Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:23 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I'd even settle for an extra lane of traffic on the combined road and a 2-lane exit to 79N, but I guess neither will happen.
HELLO?!?!?!

I just said that the I-70/I-79 multiplex would be widened from four lanes to six, and the ramp to continue on I-79 NB would be widened from one lane to two. Both will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 08:24 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I was going by the first sentence the OP wrote saying it was the interchange of I-70 and I-79.
Better read it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella
The interchange between I-70/I-79 and Murtland Avenue
(emphasis added)

For roughly three(?) miles through there, the interstate is both 70 and 79.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'll read the article when I have time later this afternoon.

I was going by the first sentence the OP wrote saying it was the interchange of I-70 and I-79.
No, I said it was the interchange between I-70/I-79 and Murtland Avenue. I-70 and I-79 form a two-Interstate multiplex on one highway alignment for four miles past Washington, and I was accounting for both of them. It's the same way the Pennsylvania Turnpike is signed as both I-70 and I-76 for 86 miles between the New Stanton and Breezewood interchanges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
One part of me thinks anything will be an improvement on that stretch of the freeway.
If you look at page 6-37 of this document, you'll see that there are plans to reconstruct and widen I-70 between Washington and New Stanton. You'll see it listed as two projects:

"I-70, North Junction to Westmoreland County Line, reconstruction/widening"

"I-70, Washington County Line to New Stanton, reconstruction/widening"

"Reconstruction" means they're digging all the way down to the dirt and relaying the entire highway. "Widening," at the very least, means that they're moving the inner lanes away from the median barrier. How far away they move them away from the median barrier depends on whether or not they reconstruct it with four lanes or six. If it's six lanes, then there will be 12' between each of the inner lanes and the median barrier. If it stays four lanes, then there will be 4' between each of the inner lanes and the median barrier. Both would be AASHTO-compliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The other part of me thinks the fine people of Washington -- who use I-70 as their main street and don't bother getting up to highway speeds as they mosey from exit to exit -- are going to turn this into a horror movie! Sure hope I'm wrong.
That's the beauty of six lanes. Even if the people doing the "moseying" screw up the right lane, then there's still two more lanes with which everybody can pass them.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
70 & 79 are the same road there, thus your confusion I guess.
I'm not confused anymore. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:04 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
No interstates are getting lights. Can't you simply read things first before you comment on them? It would really raise the level of discourse.
My reply was obviously directed towards Hopes false information. How about reading the thread yourself before responding to me. It would really raise the level of discourse.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:07 AM

A list of current and future reconstruction projects on I-70 from the West Virginia state line to New Stanton can be found here.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
My reply was obviously directed towards Hopes false information. How about reading the thread yourself before responding to me. It would really raise the level of discourse.
I read Hopes' post, knew it was formed on an incorrect reading of the article and posted a clarification (see above), but I imagine that you didn't follow your own advice. I did the same to your post. She was gracious and admitted an error, you've not taken a similarly mature course but instead doubled down.

It's informative and somewhat ironic that you've posted this explanation. This practice is precisely why so many threads in which you participate go off the rails. You post uninformed assertions and others feel compelled to comment on your misinformation, creating avalanches of responses built off of ignorant or incorrect foundations.

I would suggest uniformly, to everyone, that they read the linked source material or articles prior to posting in any thread and avoid the practice of using another poster's interpretation of that material as a basis on which to comment.

Last edited by Lobick; 01-17-2012 at 09:29 AM..

Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,051 times
As for me, I look forward to trying it.

Also, the picture on the first post is a representation of an intersection in Missouri. Undoubtedly, for this new one, the Interstates will be on the bridge while 19 follows the new pattern below.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:26 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Ah, who cares about that area, nothing but trailer parks in Wash County.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:30 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Also, the picture on the first post is a representation of an intersection in Missouri. Undoubtedly, for this new one, the Interstates will be on the bridge while 19 follows the new pattern below.
Ah, that makes things make alot more sense & proof that I apparently can't read. I thought it was a rendering for the Washington proposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh