Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:56 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Hey, VTtoPA. You pretty much received all the advice you will about where to live. The only suburban neighborhoods with good schools and walkable to a thriving business district are Sewickley, Aspinwall, Fox Chapel, Oakmont, Mt. Lebanon. But Mt. Lebo is the only one that is truly convenient for commuting to Technology Drive. If you want to be closer to South Park you'll have to give up walking to a coffee shop.
Even ignoring the commute factor, I would do a house search on a local real estate company website in those communities with your budget and look at your options. I bet you would feel that Mt. Lebanon would be your best choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 01:19 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Damn! It was my fault! I shouldn't have shared my opinion about the city schools.
Amen.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:11 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,001 times
Quote:

The average middle class parents who are caring and invovled will have successful children too. But they won't be able to afford to save their children from mistakes, like drug addiction, like wealthy parents can.
Unfortunately,this ^ is an all too common myth that teens who come from upper class families, who live in wealthy neighborhoods and attend the very best schools are never affected by substance abuse .Many people are falsely lulled into thinking that their kids are automatically more secure and away from the dangers of drugs just because they may live in what's considered to be one of the best neighborhoods.Binge drinking, abuse of prescription drugs like snorting Ritalin are some things that are popular among the rich kids.

The parents often work long hours or have other important social obligations to meet,and don't always realize their kids have a problem until they're faced with the horror of their child who is in the grips of a full blown addiction.

Treatment and relapse prevention is rarely successfull if forced by parent only. Doesn't matter how many or best quality of resources available either. The decision solely lies with the addict who has to be ready and really want to become clean and no amount of money can buy that.

A friend of mine who is rather affluent, sent her child to a renowned spa-resort type drug rehab on the west coast a few years ago. She spent thousands of dollars for the child to spend a 6 week stint there. After her child completed the program and before the ink was even dry on the check she wrote to pay for it- her kid was out copping again!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Unfortunately,this ^ is an all too common myth that teens who come from upper class families, who live in wealthy neighborhoods and attend the very best schools are never affected by substance abuse. Many people are falsely lulled into thinking that their kids are automatically more secure and away from the dangers of drugs just because they may live in what's considered to be one of the best neighborhoods.Binge drinking, abuse of prescription drugs like snorting Ritalin are some things that are popular among the rich kids.

The parents often work long hours or have other important social obligations to meet,and don't always realize their kids have a problem until they're faced with the horror of their child who is in the grips of a full blown addiction.

Treatment and relapse prevention is rarely successfull if forced by parent only. Doesn't matter how many or best quality of resources available either. The decision solely lies with the addict who has to be ready and really want to become clean and no amount of money can buy that.

A friend of mine who is rather affluent, sent her child to a renowned spa-resort type drug rehab on the west coast a few years ago. She spent thousands of dollars for the child to spend a 6 week stint there. After her child completed the program and before the ink was even dry on the check she wrote to pay for it- her kid was out copping again!
It's not a myth. I never said they are never affected. (I know all too well that affluent schools have more drugs because the students have more money.) I said their parents have more resources to save them from their mistakes. Affluent parents have the means. She's out copping again, but her parents can afford to get her treatment over and over if they chose. My upper middle class neighbor's house foreclosed trying to save her daughter from addiction. That's the difference wealth buys---a possibility, a chance. Middle class parents don't have the same resources for saving their children. Lower class parents have it even worse. I only used addiction as one way affluent parents can tip the scales for mistakes their children make. Another example is they can often make arrests just disappear with the right connections.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:46 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
Back on topic folks, please.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh