U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:29 AM

19,377 posts, read 20,177,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I suspect South Side residents are more territorial because they have to fight many area visitors for parking places.
True, but it should have been obvious that SCR was making a delivery and wouldn't be tying up "his" space for more than a couple of minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 08:30 AM

482 posts, read 967,638 times
I'm going to start putting a 'parking chair' in my driveway... just because I DO own it.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:43 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,204,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
This whole thread is a classic example of a culture clash. Typically, somebody goes to a different country where things are done a different way and suddenly he/she is wrong and mad about it when he/she has been born and raised to think his/her way of doing things is correct and the new country's way is wrong. Legality is one thing, but I highly doubt anyone could rightfully say that one or the other side of this argument is "right" or "wrong" except for those who blindly assume anything that's legal is "right" and anything that's illegal is "wrong". This is the exact same thing as somebody going to a different country and getting mad at things being done differently; only this time it's at a local level.

Face it, whichever side you're on, you're neither ultimately right nor ultimately wrong. It entirely depends on who you ask and what their life experiences have been.
I can't be swayed that this is a "gray" issue, IMO, it's pretty black and white. A public street, is just that, a public space. You can't claim that you are entitled to a parking space on a public street. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to always be able to park in front of your house and agitating when you can't, but there really is nothing you can do about it, if you can't. If someone parked in my driveway, then yes, I have every right to have that person removed, because it's my driveway. If someone parked in the spot in front of my house, so be it.

In this case, the "local norms" legally don't pass. You could make a "respect' argument, but legality can easily trump that in this case.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 AM

29,262 posts, read 62,847,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I think it's pretty clear cut: public streets does not equal private parking. Others may disagree, but in the eyes of the law they are indeed wrong.
I think that guy knew he was legally in the wrong, too, because he wouldn't show me where there was a "reserved" parking sign just for his pick-up truck and proceeded to say "Don't get smart with me, boy" when I asked him to do so. It's people like that who give this city a black eye and hold back its potential to be an even greater place in which to reside. He literally stood in the middle of the street just staring daggers into me.

One thing for certain is that between last night's heated incident and the ongoing armed mugging spree in Shadyside I'm going to start carrying pepper spray.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:12 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,148,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I think that guy knew he was legally in the wrong, too, because he wouldn't show me where there was a "reserved" parking sign just for his pick-up truck and proceeded to say "Don't get smart with me, boy" when I asked him to do so. It's people like that who give this city a black eye and hold back its potential to be an even greater place in which to reside. He literally stood in the middle of the street just staring daggers into me.

One thing for certain is that between last night's heated incident and the ongoing armed mugging spree in Shadyside I'm going to start carrying pepper spray.
The guy was a jerk and he probably would've been a jerk to you about almost anything -- not just parking. And the good thing about being put down by a jerk is that it has almost no weight, so I wouldn't look too far into it.

(Though that sounds like the perfect scenario for the quintessential phrase for escalating anger -- "You mad, bro?")

Old 01-25-2012, 09:37 AM

5,683 posts, read 4,990,535 times
My next door neighbor reserves 3 parking spaces (his car, his wife's, & his son's) with a combination of buckets, an old tire & 2 construction cones - if I didn't already have my own parking it would get very expensive for him replacing those items daily.

On the flip side it may have helped in my new city assessment as the photo of my place used on the assessment site shows what looks like a street strewn with garbage out front

Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM

8,190 posts, read 7,239,587 times
I have a friend who lives on that block, and I can confirm that the residents do have what they consider "their" parking spaces, across the street from the houses. My friend always parks in "his" space, but there seem to be plenty of spots for someone who's quickly going in and out.

Hmmm...I wonder if it's my friend you were delivering food to. He's renovating and can't cook a thing these days.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:01 PM

29,262 posts, read 62,847,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I have a friend who lives on that block, and I can confirm that the residents do have what they consider "their" parking spaces, across the street from the houses. My friend always parks in "his" space, but there seem to be plenty of spots for someone who's quickly going in and out.

Hmmm...I wonder if it's my friend you were delivering food to. He's renovating and can't cook a thing these days.
I delivered to a younger female, actually, so it wasn't your friend. What really irked me about the entire situation is that there was ample parking on that block at the time I parked; he parked his pick-up two spaces behind mine initially before accosting me about being in "his" space, and there were at least two more spaces in front of the vehicle in front of mine. If he was really so adamant about getting "his" space he should have just waited in his truck for two minutes until I had finished my delivery and THEN moved into the space I was parked in. I really didn't see what difference it made whether you were two spaces in front of or behind any space opposite your home. There are often times when I have to park at least a block away from my front door, but I don't complain. That's part of life in the city.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:25 PM

4,601 posts, read 5,282,059 times
Do dudes really almost start throwing fists over a parking space? When I had on-street parking sometimes I'd had to park 2 blocks from my apartment (even in the winter). Yeah it sucked and I would huff and puff to myself, but I wasn't going to pull an Anderson Silva on the guy who parked in front of my apartment. It's not worth it in any way, shape, or form.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:30 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,282,946 times
The only time the people parking on-street bothers me here is when they park across my driveway.

Mostly because the ****ing Pittsburgh Police response time for a "Help I'm trapped in my driveway and can't get in or out" is at least an hour, and when they come they won't do anything anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh