Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2024, 12:24 PM

4 posts, read 3,017 times

Advertisements

Wife and I (and our 4 year old) are looking to relocate to the Pittsburgh area. 1) we have friends there although they do not have kids and 2) it'd put us much closer to family.

Biggest factor in where we end up is school districts. I have no issue with higher cost of house / living so long as we are in a good area with good schools.

On top of the obvious metrics that typically make up good schools, I am also interested landing in an area where those schools / administration hasn't gone extremely nuts in recent years.

What I mean by that is I would NOT be a fan of a school district that:
1) tried masking kids for 8 hours a day or were fighting to keep kids at home longer than necessary after we learned more about COVID.
2) is adamant that gender identity / DEI is something that should be taught to little kids.
3) we are also non-religious, so we feel the same way about that not being in school as well.

This is not to say I don't want my child being in a school that does not have a diverse population of students. If there are areas where the schools are good and the items I mentioned above are not injected into the curriculum, all the better. But what my wife and I feel is important for our child is paramount to everything else.

Appreciate any information that can be shared with me.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 09:15 AM

Hoping to get some other information still. Thanks!

Last edited by mjlo; 01-09-2024 at 09:58 AM..

Old 01-09-2024, 11:39 AM

1,910 posts, read 736,354 times
I don't hear my neighbors complaining about Bethel Park schools, though I don't know what covid policies they followed.

Old 01-09-2024, 12:36 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2PittSoon View Post
Wife and I (and our 4 year old) are looking to relocate to the Pittsburgh area. 1) we have friends there although they do not have kids and 2) it'd put us much closer to family.

Biggest factor in where we end up is school districts. I have no issue with higher cost of house / living so long as we are in a good area with good schools.

On top of the obvious metrics that typically make up good schools, I am also interested landing in an area where those schools / administration hasn't gone extremely nuts in recent years.

What I mean by that is I would NOT be a fan of a school district that:
1) tried masking kids for 8 hours a day or were fighting to keep kids at home longer than necessary after we learned more about COVID.
2) is adamant that gender identity / DEI is something that should be taught to little kids.
3) we are also non-religious, so we feel the same way about that not being in school as well.

This is not to say I don't want my child being in a school that does not have a diverse population of students. If there are areas where the schools are good and the items I mentioned above are not injected into the curriculum, all the better. But what my wife and I feel is important for our child is paramount to everything else.

Appreciate any information that can be shared with me.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
You're not getting responses because you didn't provide enough information. You need to start with the type of neighborhood, price range, location, etc. Pittsburgh area could refer to the City of Pittsburgh or a five county region. Are you working at home, downtown, close to the airport, or other would be a good starting point. I'm not aware of any school district other than Pittsburgh Public Schools that were closed longer than necessary. No public school is gong to provide religious instruction.

I've subbed in a dozen districts east of Allegheny County and have not run into gender identity/DEI.

Old 01-09-2024, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
You're not getting responses because you didn't provide enough information. You need to start with the type of neighborhood, price range, location, etc. Pittsburgh area could refer to the City of Pittsburgh or a five county region. Are you working at home, downtown, close to the airport, or other would be a good starting point. I'm not aware of any school district other than Pittsburgh Public Schools that were closed longer than necessary. No public school is gong to provide religious instruction.

I've subbed in a dozen districts east of Allegheny County and have not run into gender identity/DEI.

Hi there. My post wasn't so much intended to focus on a specific area for real estate and more so to gain info on the schools. I do work from home so commute to work isn't a huge factor for me. In terms of price I'd say my max is in the $500K range. I'd prefer not be in a cookie cutter neighborhood of newly built homes but also not looking to be directly in the city / downtown. A safe area, low crime, parks, good dining (not chain) options, decent grocery options, local breweries, are probably what we'd be looking for in terms of the ideal surrounding area.

Again just trying to gauge the general vibe of the school districts themselves. I certainly don't want to end up somewhere where we'll be locked into a school district that just isn't a good fit.

That's encouraging that you haven't experienced that where you subbed. Appreciate any other info.

Old 01-09-2024, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
I don't hear my neighbors complaining about Bethel Park schools, though I don't know what covid policies they followed.
Thanks. I will look into them.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:19 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
The Niche website has published a listing of what they contend are the best school districts in Allegheny County.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...eny-county-pa/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh