Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:15 AM

24 posts, read 123,913 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Homewood to Monticello St--does anyone think this is truly dangerous? Do any other whites live in Homewood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 07:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid77 View Post
I am thinking of moving to Homewood to Monticello St--does anyone think this is truly dangerous?
I think it's truly dangerous. It's right in the middle of Brushton. Goodness, it's not even on the outskirts.

Quote:
Do any other whites live in Homewood?
I don't know the percentage. I just know that Pimps will tell you that you'd be crazy to move into Homewood.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:36 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Quote:
I am thinking of moving to Homewood to Monticello St--does anyone think this is truly dangerous? Do any other whites live in Homewood?
Homewood is generally considered as the most dangerous place to live in the Pittsburgh metro area. Whether it's "truly dangerous" ultimately depends on your own assessment of what is safe and what isn't, but I think it is.

As for your other question, according to the 2000 Census, the census tract Monticello St is in is 96.1% black (out of 2,637 people). The census tract just south of it is 96.5% black (out of 1,913). The census tract just north is 96.3% black (out of 1,632). The larger census tract northeast is 84.4% black (out of 5,067), and the census tract just northwest is 93.4% black (out of 2,234). Finally, the census tract just west is 88.9% black (out of 1,274). Here's a link:

US census maps

Clearly, the answer is yes, other whites live in Homewood and around it, else the figures above would all have been 100%

Old 09-01-2007, 09:12 AM

Some of the homes are so beautiful--I know it sounds ridiculous but the homes have 4-6 bedrooms usually two bathrooms, french doors--such beautiful architecture and in such a convenient location--it's ashame not to take advantage of the prices and let the neighborhood destory itself. Perhaps we will buy the house and sit on it--the homes in Homewood are truly magnificent! Such a surprise...perhaps if more young professionals move in, we can change the area?

Old 09-01-2007, 09:56 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Quote:
Some of the homes are so beautiful--I know it sounds ridiculous but the homes have 4-6 bedrooms usually two bathrooms, french doors--such beautiful architecture and in such a convenient location--it's ashame not to take advantage of the prices and let the neighborhood destory itself. Perhaps we will buy the house and sit on it--the homes in Homewood are truly magnificent! Such a surprise...perhaps if more young professionals move in, we can change the area?
Why would they move there? The problem is, it's incredibly cheap, but there are many other urban places in the Pittsburgh area (an example close to Homewood: East Liberty) that have similar houses, not as cheap but still very affordable for young professionals, just as convenient if not more, and that are light-years ahead in terms of revitalization and crime control.

I don't know enough about revitalization to give you specific examples of how neighborhoods in other cities similar to Homewood, with potential but in a terrible situation, turned it around and became desirable. I would guess that contributing factors for such turnarounds are 1) massive local/state/federal investments in the area, and 2) people who are priced out of surrounding neighborhoods and who take a chance with the bad neighborhood because it's really the only place they can afford. From what I know there are examples of this second factor in NYC (parts of Brooklyn, perhaps Harlem) and DC. Pittsburgh's still in a very different situation in terms of demographics, growth and economics than those two cities.

Currently in Pittsburgh, some people may be priced out of Shadyside and the Southside, but that's it. They have plenty of other places to turn to, such as Friendship, Brighton Heights, parts of Highland Park, or Regent Square, and many other neighborhoods that may not have as much potential but are very affordable and do not suffer from Homewood's problems (Bloomfield, Morningside, Carrick). My opinion is that if you buy that house and you sit on it, you're looking at a 20-year investment before you see any returns, and the magnitude of those returns is very hard to predict at this point.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:36 AM

Hopes---I find it hard to beleive that you would want to discuss real estate with pimps or that you have.

Barn--I don't know--they are redoing Wilkinsberg which connects to homewood--I don't think the investment would take 20 years--I give it 10, tops--they did put money into the Homewood library and the Y there...I have heard they are putting millions into the high school...but I am going to put my daughter in private schools...

Last edited by Mermaid77; 09-01-2007 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-01-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Hopes---I find it hard to beleive that you would want to discuss real estate with pimps or that you have.
Pimps is a member here on citydata, Mermaid.

He grew up in the ghetto. He knows what he's talking about.

If Pimps says a neighborhood is too dangerous, you'd be wise to believe him.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:47 AM

457 posts, read 431,383 times
Quote:
Wow. I don't believe that there is much chance that Homewood will ever change. If you buy a home there, I think you'll find that you'll be buying nothing but trouble and headaches.

You must ask yourself: WHY is it that homes are so drastically cheaper?

Old 09-01-2007, 11:50 AM

492 posts, read 2,371,951 times
I drove through Homewood for the first time a couple weekends ago trying to avoid the rerouted 376 traffic. I too was surprised by the architecture of some of the houses. It does have a lot of potential. And it was surprisingly close to a really nice part of town. I turned down Dallas Ave (if I remember correctly) and within a few blocks I was in a gorgeous, tree-lined neighborhood (which I'm not sure what that is considered, maybe Point Breeze???) Homewood did seem fairly dangerous, but the housing was more intact than other "bad" neighborhoods I've been through in Cleveland, Detroit or even Youngstown. I also drove through Penn Hills (for the first time) and parts seemed pretty rough as well.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
Wow. I don't believe that there is much chance that Homewood will ever change.
I agree. Last time we were discussing Homewood on here, we looked at some of the real estate on the assessement website. We were amazed to see how property values have dropped just within the past 10 years. Property purchased for 20k is now worth a mere $700 dollars at times! That's outrageous. There's simply no way Homewood is going anywhere but down. The buildings are slowly being torn down as they deteriorate. Eventually, I suspect Homewood might simply cease to exist---50+ years from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh