U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:47 AM

970 posts, read 735,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Why do people live here if they hate winter so much? I don't think I will ever understand that? MOVE!
It's not that easy or I would. Winter is indeed my own personal version of hell, but, my entire life, including lifelong friends and family are here. I love Pittsburgh as a city itself. However, if my family and friends were not here and they weren't a HUGE part of my life, I would indeed be gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 AM
gg

11,660 posts, read 7,995,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
It's not that easy or I would. Winter is indeed my own personal version of hell, but, my entire life, including lifelong friends and family are here. I love Pittsburgh as a city itself. However, if my family and friends were not here and they weren't a HUGE part of my life, I would indeed be gone.
Guess I don't understand being miserable when the snow is so beautiful and bright. I am an avid skier, which of course helps me to enjoy the seasons. I think people should move if they don't like seasons. You can always come back for a visit in the summer. Move to Florida. No winters there, just beautiful sunshine if that is what you are into. Being miserable for 4-5 months a year is crazy if you ask me.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 AM

13,206 posts, read 10,860,211 times
I don't hate winter so much as I find it occasionally an inconvenience. I'd rather have winter than a disgustingly hot and humid summer.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:54 AM

26,551 posts, read 47,232,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't hate winter so much as I find it occasionally an inconvenience. I'd rather have winter than a disgustingly hot and humid summer.
^ Same here. I LOVE the snow actually. I love shoveling it, brushing it off my car, and just rolling around in it like an animal. With that being said after nearly peeing my pants last night I'm not a happy camper with how abysmally the city treats its roads during wintry weather. I was sliding everywhere.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 AM

1,542 posts, read 960,571 times
Quote:
Guess I don't understand being miserable when the snow is so beautiful and bright. I am an avid skier, which of course helps me to enjoy the seasons. I think people should move if they don't like seasons. You can always come back for a visit in the summer. Move to Florida. No winters there, just beautiful sunshine if that is what you are into. Being miserable for 4-5 months a year is crazy if you ask me.

It might be different if I didn't have to get up and drive through it at 7 AM. In the Winter it takes longer, is more of a hassle, and there's always the added bonus that maybe today's the day that someone that doesn't know how to handle it slams into your car. I see it as more of a hassle to deal with than something to enjoy. Do you enjoy everything about being here, or are there some things that you're just willing to put up with in order to enjoy everything else?

Old 01-20-2012, 09:59 AM

952 posts, read 2,294,718 times
Come on up to Erie, we'll give youn'z some driving lessons.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:01 AM

6,343 posts, read 4,521,551 times
Quote:
So that was it. Another hyped up dusting of snow. The media sure knows how to get people all worked up over nothing.
1-4 inches of snow isn't a big deal, but 1/4 inch of ice is quite serious, actually.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:03 AM

1,542 posts, read 960,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
Come on up to Erie, we'll give youn'z some driving lessons.

Yeah, show me how to drive up the side of a mountain in a Mazda in Erie.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:06 AM

970 posts, read 735,776 times
Quote:

Beautiful to me are the green trees, sunshine, and blue skies. No greenery, and the pure filth you see during winter appalls me. My vehicle is never clean, the entry way to my house is a dirty mess, I find the cold practically painful to be outside. When I have to clean snow and ice off my vehicle, it's all I can do not to quit my job and just hibernate! Not to mention, I don't enjoy it when the roads are basically dangerous. I don't like the dark at 5 p.m. either. I thrive on sunshine and warmth and winter is the exact opposite.

I'm not "miserable" per-say, but I do find it very difficult to deal with from time to time. My point, for me personally, is that my family and friends are such a huge part of my life that they help balance my disgust for the weather. If I were to move to a more suited climate for me, I wouldn't be okay with not being able to see them as frequently as I currently do. It's a catch 22--I can only hope that someday I'm wealthy enough to have a place in Key West during our winter!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:28 AM
gg

11,660 posts, read 7,995,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Beautiful to me are the green trees, sunshine, and blue skies. No greenery, and the pure filth you see during winter appalls me. My vehicle is never clean, the entry way to my house is a dirty mess, I find the cold practically painful to be outside. When I have to clean snow and ice off my vehicle, it's all I can do not to quit my job and just hibernate! Not to mention, I don't enjoy it when the roads are basically dangerous. I don't like the dark at 5 p.m. either. I thrive on sunshine and warmth and winter is the exact opposite.

I'm not "miserable" per-say, but I do find it very difficult to deal with from time to time. My point, for me personally, is that my family and friends are such a huge part of my life that they help balance my disgust for the weather. If I were to move to a more suited climate for me, I wouldn't be okay with not being able to see them as frequently as I currently do. It's a catch 22--I can only hope that someday I'm wealthy enough to have a place in Key West during our winter!
Such different perspective.

1. Green Trees = Evergreens Lots of pine trees in our region. Go plant one.
2. Blue skies = today
3. Dirty car --Run your car through a car wash now and again.
4. Dirty snow -- Hard for me to relate to, because I live in an area that the snow stays white and the roads are always clear. Maybe you should move to a different neighborhood.

Move to Florida and take your two weeks or whatever you have to come to Pittsburgh in the summer. Then in the winter, invite all your Pittsburgh friends and family to come down for the sunshine. That is what it is like when you live in Florida. Used to live there for about 8 years or whatever it was and just visited back and fourth. I like the seasons and am an outdoor person, so winter is just fun for a positive person like myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh