U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-13-2012, 09:20 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,948,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
Or don't take another ramp onto the Bridge. On days that I drive to work, I can leave my office at 5:00 downtown, walk six blocks to the First Avenue Parking, pay for parking, drive out of the garage, down Ross Street, turn on Forbes, get on the ramp to the Liberty Bridge and go over the bridge and through the tunnel and walk in my door at 5:35. I live on the far side of Brookline in the corner that borders Mt. Lebo.

I've lived East, West and South. I find the Liberty Bridge to be the least backed up compared to the Parkway East, or Fort Pitt Bridge at 5:00. (Not that I took those routes often when I lived in those directions, but I did get stuck doing so on occasion.)
I have a friend that lives in Mt. Lebanon and he does this very same thing. However, he parks in the Manor garage and it is even quicker because you make a right out of the garage and then a right onto the ramp for the Liberty Bridge. He lives close to Dormont line and his commute is 20 minutes.Mt. Lebanon is great (commute wise) if you live in the right part.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 02:59 PM

1,255 posts, read 777,975 times
From Mt lebanon I can be dowtown in 30-40 min by train or by bus. There's two lines (blue and red) and it's fantastic and convenient.

I've never ever sat in traffic horribly like the person from north hills said and i have lived in Mt lebo for 17years now.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:44 PM

193 posts, read 128,638 times
The biggest con is if you have kids: The high school is miserable. You kids will be never be the same. It is undergoing a huge renovation now, but doubtless will be the same disaster as before when done. Why? Rude elitist teachers. Huge drinking/drug culture. No diversity and elitism (~1% african american population). Not a whole lot of fighting, but tons of dysfunction. I would never send my kids anywhere near that place. Send your kids to private high school! Winchester Thurston or Shadyside Academy will do. (Hope the voucher system actually gets implemented.) - 2009 MT LEBO HIGH Graduate

Old 01-15-2012, 07:34 AM

717 posts, read 565,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
The biggest con is if you have kids: The high school is miserable. You kids will be never be the same. It is undergoing a huge renovation now, but doubtless will be the same disaster as before when done. Why? Rude elitist teachers. Huge drinking/drug culture. No diversity and elitism (~1% african american population). Not a whole lot of fighting, but tons of dysfunction. I would never send my kids anywhere near that place. Send your kids to private high school! Winchester Thurston or Shadyside Academy will do. (Hope the voucher system actually gets implemented.) - 2009 MT LEBO HIGH Graduate
The voucher system, as I understand it, is only for low income children who attend underperforming schools. Since Mt. Lebanon High is not an underperforming school, none of its students would be eligible for vouchers, if the bill is ever passed.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 3,780 times
We moved to Mt Lebo at the beginning of the school year from a suburb of NYC. We're extremely happy with the schools but it is hard to break in socially. My 4th gradeer has had the easiest time, but the 7th and 10th grader have found it much harder. People are friendly but most are from here and go back a long time. Your 6th grader to b may have an easier time, because all of the the five elementary feed into two middle schools so it's an obvious time to make new friends. But we came from a town where the kids could walk everywhere and hang out after school without making advance plans. That doesn't seem to happen as much here. A lot depends, obviously, on what you're used to. we're renting and wll by a house in a more central part of the town, which will help.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2012, 12:16 PM
gg

11,285 posts, read 7,450,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
Just like any school, there are the druggies, jocks and brains. If you hang with the kids on drugs your impression will be the school has piles of drugs. If your kid hangs with the book worms, you will feel the school is great. Much of that is in parenting and time. If the parents have the time to raise their kids and not work all the time to buy an Escalade and a big screen, then kids tend to do better than the parents that strive to get those material items that have no meaning.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 PM

4,388 posts, read 3,017,862 times
I wish my high school had the same "problems" Mt. Lebo's has.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:02 PM

42,518 posts, read 47,662,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Regardless of whether it's true or not (not that snootiness can really be proved or measured), there are a good number of people that will judge you when you tell them you live in Mt. Lebo. I'll admit that I tend to stereotype people in Mt. Lebo as financially and socially overextended, trying too hard to "make it" and keep up with the Joneses. It's not just because it's a suburb either, it's something specifically stereotyped to Mt. Lebanon.
That's my sterotype for Upper St. Clair, not Mt. Lebo.

OP, the only negative I can think of is the traffic. The south hills overall is just too congested for me.

I prefer the north hills townships because the roads aren't as congested because the townships are less densely populated.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:19 PM
gg

11,285 posts, read 7,450,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I wish my high school had the same "problems" Mt. Lebo's has.
Yeah, it is always easier to blame a school district than your own parenting. Hey my kid is doing drugs! Than stupid school is at fault! :roll eyes:

I am always impressed with kids that do well out of the city schools. Talk about a tough road.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:23 PM

42,518 posts, read 47,662,781 times
Drugs are everywhere. The students in affluent districts have more spending money for drugs.

Since the affluent parents have more resourses to save their kids from their mistakes, it all works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh