Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 02:06 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
There are something like two billion (I may be slightly overestimating) drug stores Downtown where you can get basic stuff.
Seriously! There's a CVS on every block!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 04:16 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times
  • I hoped something would take over that space. The Strip promises to grow in population in the next few years. With Lot 24 and Otto Milk Condos opening within a year or so, and ground broken next year on apartments behind the produce terminal, there will a be a built in customer base within a five minute walk. They key will be to stay open until at least 8 or 9 pm. This will offer something the shops on Penn cannot offer to the people who live down there. This will be a store that highly depends on locals to help suppport, as opposed to the shops on Penn who could survive without the Strip residents despite highly appreciating their business. Right by Nature was a nice store and a good idea. I think that they were in the neighborhood a bit early in it's growth of realizing potential. That is still several years away. The price point was a bit high in a sparcely populated neighborhood with specialty stores only a stones throw away. I think in another five years or so an organic food store will do well in The Strip.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:02 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times
I lived in Erie for several years, and there was a Giant Eagle and a Wegman's within a mile or so of each other on Peach St. They seemed on par to me. I'm usually not a cheerleader for businesses from which I gain no profit; perhaps I can sell some conspicuously branded apparel so people can become walking advertisements, eh? I have Wegman's and Giant Eagle hats, starting at $14.99.

Coincidentally, I read elsewhere on city-data not too long ago about Wal Mart's failed attempt (which was years ago) to establish themselves in Germany. They ended up losing billions of dollars and made a full retreat out of the country.

Grocery profit margins are relatively thin, from what I understand, so I think it would be hard to have a viable wal-mart style grocer in a high rent, highly valued, lightly populated area like Downtown. They would have to have a lot of highly marked up non-grocery or specialty items. Wal Mart has an allure no doubt, but not enough to sustain a Downtown store...although, maybe if they subsidized 500 parking spots they'd have a shot.

If a company (like wal mart) is focused on nothing but growth and regards stasis as failure, then once they've saturated the market they may try desperate measures.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookline_sylvia View Post
Wal Mart has an allure no doubt, but not enough to sustain a Downtown store...although, maybe if they subsidized 500 parking spots they'd have a shot.
This is why I thought the Civic Arena location would be best. Lots of parking and close to where so many live.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:46 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Coincidentally, I read elsewhere on city-data not too long ago about Wal Mart's failed attempt (which was years ago) to establish themselves in Germany. They ended up losing billions of dollars and made a full retreat out of the country.
As an aside, here's a pretty good read on the subject: http://www.iwim.uni-bremen.de/publik...n/pdf/w024.pdf Among other things, Walmart in Germany actually failed to have prices that were lower then the competition.

They do increasingly very well in the UK (though called Asda there)

Old 02-05-2012, 10:51 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Brian, if you have a better idea for a location for a Walmart downtown, which is what this thread is all about state it. Seems there are some that agree with my location , since parking is already there.
How about nowhere?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:19 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
How about nowhere?
That would be my vote as well, but I am trying to look at it from Walmart's eyes. That being said, I feel they can't be in the middle of downtown, it would be better to be on the side of downtown. Um, that leaves only a handful of places. The Civic Arena area or maybe the Strip. I DON'T want Walmart in the Strip, therefore I will suggest the Civic Arena location. Brian seems to want to suggest I didn't think this through. If someone has a better location, speak up. Sure, no where is my first choice, but if they ARE going to build one, where?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times
If wal mart were to build in an area in or near Downtown then the civic arena site would probably be the one that best fits what they would need to be successful. Maybe build a parking garage, like Target did in E. Liberty.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:55 AM
gg

Quote:
If wal mart were to build in an area in or near Downtown then the civic arena site would probably be the one that best fits what they would need to be successful. Maybe build a parking garage, like Target did in E. Liberty.
A parking garage would be good. I just don't want to see some big new place in the Strip that has some giant sign, "WALMART" on it. The Civic Arena spot has no historical value anymore and it is more of a blank canvass. Like the Target in East Liberty, which didn't really take away from that spot, I feel Walmart in the Civic Arena location, won't take much away. Just build a new area there to service the locals in the city and the Hill.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I feel Walmart in the Civic Arena location, won't take much away. Just build a new area there to service the locals in the city and the Hill.

Hill District people have been complaining for decades about the dirth of places to shop in their community for basic necessities. WMT on the arena site could be a good location with public transit access, walkability as well as good access to highways and Bigelow Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh