Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:11 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Part time coffee shop jobs will not pay the bills here or in any major American city. We all know it's cheap here but this just perpetuates the myth that Pittsburgh is a place where you can live for next to free.
That's Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
attempt at Cleveland insult?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Talk about NOT being "hip" (just a retarded word in general unless you are talking anatomically), maybe Yinzers should begin to embrace more counterculture and diversity...maybe that way we can attempt to be on Cleveland's level when it comes to at least the music scene.
What you don't seem to realize is that liking Pittsburgh is pretty countercultural in the first place. Then again, you're part of the mainstream now, which is why you've rejected Pittsburgh in favor of Chicago.

By the way, if a website that's commonly referred to as an "electronic music Bible" could list VIA as one of the 10 best music festivals in the world during the month of October, alongside festivals in cities such as San Francisco, Amsterdam, Milan, Reykjavik and Krakow, then maybe the Pittsburgh music scene is out beyond whatever "edge" is being cut. Sorry they didn't invite Arcade Fire. Maybe next year.

In the meantime, isn't there enough trendy **** to do in Chicago that you don't have to waste your precious time with us passé Pittsburghers?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
What you don't seem to realize is that liking Pittsburgh is pretty countercultural in the first place. Then again, you're part of the mainstream now, which is why you've rejected Pittsburgh in favor of Chicago.

By the way, if a website that's commonly referred to as an "electronic music Bible" could list VIA as one of the 10 best music festivals in the world during the month of October, alongside festivals in cities such as San Francisco, Amsterdam, Milan, Reykjavik and Krakow, then maybe the Pittsburgh music scene is out beyond whatever "edge" is being cut. Sorry they didn't invite Arcade Fire. Maybe next year.

In the meantime, isn't there enough trendy **** to do in Chicago that you don't have to waste your precious time with us passé Pittsburghers?
lolol I'm "part of the mainstream" now because I moved to Chicago? O really? So then, if I move to Green River, Wyoming, does that make me hip since its so "countercultural" to like Green River, Wyoming? Why are you talking about Arcade Fire? What do they have to do with this? I literally laughed out loud when you said Pittsburgh's music scene is out beyond what "edge" is being cut... come on man, you're more reasonable than that. Pittsburgh has it's niches and has been slowly improving its music scene with an addition of a mid-sized venue (finally), and is slowly beginning to see more acts that have traditionally passed over the city year after year due to lack of interest and lack of proper venue accommodations, but to say that Pittsburgh has a better, more 'cutting edge' music scene than NYC, Chicago, LA, SF and the like is absurd.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:49 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
lolol I'm "part of the mainstream" now because I moved to Chicago? O really? So then, if I move to Green River, Wyoming, does that make me hip since its so "countercultural" to like Green River, Wyoming?
No. People don't hate Green River, WY or openly mock its culture.

Quote:
Why are you talking about Arcade Fire? What do they have to do with this?
There's some guy who keeps whining about how that cutting-edge-of-the-mainstream band never comes to Pittsburgh.

Quote:
I literally laughed out loud when you said Pittsburgh's music scene is out beyond what "edge" is being cut... come on man, you're more reasonable than that.
I literally laughed out loud when you suggested that Pittsburgh's music scene isn't even on Cleveland's level, considering that VIA is not only a huge success, but it's already world-renowned after only two years.

Quote:
Pittsburgh has it's niches and has been slowly improving its music scene with an addition of a mid-sized venue (finally), and is slowly beginning to see more acts that have traditionally passed over the city year after year due to lack of interest and lack of proper venue accommodations...
Lack of interest? No. Lack of venues? Yes. Thankfully that's been changed.

Quote:
...but to say that Pittsburgh has a better, more 'cutting edge' music scene than NYC, Chicago, LA, SF and the like is absurd.
It's still more cutting-edge than you give it credit for. If there was no interest in cutting-edge music in Pittsburgh, then VIA would not even exist, let alone be as successful as it is.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:03 PM

No. People don't hate Green River, WY or openly mock its culture.

Surely this isn't true.

There's some guy who keeps whining about how that cutting-edge-of-the-mainstream band never comes to Pittsburgh.

OK? Does not answer my question.

I literally laughed out loud when you suggested that Pittsburgh's music scene isn't even on Cleveland's level, considering that VIA is not only a huge success, but it's already world-renowned after only two years.

Are you a VIA PR rep? I never said VIA wasn't a quality event. It does not define and cannot define an entire city's music identity, however (nor can any single festival on it's own). Are you familiar with the shows that go through Cleveland?

Lack of interest? No. Lack of venues? Yes. Thankfully that's been changed.

There is a reason country is one of the most, if not the most, successful markets in Pittsburgh (possibly aside from top 40, kiss fm, etc.). Pittsburgh has its markets, and they are largely Top 40 and New Country. It is what it is. Again, I already acknowledged and applauded the addition to Stage AE.

It's still more cutting-edge than you give it credit for. If there was no interest in cutting-edge music in Pittsburgh, then VIA would not even exist, let alone be as successful as it is.

Than I give it credit for? I believe I give it just the credit it deserves. Not on NYC, SF, Chicago, LA, Seattle, etc. level, or even close to it, but improving and better than it was even 10 years ago.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:44 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
As someone who attended VIA both years it's been around I have to say that the first year blew my mind. An amazing show that had nowhere to go but up (or so I thought).

This year....... meh. Too many weirdo bands that only very few in the crowd dug, less production values, and less people in attendance on the days I went (it was pretty empty honestly). I love what they're trying to accomplish but I don't think they connected with the crowd this year from what I saw and from what I've heard people say.

I will be in attendance next year for sure, but that article is just hype. No way is the festival world renowned since it's barely city renowned. No disrespect to the people that put together this wonderful festival (believe me, folks like me greatly appreciate them bringing this to our city!), but to make comments about how super cutting edge and legendary the festival is when it has barely got off the ground is just plain ridiculous.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
As someone who attended VIA both years it's been around I have to say that the first year blew my mind. An amazing show that had nowhere to go but up (or so I thought).

This year....... meh. Too many weirdo bands that only very few in the crowd dug, less production values, and less people in attendance on the days I went (it was pretty empty honestly). I love what they're trying to accomplish but I don't think they connected with the crowd this year from what I saw and from what I've heard people say.

I will be in attendance next year for sure, but that article is just hype. No way is the festival world renowned since it's barely city renowned. No disrespect to the people that put together this wonderful festival (believe me, folks like me greatly appreciate them bringing this to our city!), but to make comments about how super cutting edge and legendary the festival is when it has barely got off the ground is just plain ridiculous.
this. it can't even be appreciated by enough people in the city itself.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:02 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
Quote:
And there's some guy that is still whining about my opinions from three weeks ago. Get over it.

And I will say it once again, if a band does not get airplay on local radio, they are far from mainstream here.

Last edited by raubre; 01-22-2012 at 06:27 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 06:06 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
Quote:
Shows how much you know. Arcade Fire is not are not electronic artists. Do your research before you put down a band you have no clue about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh