U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-14-2012, 09:18 AM

10,298 posts, read 6,014,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Just had dinner last night with 2 CC grads now in college. Both on the dean's list at Duquesne and Dayton. I'm not a fan of how the school recruits football players, but even the public schools are doing that now. Don't think you can beat the education there.
Um, public schools cannot do that. Students have to live in the district. Central recruits from all over the US to get teams that are some great showoff crap. Of course North Allegheny beats up on Central quite often even though Central recruits. Kind of sad. There are no out of towners in my district playing some silly sport. Students for the most part are there for education.

As far as "best Catholic schools" go, I would look at the protestant ones first for education. Shadyside, Winchester Thurston and Kiski Prep would all outrank the best Catholic Schools. Then I would look at the best public schools that also would outrank the Catholic schools, like Upper St. Clair, Mt. Lebo and Fox Chapel. Then look at the Catholic schools. Of course this is assuming you are interested in the best education and not a football team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-14-2012, 09:31 AM

624 posts, read 444,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Um, public schools cannot do that. Students have to live in the district. Central recruits from all over the US to get teams that are some great showoff crap. Of course North Allegheny beats up on Central quite often even though Central recruits. Kind of sad. There are no out of towners in my district playing some silly sport. Students for the most part are there for education.

As far as "best Catholic schools" go, I would look at the protestant ones first for education. Shadyside, Winchester Thurston and Kiski Prep would all outrank the best Catholic Schools. Then I would look at the best public schools that also would outrank the Catholic schools, like Upper St. Clair, Mt. Lebo and Fox Chapel. Then look at the Catholic schools. Of course this is assuming you are interested in the best education and not a football team.
Did you even bother to read the OP's question? One of his main criteria for choosing a school is one that involves Roman Catholic catechism.

Does Central have dormitories? How do kids from all around the US commute to Central?

Unread 01-14-2012, 11:37 AM

10,298 posts, read 6,014,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
Did you even bother to read the OP's question? One of his main criteria for choosing a school is one that involves Roman Catholic catechism.

Does Central have dormitories? How do kids from all around the US commute to Central?
No, I just read the title. In that case, I don't know which one is best.

Yes, Central has dorms to house the out of town sports recruits.

Unread 01-14-2012, 12:09 PM

7,982 posts, read 6,371,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Um, public schools cannot do that. Students have to live in the district. .
Um, you are wrong. They do recruit, I can cite more than a few examples in the 'burbs.

here is one:

WPIAL benches high school football transfer

Unread 01-14-2012, 02:27 PM

1,992 posts, read 1,705,132 times
Quote:
Central recruits from all over the US to get teams that are some great showoff crap.

(See my post above.)

Quote:
Yes, Central has dorms to house the out of town sports recruits.
On the off chance that somebody reading might take the portion of curtis' inane statement that Central has dorms, at face value, no they don't.

Unread 01-14-2012, 02:46 PM

2,439 posts, read 5,510,981 times
Aquinas Academy might work. Here is an excerpt from the website.

"We are committed to offering students the finest education possible in a Catholic environment totally faithful to the magisterium. Mass is celebrated daily in the campus chapel and religion is a core subject in our curriculum."

Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh, a PreK through Grade 12, Private, Catholic School, Home Page

Unread 01-14-2012, 03:10 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,516,701 times
As far as choosing a Catholic high school in Pittsburgh, one of the biggest stumbling blocks is not the educational quality, but the cost to attend the school. Both Central Catholic and Oakland Catholic have tuition costs that exceed $8000 per year, and this does not include many of the associated fees. Vincentian Academy is nearly $11,000 annually. It is awfully expensive to send a child to a catholic high school, especially when the tuition is on top of the high Allegheny County property taxes already being paid to the local public high school.

Unread 01-14-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Aquinas Academy might work. Here is an excerpt from the website.

"We are committed to offering students the finest education possible in a Catholic environment totally faithful to the magisterium. Mass is celebrated daily in the campus chapel and religion is a core subject in our curriculum."

Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh, a PreK through Grade 12, Private, Catholic School, Home Page
For a somewhat new school, it sounds pretty old school -- mandatory daily mass and Latin as a required course.

Unread 01-14-2012, 05:00 PM

7,982 posts, read 6,371,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
For a somewhat new school, it sounds pretty old school -- mandatory daily mass and Latin as a required course.
What's wrong with old school? I took Latin in a public school, helped quite a bit with my English. Attended a Presby college with daily chapel, great place to pick up chicks. So how bad is that?

Unread 01-14-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
What's wrong with old school? I took Latin in a public school, helped quite a bit with my English. Attended a Presby college with daily chapel, great place to pick up chicks. So how bad is that?
I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with it. I just thought that it was interesting, as you don't see it that often, even in older Catholic institutions. I, too, took Latin in high school and found it beneficial. I took it as an elective for all four years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh