U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:44 PM

43,017 posts, read 49,527,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTtoPA View Post
A lot of you are saying - Technology Drive isn't really "downtown" - is that a good or bad thing? Any area to live in best for working on Technology Drive?
It's a bad thing for living in the northern suburbs (Hampton, Fox Chapel, Shaler, McCandless, Cranberry, etc.). The commute times I gave you are to downtown. You'd need to add another 15 minutes for Technology drive because it would take 10 minutes to get through town and possibly another 5 minutes to get to Technology Drive.

While Bethel Park doesn't have a walkable business area, it is literally next to South Park, a huge county park with swimming wave pool, skating rinks, play grounds, trails, horse stables, outside theater, etc. You can walk all you want there. Your dog and kids will love it. It's also convenient to the malls. It will be an easier commute than from Mt. Lebo.

Don't do Squirrel Hill or any city neighborhood unless you can afford to send your children to private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 01:14 PM

26 posts, read 24,404 times
Thanks Hopes - would South Park have a reasonable commute time by car or easy public transportation to Technology Drive? And is it a nice place to live? Schools etc.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:19 PM

3,366 posts, read 3,057,528 times
If you want walkable, your options in the burbs are Oakmont, Aspinwall, parts of Mt. Lebanon, Sewickley, Bellvue and West View. Realistically, with your budget you would want to look at Sewickley, Mt. Lebanon, Oakmont or Aspinwall. The commute from Oakmont is brutal. Now I realize that parts of Regent Square are the burbs but a lot of people view it as part of the city. Sewickley is pretty tough with a budget of 250,000. Mt. Lebaonon is doable but you will always be able to find more house in another area. Stay by the Dormont line (I forget the name, Mission Hills or Sunset Hills or something like that). Aspinwall, is really a city neighborhood in the burbs. Houses are close together and about half of them don't have a driveway. I liked it when I lived there but I am not sure if we could live there now since we are used to a big driveway and yard. Also, 250,000 in Aspinwall probably gets you less than Mt. Lebanon. Regardless of where you look you have to understand that living in the right side of a "town" can save you about 10 minutes. Here is the difference, Mt. Lebanon has plenty of municipal attractions. Aspinwall you gotta join a swim club, etc. Oh yeah, Mt. Lebanon doesn't have school bus service.

I live in O'Hara Township. My commute to downtown (at 8:45) takes about 25-35 minutes. Home at 4:30 takes about 45 minutes.

My personal belief is that most people brag about their commutes on this forum and that realistically they are a little longer. They also love the East End and over sell the quality of the city schools. IMO private schools in the city are required. So, big house in a nice area of the East End (debatable whether 250 is enough, I would say no but others would say yes), and private schools means the need to bring home big bucks (at least 150,000) to make it work.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTtoPA View Post
Thanks Hopes - would South Park have a reasonable commute time by car or easy public transportation to Technology Drive? And is it a nice place to live? Schools etc.
South Park is the same commute time as I provided for Bethel Park. (copied below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
For Technology Drive, I'd aim for living in Bethel Park and commute via Lebannon Road, across the Glenwood Bridge, and take 2nd Ave and Irvine Street all the way down through down through Hazelwood.
But I'm recommending living in Bethel Park, not South Park. Bethel Park schools rank better. It is a nice place to live. It's often not mentioned because it's right next to Upper St. Clair and Mt. Lebo. But it's a nice township with good schools and it's an easier commute to Technology Drive and closer to South Park.

FYI: There is a huge county park called South Park and a township/school district called South Park. Bethel Park is literally next to both South Park, the park and the township.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
They also love the East End and over sell the quality of the city schools. IMO private schools in the city are required. So, big house in a nice area of the East End (debatable whether 250 is enough, I would say no but others would say yes), and private schools means the need to bring home big bucks (at least 150,000) to make it work.
Totally agree with this.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:26 PM

13 posts, read 12,988 times
Isn't Pittsburgh Science & Tech in Oakland a good city school?

..im childless so i cant vouch for Pgh schools. It bothers me that people don't have the choice to live in the city and have a top notch education..and in that sense we prolong the spread and dread of suburbia

Old 01-23-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinahtoo View Post

..im childless so i cant vouch for Pgh schools. It bothers me that people don't have the choice to live in the city and have a top notch education..and in that sense we prolong the spread and dread of suburbia
It's a good school, but it's a magnet.

Students are chosen by a weighted lottery and there's a waiting list.

There is no guarantee a child will attend there.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:47 PM

1,324 posts, read 890,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinahtoo View Post

Don't buy the hype. The "dread" of city schools is the story suburbanites tell themselves to justify their commute.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Don't buy the hype. The "dread" of city schools is the story suburbanites tell themselves to justify their commute.
Tell that to the mother who recently posted a thread about trying to get her child out of Colfax. The East End is the most desirable city public school area and it's not really working out for her family.

Either way, the OP is coming from Vermont. Ever been to Vermont? The entire state has 600k people. It's very rural. Their cities are like our small towns. If she wanted to live in the city, she would have asked about it.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:04 PM

4,445 posts, read 3,149,559 times
Just for the record, public grade schools are fine for the city. But high school is a whole different story. Take my word for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh