U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:55 PM

80 posts, read 57,134 times

Advertisements

With the impending opening of the T in North Shore, I'm wondering if there will be a surge in construction for living on the North Shore. One spot in particular is right next to Heinz Field, where SportsWorks used to be (Image: http://imgur.com/e0wsd ). It's probably the most ideal spot for a start because it's seconds away from the T, a minute to the riverfront trails, and right next to Heinz field.

I envision the whole area potentially becoming similar to Toronto's Harbourfront. New apartment and condo developments are soaring into the sky year after year. Just think of all of the parking lots around the stadiums that could potentially be sites for such buildings...

Last edited by jmrun1126; 01-10-2012 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: fix link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 05:05 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,983,877 times
That's an idea, but one with a few pitfalls.

It really isn't a residential neighborhood over there, a housing tract would be the very first. It isn't walkable to any kind of grocery, and the residents would be all alone among themselves.

But more importantly, I think the city is hoping that the new North Shore Connector project will be used to keep automobile traffic out of town. Their idea is for downtown commuters to pull into parking facilities and take the T across to their jobs across the river. Taking out parking lots over there would really defeat the city's plans.

And people will still need places to park while they are at the stadium, folks still need a place to put their cars during these events. Particularly with the steelers, as tailgating is considered to be quite the event to these football fans.

I can appreciate the idea of civic boosterism, but it seems as if the idea that a lot of people want to establish high end housing and/or high end retail on every convenient piece of real estate.

Parking is a legitimate need, so are industrial/warehouse facilities, so are low income housing, low end retail like furniture rentals, check cashing stores, wig stores and pawn shops.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:37 AM

8,862 posts, read 7,664,320 times
persobally id say closer to pnc park is more desirable.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:45 AM

1,445 posts, read 878,142 times
This site, just to the west of the West End Bridge. The URA has it open for proposals right now. It's only a block past The Allegheny Station stop of the T.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:20 AM

747 posts, read 612,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
That's an idea, but one with a few pitfalls.

It really isn't a residential neighborhood over there, a housing tract would be the very first. It isn't walkable to any kind of grocery, and the residents would be all alone among themselves.

But more importantly, I think the city is hoping that the new North Shore Connector project will be used to keep automobile traffic out of town. Their idea is for downtown commuters to pull into parking facilities and take the T across to their jobs across the river. Taking out parking lots over there would really defeat the city's plans.

And people will still need places to park while they are at the stadium, folks still need a place to put their cars during these events. Particularly with the steelers, as tailgating is considered to be quite the event to these football fans.

I can appreciate the idea of civic boosterism, but it seems as if the idea that a lot of people want to establish high end housing and/or high end retail on every convenient piece of real estate.

Parking is a legitimate need, so are industrial/warehouse facilities, so are low income housing, low end retail like furniture rentals, check cashing stores, wig stores and pawn shops.
I frequent the Northside (East Ohio St. / Western Ave) and the area in question would be ideal for residential. Not all people living in the city can reside next door to a grocery store. The northside does have a Giant Eagle and a weekly farmers market in West Park. It also has a bakery (operated by the Priory) and many other dinning options. The Bistro To Go is my favorite. The $10.00 Sunday brunch is well worth it.

Parking in the city is needed, but it does not require expansive parking lots. The parking will and can be consolidated into large parking garages similar to what was done in the Southside Works Development. This will add to the density of the area while making it even more pedestrian friendly. The riverfront park alone would be a big draw for residents not to mention the new T extention.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,644,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
persobally id say closer to pnc park is more desirable.
And in fact parcels in that area were already designated for residential in the master development plan.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
And in fact parcels in that area were already designated for residential in the master development plan.
that's great, when does construction start?

Old 01-11-2012, 03:36 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,644,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
that's great, when does construction start?
Yeah, about that . . .

. . . in fact I think they modified the master schedule in the renegotiations, but I don't know if that new schedule was actually released.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yeah, about that . . .

. . . in fact I think they modified the master schedule in the renegotiations, but I don't know if that new schedule was actually released.
well, how could they build now? what with the steelers loss and all.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:24 PM

80 posts, read 57,134 times
I also vaguely remember hearing about another building on the North Shore near PNC Park that was maybe a part of that plan, perhaps not for residential but maybe offices, that I think got held up because of people holding on to the land waiting for this exact type of development, a pretty typical occurrence around here.

If even 20% of the new building projects I hear about actually went through, Pittsburgh's skyline would look like Chicago's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh