U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-10-2012, 08:03 PM

3,856 posts, read 2,431,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
Here's hoping Google picks up this post about Mellinger Beer Distributor in Pittsburgh so people can read about how ****ty that place is.
Yelp away. Mellinger Beer Distributor Inc - Oakland - Pittsburgh, PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-10-2012, 09:01 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,060,532 times
I really dislike Mellinger's and the distributor on 18th in the South Side.

The distributor up on 10th street is run by really nice people, and I love the fact that their sign is tied to the front of a pickup truck and has an extension cord running to it from inside the store.

If you want a truly unique beer distributor experience, though, check out Sam Caruso's place on Taylor Avenue in the Mexican War Streets. He's closed Monday (says he has women to see), and is generally open from 2pm-8pm. He's told me all about the history of his business, showed me pictures of his family, let me snoop around every corner of his store, and as he always says "No extra charge for it cold!"

Unread 01-10-2012, 11:43 PM

344 posts, read 466,714 times
I second the vote for Black and Gold Beer Warehouse (10th and Bradish). When I have to travel outside the South Side, I like West Liberty Beer & Tobacco. They have a great selection.

Unread 01-11-2012, 02:53 AM

1,437 posts, read 1,226,207 times
The only beer distributor I've been to was the drive-through just outside Robinson on your way up toward Oakdale, and they were friendly enough.

Maybe it's your expectations that are too high. (I'm pretty sure it's that.)

Unread 01-11-2012, 05:18 AM

913 posts, read 1,428,800 times
dean's beer in n.baldwin. place is small but good selection and prices are great and have plenty of supply. in 20 years i been going there ive never had rude service or a problem

Unread 01-11-2012, 05:43 AM

3,067 posts, read 1,565,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansown View Post
Worst, the one on 20th on the Southside (did they move to 18th, it's been a few years?)
No, you're right, it's on 20th St, my mistake - just down from Smokin Joes

Unread 01-11-2012, 06:38 AM

482 posts, read 363,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
The one on Semple is called Mellinger, and I've had an equally ****ty experience with them as well. There was a product I wanted that was listed on their website, and when I went to the store to go buy it, the employees had no idea what I was talking about. They weren't even aware that the store had a website, and they were also quite rude about it. Never going to that ****hole again.

Here's hoping Google picks up this post about Mellinger Beer Distributor in Pittsburgh so people can read about how ****ty that place is.

I've heard good things about the Save More from several people now, so I think I'll check it out next time I need to buy more beer. Thanks.

While we were at Pitt, we would make it a point to not go to Mellinger's and drive to Save Mor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansown
Worst, the one on 20th on the Southside (did they move to 18th, it's been a few years?)
yes, 20th. I've avoided the place for so long I forgot what street it was on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North
If you want a truly unique beer distributor experience, though, check out Sam Caruso's place on Taylor Avenue in the Mexican War Streets. He's closed Monday (says he has women to see), and is generally open from 2pm-8pm. He's told me all about the history of his business, showed me pictures of his family, let me snoop around every corner of his store, and as he always says "No extra charge for it cold!"
I can't believe I forgot about this one. I've been there a few times when a friend lived in the North Shore area. It was one of the best places I've been to.

Unread 01-11-2012, 06:38 AM

3,865 posts, read 2,402,836 times
Haha, this thread is so on the money. Nearly all the distributors here have the shabbiest places of business and some unloved cases sit on the shelves well past their prime. Not to mention many folks are indeed unfriendly and uncaring. That's just the way it is I guess, but there a few good eggs out there.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Beer World on Noblestown Road. The people there are super nice and appreciate your business (instead of treating you like you're in the Nuremburg Trials because you look young). Plus they rotate their cases often to keep things fresh.

Unread 01-11-2012, 06:55 AM

413 posts, read 367,326 times
I'll add votes for the Save-Mor and McBrooms (which is owned by the same people that own D's next door). Mellinger's has had a bad reputation for as long as I've known about it (1989), so I guess peoples' desire for beer in South Oakland outweighs their dislike of bad service.

I visited Pitts Doggin' It bottle shop in Shadyside for the first time (at Ellsworth and College) a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed with their selection. I was looking for Sam Adams' Infinium and they had a large supply on hand. Incidentally, it was recommended by the people at Craig St. Distributing when they didn't have it, so that is a point for their helpfulness.

Unread 01-11-2012, 07:36 AM

1,124 posts, read 582,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Sam is the best guy ever. The only problem with buying from him is trying to get out of there in under a half an hour 'cause he'll talk your ear off if you let him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh