U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-06-2012, 11:32 PM

3,135 posts, read 5,167,682 times
Evidently people like this stuff. You can get something big like this for cheap. Maybe the artists in China are starving? It is successful or it wouldn't be going on for so many years. I don't know about art, I don't find paintings by the "masters" particularly fascinating although the prices are. Let people buy what they like and can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-06-2012, 11:46 PM

10,273 posts, read 5,976,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Evidently people like this stuff. You can get something big like this for cheap. Maybe the artists in China are starving? It is successful or it wouldn't be going on for so many years. I don't know about art, I don't find paintings by the "masters" particularly fascinating although the prices are. Let people buy what they like and can afford.
Why don't they just say, art for sale cheap. We are an importer and artists in the US will not make a nickel off this sale. We import Chinese art for cheap. Heck we all buy Chinese garbage anyway. Even a Krups coffee maker is now made in China. Of course it is now looked at as a disposable item instead of something that will last, but maybe this crap art will be looked upon in the same fashion. It will never be worth anything, because there are countless crap art items that all look the same out there. Is it even art? I mean no artist actually started with a blank canvas and finished a painting. They just put a part of the painting on the canvas and passed it to someone else. Ah, it doesn't matter. I like art and I don't expect anyone on this yinzer board to understand the concept. Go out an buy your velvet Elvis. It will no doubt make you happy. Drive your duelly down and get yourself one. 99.00 max framed. Great stuff in your circles no doubt.

Unread 01-07-2012, 05:25 AM

18,548 posts, read 12,665,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Why don't they just say, art for sale cheap.
LOL hey, that's actually a pretty catchy name. They could bill it as "ironic art" and make a ton of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Go out an buy your velvet Elvis. It will no doubt make you happy.
What can I say after a comment like that except: "Thank you--thank you very much"

Alas, I have no velvet Elvis, but I do have a bird print in my dining room that I cut out from a calendar and framed. That's gotta be just as good! And yes, it does make me happy. So does being able to put 4 kids in college (and being able to retire this year). But that's what makes me happy--as long as you're spending your money on the things that really make you happy it's all good.

And you know what, if you have money to spend on fine art, it's a nice thing to collect. There's something to be said for being able to gaze at a fine piece of art in your own living room, while peons like me have to take the kids down to the art museum.

Plus, with fine art in your own home you'll never have to deal with the occasional horrifying exhibit. What if the Carnegie should decide to run an exhibit on velvet Elvis paintings (hey, you never know--the Smithsonian had an exhibit on Paint By Number last year ).

Last edited by Caladium; 01-07-2012 at 05:53 AM..

Unread 01-07-2012, 07:10 AM

9,867 posts, read 7,681,262 times
Why is the argument for what this company does "Oh, well, not everyone has mega $$$$ to spend on fine art." There is plenty of art to buy that's not mega $$$$. Also, one can buy prints, etc. There are any number of things one can hang on the wall as opposed to these manufactured paintings. The idea that there's nothing in between, or even that there's nothing in some people's price range except this stuff, is ridiculous.

Unread 01-07-2012, 10:46 AM

Prints are great--I have a few that I really like. But, the complaints people here have about the SA paintings apply to prints, too. They're manufactured. They're usually made in another country, and the companies that sell them here make the profit while lowly paid workers have repetitive and formulaic jobs operating the equipments that makes the prints.

Unread 01-07-2012, 10:55 AM

6,655 posts, read 8,593,352 times
Frankly, considering that a lot of people will stretch fabric over a stretcher frame and slap that on the wall and call it art, I'm amazed this place is still doing business.

It's just crap to fill up an empty space on your wall.

Unread 01-07-2012, 11:14 AM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,338 posts, read 4,594,811 times
My take on the OP is that the complaint is about transparency - not about who is starving or what is art. Using the print/poster example for comparison...it's rare for sellers to try to pass off a print/poster as anything other than what it is - one of many simple, relatively inexpensive copies. What some people find irksome about these mega starving-artist sales is that, even though most people can see with their own eyes that these are mass produced warehouse pieces, the promoters try to pass them off as one-of-a-kind works of fine art. The word original in the ads makes people think unique - when really, these are no more unique or skilfully produced than a paint by numbers canvas. Artistic quality aside, if people see what they like and can afford to take it home and enjoy it then that's great - but it's misleading to make them think they just bought a unique piece of fine art.

Unread 01-07-2012, 11:42 AM

9,867 posts, read 7,681,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Prints are great--I have a few that I really like. But, the complaints people here have about the SA paintings apply to prints, too. They're manufactured. They're usually made in another country, and the companies that sell them here make the profit while lowly paid workers have repetitive and formulaic jobs operating the equipments that makes the prints.
But they're not sold with misleading claims. Everyone knows a print is a reproduction. Anyway, a manufactured print is only one example and not really what I had in mind. You can find prints made by the artists themselves, for example. And don't think only in terms of what sits in a frame as being the only thing suitable for a wall.

Unread 01-07-2012, 03:41 PM

This has all been very thought provoking. I've been having fun playing Devil's Advocate with this but now I'm waxing philosophic. What's the deeper meaning of it all, and if a single word in a cheesy tv ad is the root cause of all this disdain, why on earth do they run this ad?

If only this company realized how their ad is hurting them. They should try an experiment and hold another sale with a much classier ad. They could probably use all the same words, minus the word "original". Would they draw a lot more customers?

Even more thought provoking, it's an unnecessary word. It won't bring in more customers because those who might be attracted by the word "original" would leave the moment they saw 5 copies of the same scene stacked together. And those who don't care if a painting is original will buy their paintings without the offensive word in the advertisement.

So what drives companies to create cheesy ads like that?

It's hard to believe the cheesiness itself is what attracts the customers (Although you never know--I do admit a guilty pleasure when it comes to ads like this. The cheerful tackiness is hilarious.) Meanwhile, ads like that set off a wave of disdain. And the anger is not only against the company, but also against those who dare to be a customer. That's a serious amount of disdain. Anyone who goes to this sale or hangs one of these painting in their home is to be sneered at, and it's all because there's a dubious word in a tv ad. What's the thrust here? Is the implication that anyone who buys this product is guilty of aiding and abetting a scallywag? (Or, at least, a company that's bending the truth?)

Don't know the answer but I'm sure having fun over analyzing all of this. . As Mr. Spock would say: "Fascinating." Great thread, guys. Fun topic, and thought provoking too.

Last edited by Caladium; 01-07-2012 at 03:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh