Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:58 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times

Advertisements

Wilkinsburg had two homicides in in 2011... Yet if police took out all of the gang members than there'd be 75-100 people off the street... They'd be from the Hunter Park area, Franklin Ave, Taylor Way, Mill St, Princeton Blvd, South Ave, Ellis St, Montier Ave, etc. If you'd took the gang members out of Penn Hills you'd probably have people out of 15-20 out of Leechburg Gardens, and 15-25 from Hulton Arbors... Bale Drive & SW Penn Hills bordered by Wilkinsburg, the East Hills, Lincoln and Homewod (including Lincoln Park) is just home to D-boy clicks and or hyrid gangs...
In the years of 1997-2007 Wilkinsburg had 51 homicides only Homewood (Homewood South+Homewood North+Homewood West) and the Hill (Middle Hill+Terrace Village+Crawford Roberts Hill + Bedford Dwellings) had more. Penn Hills will never catch up to Wilkinsburg when it comes to killings. This year the the feud between the J-town Hoods and Trill Side dyed down. Now IF the bad parts of Wilkinsburg has a BAD year this year there could be 5-8 homicides. I still put Wilkinsburg a category above the bad parts of Penn Hills; no question!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 10:25 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Wilkinsburg had two homicides in in 2011... Yet if police took out all of the gang members than there'd be 75-100 people off the street... They'd be from the Hunter Park area, Franklin Ave, Taylor Way, Mill St, Princeton Blvd, South Ave, Ellis St, Montier Ave, etc. If you'd took the gang members out of Penn Hills you'd probably have people out of 15-20 out of Leechburg Gardens, and 15-25 from Hulton Arbors... Bale Drive & SW Penn Hills bordered by Wilkinsburg, the East Hills, Lincoln and Homewod (including Lincoln Park) is just home to D-boy clicks and or hyrid gangs...
In the years of 1997-2007 Wilkinsburg had 51 homicides only Homewood (Homewood South+Homewood North+Homewood West) and the Hill (Middle Hill+Terrace Village+Crawford Roberts Hill + Bedford Dwellings) had more. Penn Hills will never catch up to Wilkinsburg when it comes to killings. This year the the feud between the J-town Hoods and Trill Side dyed down. Now IF the bad parts of Wilkinsburg has a BAD year this year there could be 5-8 homicides. I still put Wilkinsburg a category above the bad parts of Penn Hills; no question!!!
Hulton Arbors is filled with gang members. That place is in the middle of no where. I drive by there a fair amount. Maybe I should find a different route.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:51 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Most homicides are drug related. Over 80% of the prison population is drug related crime. If you just reported murders that are not drug related, I suspect the number would be amazingly low.
Sounds right to me. I'm in high crime neighborhoods frequently, and speaking as a passerby I've never experienced any violence toward me nor do I really fear any. Unless caught in the crossfire, my bet is that a very high percentage of violent crime victims know the assailant and have some sort of ongoing feud that has escalated, although I don't know the stats and don't want to guess what that percentage is.

Prison is a huge industry, especially in some states! If people want to fight it out over drugs, I say let them...as long as they don't drag anyone else into it. ...and legalize some of them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
What is it about Duquesne that breeds so much violence and crime? Thanks!
My first guess was that Duquesne lies is a midpoint between other distressed neighborhoods in that corridor (Braddock, Homestead, Whitaker, and McKeesport), but then figured the same could be said of any of those towns while adding in others to suit the theory (Turtle Creek, Hazelwood, etc.)

Is the murder rate consistently the highest from year to year? If not, it could be because of a comparatively low population that is more sensitive to a few extra murders one year, like ML North said. If it's always the highest, year after year, then maybe you just discovered a significant trend that needs to be analyzed!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 PM

[quote]Hulton Arbors is filled with gang members. That place is in the middle of no where. I drive by there a fair amount. Maybe I should find a different route.[quote]

Look no matter what, no matter where as long as you don't drive like an idot, then you'll be safe... In the worst parts of: Homewood, the Hill, Northview Heights, Duquesne, etc 9-10 of ten times you'll be safe when driving a car. I heard somewhere it had a gang called the "G'z", yet I could be wrong about this one (but I'm pretty sure that there's gang activity).

Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Is the project in Whitaker still standing, or did it have a date with the wrecking ball?

If was taken down, it could explain the higher crime rate in Duquesne just a short drive down the road.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:45 AM

No thats MonView Heights in West Mifflin aka MVH or "Whit Life"... That place is still standing and is affiliated with the Trap Boy Crips (Crip set). This most recent murder was in Parkview Estates... Its what I refrenced about on another Duke thread as the Northview Heights of the Mon Valley... Its got a ton of Security cameras, a booth and a gated entrence and exit. At least since 2008 its had a hommicide, not exactly a safe place!

Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 PM

The only other thing I could think of why Duquesne is such a violent place is that the near by Crawford Village Projects (McKeesport) have been decimated to only a hand full of high rises. Some people from the rough crowd in C-Vill" could've been pushed to the Hilltop Parkview Estates Projects. And also the Burns Heights Projects formerly off Crawford Ave were torn down a number of years ago which could have moved people around from different parts within Duquesne...

Yet there's difinately a clear a crime spike... From 1997-2007 there were 26 homicides in McKeesport & 17 in Duquesne. From 2008-until now there's been 22 homicides in McKeesport & 14-15 in Duquesne!!!

Old 01-19-2012, 08:29 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Are the projects in Clairton still standing? That isn't too far away either.

Even though McKeesport is a lot closer, they have their own housing authority and wouldn't folks that were displaced by the razing of projects in McKeesport be resettled in that city.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:50 PM

Yep the big one Soltis Drive & the smaller section 8 complex Millvue Aceres.
C-Town has gotten worse too, from 1997-2007 it had ten homicides. From 2008-until now it has nine!
OF all the Mon Valley river towns only Braddock, Rankin & Homestead seem to be on schedule to have a lower murder rate/body count in the years of 2008-2018...

Last edited by Uptown kid; 01-19-2012 at 09:22 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 07:01 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
What are you people talking about in regards to the housing projects? I live 8 blocks away from Crawford...Duquesne is across the bridge and north a bit. I wouldn't consider Crawford Village in McKeesport to be "close" to Duquesne (walking it would be tough). Also Clairton is like 20 minutes from McKeesport. I should know...I still get mail at my grandparents home...who happen to live in the housing projects in Clairton (yes they are still there...and were recently remodeled...so you probably didn't think they were projects).

My BF is from Braddock; he had never even been to Clairton before meeting me. I have cousins in McKeesport (which is closer to Clairton than Braddock is) who have never been to Clairton as well. I'm not quite sure why people think Clairton is close to anything...I mean you'll pass it on your way to Uniontown...but there really isn't much visiting and travel of hoodrats along the Mon Valley corridor. Unless you are selling drugs (and if you are, then that makes perfect sense).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh