U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-22-2012, 04:08 PM

14 posts, read 15,167 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I found a nice house rental on Westmont Ave in Carrick. I'm not real sure on the neighborhood so was looking for some advice or insight as to what that part of town is like. What is the crime like? If someone lives close, what kind of neighbors might I have in that area of Carrick?

thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 06:11 PM

4,735 posts, read 3,118,871 times
There is gang activity and problems in Carrick, particularly west of Brownsville and north of Agnew.

Pittsburgh Crime Map

Old 01-22-2012, 06:32 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,770,416 times
Overall Carrick is in decline, yet Westmont street is in the rough section... The property in question is also not too far away from another bad neighborhood, the infamous Mt. Oliver Boro neighborhood. In that hat area specifically of Carrick aka 29th Ward Caricc or CRK, I'm pretty sure affiliated with an off shot set of the crips (Carrick is predominately white so it is black plus a few whites in the gang). It's not a horrible area, but you shouldn't walk alone in that section at night. There are far worse areas south of Downtown on the Southern Hilltop such as: Beltzhoover, Knoxville, most of Mt. Oliver, Allentown, most of Arlington & Arlington Heights (of the bad areas Carrick ranks last). The main problems seem to be vandalism, riff-raff, trashy people with no pride in their neighborhood (both white & black), blight, robbery, burglary & theft [ not too bad when opposed to shootings & killings in some if the near by neighborhoods].
Aqua Teen Carl lives in Carrick he can tell you more

Old 01-22-2012, 06:39 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,221,901 times
Here is a link to the 2010 crime report from the PPD.

Page 59 and 64 are of interest for the neighborhood. As you can see the total number of reported crimes put the neighborhood as one of the highest in the city.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,770,416 times
Yet Carrick's murder count through this decade has always been low... Places like Homewood, the Hill, Wilkinsburg, Larimer, McKeesport, Duquesne, Clairton, Penn Hills, Lincoln-Lemington, Garfield, East Liberty, Perry South, Northview Heights, Beltzhoover, Knoxville, Mt. Oliver, Hazelwood, North Braddock, MonView Heights, Allegheny Dweelings, Manchester etc have been 10-20+ since 2000-until now. Even though murder count isn't everything IMHO, Carrick isn't one of the worst places in Pittsburgh/Allegheny County.

Last edited by Uptown kid; 01-22-2012 at 08:14 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Yet Carrick's murder count through this decade has always been low... Places like Homewood, the Hill, Wilkinsburg, Larimer, McKeesport, Duquesne, Clairton, Penn Hills, Lincoln-Lemington, Garfield, East Liberty, Perry South, Northview Heights, Beltzhoover, Knoxville, Mt. Oliver, Hazelwood, North Braddock, MonView Heights, Allegheny Dweelings, Manchester etc have been 10-20+ since 2000-until now. Even though murder count isn't everything IMHO, Carrick isn't one of the worst places in Pittsburgh/Allegheny County.
I'm certainly not complaining about the lack of a murder rate! However the neighborhood is number 1 in burglaries and very high in assaults. Such a shame.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:43 PM

14 posts, read 15,167 times
Thanks for the responses. I'm trying to find a place with a garage for around 950 or less. I don't have to move until May but I'm trying to find something asap as I know how difficult it is to find what I want that also allows pets. My girlfriend may have to take the bus for school at Pitt so I don't want her to be in danger walking to and from the bus stop.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 3,005 times
Carrick number one in burglaries? Eh .... Let's look at the 2010 Pittsburgh Police Annual Report using per capita crime rates of select 5 neighborhoods - Carrick, Elliott, Bloomfield, Shadyside, and Lower Lawrenceville. By these calculations, know which neighborhoods have the highest crimes rates? The dirty, unhip, unlivable neighborhoods of .... Bloomfield and Lawrenceville. Clearly neighborhoods where no one wants to live much less drive through. (Of course, I am being sarcastic.)

Granted, Elliott and Carrick have more violent crimes, but only by 1 or 2 absolutes. But even by using these types of comparisons, it's hard to make these statistics meaningful....for example, a jump in one or two violent crimes in one neighborhood might be related to a tragic event like a murder-suicide, or a freak domestic violence incident. We need to work together to really figure out what is happening in our neighborhoods, and how to specifically address it, rather than just speculation on vague ideas about gang activity.

It's just annoying to have people talk about how Carrick is turning into a ghettto when the reality is that, it's pretty much on par with other city neighborhoods. If people took more pride in the neighborhood and got involved instead of complaining, the image would be better and there would be more people moving in. Carrick is a great neighborhood with good schools, amenities, close to the drug store/grocery store/neighborhood bars, and nice community groups.

In fact, Shadyside just had 2 armed robberies last week - yes, people robbed at gun point: [url=http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/pittsburgh/s_777730.html]Armed robberies put Shadyside, Oakland area on high alert - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review[/url]
Thieves pray on college students around that area, yet I never heard about people complaining that Shadyside is a den of gangs and crime. Image is everything.

Shadyside, pop.: 13,000
Violent Crime: 38
Per 1,000 people: 3

Property Crime: 615
Per 1,000 people: 47

Bloomfield, pop: 9,000
violent crime 73
Per 1,000 people: 8.1

Property Crime(absolute): 406
Per 1,000 people: 45

Lower Lawrenceville, pop.: 2500
Violent crime 25
Per 1,000 people: 10

Property crime 116
Per 1,000 people: 46

Carrick pop.: 10,000
Violent crime 94
Per 1,000 people: 9.4

property crime 399
Per 1,000 people: 34

[SIZE=2]Elliottt pop. 3,000
Violent Crime: 34
Per 1,000 people: 11

Property Crime (absolute): 81
Per 1,000 people: 27
[/SIZE]

Old 01-24-2012, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 3,005 times
Correction - I just realized that article I posted about Shadyside talked about FIVE armed robberies in the area. Five!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrickGrrrl View Post
But even by using these types of comparisons, it's hard to make these statistics meaningful....for example, a jump in one or two violent crimes in one neighborhood might be related to a tragic event like a murder-suicide, or a freak domestic violence incident. We need to work together to really figure out what is happening in our neighborhoods, and how to specifically address it, rather than just speculation on vague ideas about gang activity.

[/SIZE]
Well if we're going to make that jump we might as well make another: people are more likely to report crime in Bloomfield while they might remain silent in Carrick. For example, a drug dealer or a person in possession of an illegal weapon is not going to report a theft while a regular person would.

But I agree that we should take a closer look rather than rely strictly on stats. I've said this before: the farther away from Brownsville Road you are the more likely you will be safe from crime. Living on a main artery makes it easy for one to become a victim of crime as the perp can just high tail it (I've experienced this first hand many times). An example of this is the number of robberies the donut shop has experienced over the years.

The bottom line personally for me is that it's not the greatest place to live as far as crime is concerned and there's plenty of evidence to back that up. How you personally perceive the area is up to you of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh