for 30+ years. The townships population has increased dramatically in the last 30 years but there have been no major improvements to the road system. They were very loose on zoning so some areas have extreme concentrations of housing. Drive up Route 8 or the feeder roads around rush hour or a Saturday afternoon and see what it is like. While many suburbs have similar problems I though Hampton was one of the worst of the worst. I was happy when I moved and never intent on going back.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:03 PM

847 posts, read 718,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Scenically Hampton is nice. The problem is the township has never addressed certain issues that have existed for 30+ years. The townships population has increased dramatically in the last 30 years but there have been no major improvements to the road system. They were very loose on zoning so some areas have extreme concentrations of housing. Drive up Route 8 or the feeder roads around rush hour or a Saturday afternoon and see what it is like. While many suburbs have similar problems I though Hampton was one of the worst of the worst. I was happy when I moved and never intent on going back.
I am very familiar with what you are speaking about however I really do not see it as much different than any of the route 8 suburbs or Cranberry--which is much worse traffic wise. It is typical of suburbs. But even with that frankly driving it every day for rush hour traffic I did not think it was that bad. I am also thru Hampton regularly on weekends. But then I have lived in much more congested areas of the country and overall think pgh traffic is minimal in comparison. If you lived there 30 years ago I can understand your objection to the growth as you have a different perspective and probably felt the loss of a more rural like suburban life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh