Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:21 AM

632 posts, read 1,071,003 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm taking a girl out tonight for a somewhat casual dinner date. Looking for something nice, but not super formal. We're both foodies as well...so be creative! I dont know if that helps. Preferably something thats unique to the city...

I've heard Legume is good? Anything in Shadyside? Squirrel Hill?

I live in Southside, she's in Highland Park. Any thoughts for something thats unique, somewhat casual/nice, and has good food? Price isnt a huge deal...obviously not 40-50$ a person but you get the idea.

Appreciated, as always!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 09:27 AM

894 posts, read 1,325,245 times
Try Kaya in the strip district; It's on the corner of 20th and Smallman St. They have Caribbean Islands, South America type of entree's. Their food is awesome & they have a pretty cool bar also. You have to make reservations I made that mistake last time.

Kaya * Island Cuisine in The Strip District

Old 01-21-2012, 09:34 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
I'm a big fan of the Village Tavern and Trattoria in the West End. Wonderful Italian food in a quaint, quiet setting.

Village Tavern and Trattoria - Home

Old 01-21-2012, 09:59 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
Hey all,

I'm taking a girl out tonight for a somewhat casual dinner date. Looking for something nice, but not super formal. We're both foodies as well...so be creative! I dont know if that helps. Preferably something thats unique to the city...

I've heard Legume is good? Anything in Shadyside? Squirrel Hill?

I live in Southside, she's in Highland Park. Any thoughts for something thats unique, somewhat casual/nice, and has good food? Price isnt a huge deal...obviously not 40-50$ a person but you get the idea.

Appreciated, as always!
17th Street Cafe may be a nice option. I also like La Tavola Italiana on Mount Washington, but it's definitely a long meal.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:20 AM

I just looked up La Tavola...its listed as BYOB...

Does that mean you HAVE to bring your own bottle? Or do they have a drink menu, with you having the option to bring your own?

I'm sorry - I'm not 100% familiar with Pennsylvania alcohol laws yet...

Old 01-21-2012, 10:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Don't go to Legume. I was there last month. It was packed and our waitress rushed us to clear the table. Not good for a date experience.

I was going to recommend a small place in Lawrenceville called River Moon Cafe but I've discovered it has closed.

The new restaurant is called Kaleidoscope Cafe. The reviews are great. I think a smaller atmopshere like this would be better.

Kaleidoscope Café | Dining Reviews | Pittsburgh City Paper

Reservations are recommended. It's BYOB.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
I just looked up La Tavola...its listed as BYOB...

Does that mean you HAVE to bring your own bottle? Or do they have a drink menu, with you having the option to bring your own?

I'm sorry - I'm not 100% familiar with Pennsylvania alcohol laws yet...
Yes. It means bring your own bottle. A review I read of the restaurant I recommended states that you get a free bottle of wine with a specific type of order, like two entrees and two "small dishes"---whatever that is, I suspect appetizers perhaps. I didn't post a link to that review, even though it was a great review, because it was stupidly written, giving each diner names like Munch and DOOM. You can ask when you call. If the free bottle isn't still available, just grab a bottle of wine at the state store before you pick up your date.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:53 AM

Just made reservations. Thanks all!

Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yes. It means bring your own bottle. A review I read of the restaurant I recommended states that you get a free bottle of wine with a specific type of order, like two entrees and two "small dishes"---whatever that is, I suspect appetizers perhaps. I didn't post a link to that review, even though it was a great review, because it was stupidly written, giving each diner names like Munch and DOOM. You can ask when you call. If the free bottle isn't still available, just grab a bottle of wine at the state store before you pick up your date.
Munch rules, and DOOM is just Dear One of Munch.

One of the only tolerable food critics in this town.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Munch rules, and DOOM is just Dear One of Munch.

One of the only tolerable food critics in this town.
In that case, Munch liked Kaleidoscope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh