U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:00 PM

4 posts, read 10,458 times

Advertisements

Hi All!!

I am new to the South Hills area, just moved from Arizona and I am looking for a good martial arts school to join. I'd like to stay local in the south hills area if possible since I am still getting to know my way around. I recently made a new years resolution to get back into the sport and also I always enjoyed the training aspect and self defense aspect. Is anyone currently enrolled any where? How do you like it? Any suggestions of anyone who has gone somewhere and had a good experience? Any and all help is welcomed. I would like to find a place the has night or evening classes since I work just about all day. Great to be in the steel city I already love this place for only being here a few months!!!

Please get a hold of me as soon as possible because I would like to start soon.

Thank you

Kj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 11:20 PM

30,184 posts, read 67,327,076 times
Unfortunately I can't really be of service to you; however, I just wanted to welcome you to the area and commend you for your enthusiasm! The people I've met in this town who have the most pride in it tend to have immigrated to Pittsburgh from elsewhere while the majority (not all) natives I met grumble about this place like the grass is always greener elsewhere. I've been here just over a year now, and I love it more and more each day (save for the terrible drivers, but that's for a separate rant!) LOL!

Best of luck in tracking down a good martial arts school in the South Hills! My cousins back "home" in Scranton are heavily involved in the sport, and I've always really admired them for it.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:55 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,484,439 times
I'm not very knowledgeable about the South Hills, but I'd recommend Allegheny Aikido: A Community Dojo in Pittsburgh regardless.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:06 AM

4,601 posts, read 5,763,859 times
I trained here for several years in my younger days in Kung Fu:

Martial Arts Instruction, Self Defense, Muay Thai, Castle Shannon, PA

Mr. Daniels is a great man. Very patient, friendly, and he is the absolute real deal, take my word on that one. I learned so much from that class aside from punching and kicking that shaped me into the adult that I am today. Can't speak highly enough of his teachings.

This place also has high marks:

Pittsburgh Gracie Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/Self Defense Karate

I don't have any experience with them but I hear good things.

Beware of "belt factories". I went to two other schools (who I won't name) when I was younger and they told little in the way of discipline and theory and a lot about buying belts/gi's/other merch instead. If you get a vibe from an instructor that he's more of a American used car salesman rather than a disciplined teacher stay far far away.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:07 AM

25 posts, read 145,104 times
I have not been there personally, but in my moving from Columbus to Pittsburgh, South Hills Judo was interesting to my personal style of martial arts Welcome to South Hills Judo

Old 01-06-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriott001 View Post
I have not been there personally, but in my moving from Columbus to Pittsburgh, South Hills Judo was interesting to my personal style of martial arts Welcome to South Hills Judo

Old 01-06-2012, 07:46 AM

56 posts, read 74,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I trained here for several years in my younger days in Kung Fu:

Martial Arts Instruction, Self Defense, Muay Thai, Castle Shannon, PA

Mr. Daniels is a great man. Very patient, friendly, and he is the absolute real deal, take my word on that one. I learned so much from that class aside from punching and kicking that shaped me into the adult that I am today. Can't speak highly enough of his teachings.
I just saw the sign for this place the other day, as someone who used to fight Muay Thai, I was thinking about looking for a place in the area that I could train at (no interest in fighting in the ring again though).

Do adults train there? Do they have separate sessions just for Muay Thai?

Old 01-06-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeh8 View Post
I just saw the sign for this place the other day, as someone who used to fight Muay Thai, I was thinking about looking for a place in the area that I could train at (no interest in fighting in the ring again though).

Do adults train there? Do they have separate sessions just for Muay Thai?
I never took Muay Thai but I worked with a guy a few years ago that took it there. He loved it and said they kicked your ass with the training portion. When I was there for Kung Fu it was all adults and I was the only youth.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:55 AM

56 posts, read 74,596 times
Thanks, that sounds like what I am looking for. I will give them a call.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:02 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,935,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post

the above is Steel City Martial Arts, it's a great school...especially if you have interest in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

You have another choice, which may be a bit further, but also cheaper. It's an affiliate of Steel City.

Pittsburgh: Martial Arts, Self Defense, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

they just started the BJJ program not too long ago, and it's taking off fairly well. Along with BJJ, they have a full scale weight gym, and other martial arts such as, Krav Maga, Muay Thai, and Wrestling!

Either would be a great choice to stay in shape...i know these places personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh