Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:43 PM

68 posts, read 150,505 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about Oak Manor Apts? They have a lot of listings on craigslist, but I'm kind of wary. The apartments are managed by Lobos Management and I've heard a lot of bad things about them based on reviews. I also found a post gazette article from 2006 about a woman and her son who moved into Oak Manor and had a bad experience. The article mentioned that she was on Section 8 and SSI, so is this low-income housing? Have things changed since then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 10:50 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Personally, I wouldn't rent in any apartment complex in Penn Hills, but maybe that's just me.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:20 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
I'm not familiar with it but the location might be good except the rent is 34% less than the average around. Why? The interior looks nice - check it out on this link:

Apartment for Rent - $429 - oak manor.....apartment..penn hills. (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) - PadMapper

Or here where it rates 4 of 5 stars by 494 reviewers:
143 Oak Manor Place, Penn Hills PA - Trulia

The quality of life in Penn Hills is low. The township has been mismanaged for decades and it has been in a steady and slow decline since the 1970s. This location looks good on a map - it's near Plum. You might be able to walk to shopping and a supermarket and Monroeville and Plum, the two largest shopping areas in the east, are nearby. Bus transportation is fairly good because of the large population (45,000?).

I lived in Penn Hills twice when I was younger (1970s) and going through hard times. One of the places was near this on Leechburg Road. I hated living in Penn Hills but it was bearable because of the price and the people.

If I was upside down on my money I would consider living there if I knew more like what it looked like in the daytime and at night. Lower Burrell and New Ken could be better options.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Lower Burrell and New Ken could be better options.
Wow. You know Penn Hills has really gone downhill when New Kensington is considered a "better option".

Old 01-08-2012, 12:54 PM

68 posts, read 150,505 times
Thanks for the links, PeterRabbit. I checked out trulia.com and the property has around 494 positive ratings but only 8 typed reviews? I have doubts about moving there.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:53 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,284 times
We've loved living here for the past year or so, but that's in a home on a close-knit street. I can't even begin to imagine living in an apartment complex in an iffy neighbourhood. Run away.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
I really don't see Penn Hills as being a warzone or anything, more or less an economically depressed area (other examples would be areas such as Brentwood or West Mifflin). It is a HUGE municipality so if it were me I would spend a day exploring the area the complex is in and see if you would be comfortable calling it home. I personally wouldn't think twice about living in Penn Hills (well other than the Parkway East traffic, different rant for a different day). Anyways good luck

Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Those apartments don't seem to have any major issues but... It's close to a totally differnt story though... Leechburg Garderns which is a rapidly declining, all ready rough section 8 complex of Leechburg Road, the next extended street over.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:55 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Wow. You know Penn Hills has really gone downhill when New Kensington is considered a "better option".
Alright, you are new here and I lived in Oakmont for over 50 years and you know more about New Ken than me? Penn Hills has always been low class and gets worse every year.

Drive up Rt. 28 and cross the Tarentum Bridge. Tons of retail and suburban housing. Real people without guns and bad attitudes.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:40 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
I really don't see Penn Hills as being a warzone or anything, more or less an economically depressed area (other examples would be areas such as Brentwood or West Mifflin). It is a HUGE municipality so if it were me I would spend a day exploring the area the complex is in and see if you would be comfortable calling it home. I personally wouldn't think twice about living in Penn Hills (well other than the Parkway East traffic, different rant for a different day). Anyways good luck
Brentwood and West Mifflin are very nice areas. I definitely wouldn't put them in the "economically depressed" category. Century III mall, perhaps. Penn Hills still has a lot of nice areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh