U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:34 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,892,631 times

Advertisements

Google Pittsburgh expanding and hiring. Best place to work in U.S., says Fortune.

I'll be interested to see pictures of the new floor modeled on Kennywood, but the real news of long-term value is that Google is expanding its presence here because it has enjoyed having access to the talent the local universities are producing. That is something that could continue to attract more Google-type businesses here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 12:49 PM

13 posts, read 13,173 times
The new floor is awesome!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:59 PM

6,907 posts, read 4,382,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Google Pittsburgh expanding and hiring. Best place to work in U.S., says Fortune.

I'll be interested to see pictures of the new floor modeled on Kennywood, but the real news of long-term value is that Google is expanding its presence here because it has enjoyed having access to the talent the local universities are producing. That is something that could continue to attract more Google-type businesses here.
That's why I think Duquesne should push to improve. CMU-Pitt-Duquesne could create a real "Research Triangle" with a synergy like there is in Boston.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:09 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,439,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
That's why I think Duquesne should push to improve. CMU-Pitt-Duquesne could create a real "Research Triangle" with a synergy like there is in Boston.
I agree with this. Point Park has been very agressive in expanding it's footprint Downtown. In fairness to Duquesne, they have invested a fair share of money over the last several years. They can do a lot more given the state of the neighborhood being an open book. Duquesne should dominate the Uptown/Bluff area moreso than they do now. They have come down from the Bluff and moved across Forbes. It is time to start creeping east on Forbes towards the Birmingham Bridge while the Oakland Portal and other projects in West Oakland creep west towards Uptown so we can have a continuity in this education corridor.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Duquesne and Point Park are both making a lot of use of the current trends in Pittsburgh to expand and improve.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 PM

692 posts, read 446,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I agree with this. Point Park has been very agressive in expanding it's footprint Downtown. In fairness to Duquesne, they have invested a fair share of money over the last several years. They can do a lot more given the state of the neighborhood being an open book. Duquesne should dominate the Uptown/Bluff area moreso than they do now. They have come down from the Bluff and moved across Forbes. It is time to start creeping east on Forbes towards the Birmingham Bridge while the Oakland Portal and other projects in West Oakland creep west towards Uptown so we can have a continuity in this education corridor.

Don't you think Mercy Hospital being in the way makes things a little more difficult?

Old 01-25-2012, 02:58 PM

By the way, I have a lot of reservations about the notion of universities dominating large chunks of urban land. I do support Point Park and Duquesne expanding and improving, but I hope they don't increase their respective footprints too much in the process.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:13 PM

692 posts, read 446,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
By the way, I have a lot of reservations about the notion of universities dominating large chunks of urban land. I do support Point Park and Duquesne expanding and improving, but I hope they don't increase their respective footprints too much in the process.
This in itself might be grounds for a whole new topic, but do you care to share why?

I will be first to say, I'm in agreement. Higher education, specifically institutions that are primarily for granting degrees (vs research or enhancing the arts), is pretty out of control. Producing new degrees, which is the product that sort of univeristy is making, isn't necessarily what society needs in order to be productive. Is this the line of thinking you're taking?

Old 01-25-2012, 03:31 PM

3,945 posts, read 3,578,200 times
As a student at duquesne, I'm not sure if the school will be doing any big improvements or buildings in the future. I know many of the school offices /clubs have seen budget cuts because the school.is concerned about enrollment which is down over 2 years ago.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:34 PM

6,907 posts, read 4,382,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
As a student at duquesne, I'm not sure if the school will be doing any big improvements or buildings in the future. I know many of the school offices /clubs have seen budget cuts because the school.is concerned about enrollment which is down over 2 years ago.
First order of business is fundraising. Duquesne's endowment in 2010 was $140 million. Dietrich added $12.5 million to that. I was a little disappointed when it came out later that Dietrich left $25 million to Thiel College. Naturally it was his money to do with what he wants but maybe giving $37.5 million to Duquesne would have been better. Anyway, Duquesne's endowment might be over $150 million now. I'd say their task is to try and double that.

I personally would like to see all three schools increase their footprints and maybe place a research/incubator park between the three. In Atlanta, a Georgia Mental Health property of 42 acres was sold to Emory University for just $3 million. It is being used for research between Emory and Georgia Tech. We also had a military base in Atlanta close of 500 acres. Reportedly the state of Georgia wants to set aside 100 acres of it to serve as a biotech research/incubator.

And in Raleigh NC, North Carolina State's influence is all over that place. They created a new campus there by a large lake for their Centennial campus housing NCSU's computer science and engineering with research and incubator centers. You'll find Red Hat (Linux) based there.

The future might be to have research universities and high tech companies have a closer association to move stuff out of the lab straight to the marketplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh