U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 04:48 PM

1,128 posts, read 977,586 times
I would have to say, for the most part where there is a will there's a way (with the exception of moving to NYC and trying to live on minimum wage, but that's another story for another day.) I believe that Pittsburgh is an easier city to get adjusted to given the fact that our unemployment is comparatively low and our housing is lower than many other cities (although I expect it to be higher than Fargo.) If I were moving here, if nothing else I would get a job at a Wal Mart of somewhere that usually pays above minimum wage to hold me over until I find another job (or even look at getting promoted to management.) From the looks of things, you want to try a larger city so I will say go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 08:38 PM

33 posts, read 73,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

The OP can always move back in a few years if she wants. ND is booming. It's not like she won't be able to find a job.
I am a "he" actually.

Was it all that talk about pretty snowflakes and stuff? If that is the case then, umm... monster trucks, beer, guns, farts, and Rush.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 PM

26,212 posts, read 45,870,912 times
I relocated from my native area in the Northeastern corner of PA to the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC and absolutely detested my experience there. With that being said, though, I still value my year-and-a-half tenure there as a learning experience. I learned that moving somewhere specifically for a cushy job offer (and nothing else) is a horrible idea. I sought refuge in Pittsburgh and have found my quality-of-life to have improved everywhere except for the employment front, but I finally have a promising job interview tomorrow for a full-time position with one of the city's largest employers, so that could also improve.

Will Pittsburgh be the place I settle down permanently? Who knows? I find myself to still be just as elated to live in this city as I did when I moved here well over a year ago. With that being said, though, I agree with Katiana that once you move away from your family they'll always expect YOU to come to THEM for any sort of visit. I must admit the thought of spending any and all vacation time I accrue to visit them instead of going on a "real" vacation is sobering and almost makes me want to move back to Eastern PA. However, Pittsburgh works very well for me at this stage of my life, and I look forward to living here for the foreseeable future.

OP, if you have the "itch" to move somewhere, then scratch it. I'm 25 and have now moved twice to satisfy my nomadic curiosity. I crashed and burned with my first decision but have now risen like the Phoenix in my new Nirvana. The worst decision I ever could have made in my life would have been to have permitted my fears of the "unknown" to prevent me from spreading my wings and experiencing different areas.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:46 PM

3,871 posts, read 3,388,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I relocated from my native area in the Northeastern corner of PA to the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC and absolutely detested my experience there. With that being said, though, I still value my year-and-a-half tenure there as a learning experience. I learned that moving somewhere specifically for a cushy job offer (and nothing else) is a horrible idea. I sought refuge in Pittsburgh and have found my quality-of-life to have improved everywhere except for the employment front, but I finally have a promising job interview tomorrow for a full-time position with one of the city's largest employers, so that could also improve.

Will Pittsburgh be the place I settle down permanently? Who knows? I find myself to still be just as elated to live in this city as I did when I moved here well over a year ago. With that being said, though, I agree with Katiana that once you move away from your family they'll always expect YOU to come to THEM for any sort of visit. I must admit the thought of spending any and all vacation time I accrue to visit them instead of going on a "real" vacation is sobering and almost makes me want to move back to Eastern PA. However, Pittsburgh works very well for me at this stage of my life, and I look forward to living here for the foreseeable future.

OP, if you have the "itch" to move somewhere, then scratch it. I'm 25 and have now moved twice to satisfy my nomadic curiosity. I crashed and burned with my first decision but have now risen like the Phoenix in my new Nirvana. The worst decision I ever could have made in my life would have been to have permitted my fears of the "unknown" to prevent me from spreading my wings and experiencing different areas.
Good luck with your interview!

Old 01-31-2012, 08:53 PM

42,394 posts, read 47,526,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalt View Post
I am a "he" actually.

Was it all that talk about pretty snowflakes and stuff? If that is the case then, umm... monster trucks, beer, guns, farts, and Rush.
Stop the macho madness! The other stuff was even better coming from a guy.

I get gender wrong all the time on the internet. It wasn't anything you said.

Quote:
but I finally have a promising job interview tomorrow for a full-time position with one of the city's largest employers, so that could also improve.
OMGoodness! I'm excited for you! I hope you get it! Good luck!

Old 01-31-2012, 08:59 PM
gg

11,274 posts, read 7,427,527 times
Quote:
I finally have a promising job interview tomorrow for a full-time position with one of the city's largest employers, so that could also improve.
Glad you might get into Walmart. Wishing you the best.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The bold is pretty much the same everywhere.

A pro or con, depending on how you look at it, is you may meet and marry someone from Pittsburgh. This person may not want to ever live in ND. (Someone mentioned going back there to raise a family.) A lot of Pittsburghers have lived there for generations; the idea of even going somewhere else for Christmas may be out of the question.

Another definite con is that it will be expensive for you to travel back to ND. Take it from me, a Pittsburgher who transplanted to Denver, your ND fam will expect YOU to go back there to visit THEM. You may get your parents to come out once in a while, but they're probably the only ones who will come out more than once or twice, even if you live there for the next 35 years (until you retire).
I don't know if I'll ever want to move back to North Dakota. Or maybe in 5 or 10 years I'll want to move to... I don't know, New Mexico? Or my job might take me to another state or I could find opportunity somewhere else. Should I marry, my wife might need to move because of her job or maybe she'll want to move somewhere else. Or maybe I'll just get sick of it all and want to move back to North Dakota. There's no way to tell without actually doing it.

I understand that I will be isolated from my family and my friends. I'm okay with that. But I can't live my life for them. I can't let whatever feelings may be hurt or whatever homesickness I'll have stand in the way of something I want to do. Missing family and friends didn't make the con list because I know it's something that has to happen if and when I decide to move.

I also understand that I'll be the one who's expected to go back to visit them. Again, I'm okay with that.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not necessarily. (How do you know the OP is a she? Did I miss something?) Moving back may be easy, or hard, definitely harder if s/he gets married and the spouse has a job in Pgh. The job situation in ND may change rapidly, built as it is on oil. The oil industry was booming in Denver in 1980. Five years later, it was all over.

I'm just pointing out a few pro/cons. Airfare to Fargo, according to Expedia, runs $667 to $872 per person, for a flight booked three weeks in advance. (I just searched for what they suggested re: dates.)
http://www.expedia.com/Flights-Searc...ch&rfrr=-34980

The reality of the situation is that few people will come out to visit him/her. There is a thread going on Denver about that, and many of my friends and acquaintances have said the same. The expectation is that the one who moved away should do the majority of the traveling. The fam might show up for a special event, but as one guy (also from PA said) all he gets is excuses, excuses, excuses.

The OP should go into such a move aware of these things.
It's the western part of the state that's having the oil boom. Here in the eastern part of the state, we're pretty isolated from it. (No McDonald's here are starting people out at 15 bucks an hour, rent and home prices haven't skyrocketed, etc.) We're pretty stable here in our neck of the woods.

I totally get that it'll be me making the trip back home to visit people. With any luck I can convince my friends to come out for a few days or something like that. But the whole point of moving isn't to take my old life with me, it's to start a new chapter.

Edit- I also checked expedia and there are flights from Fargo to Pittsburgh in May for $477 round trip. Unless it's an emergency, I don't see just flying back home on less than a month's notice.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:28 PM

42,394 posts, read 47,526,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Glad you might get into Walmart. Wishing you the best.
Why do you have to always be so rude?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:

Best of luck on your interview!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh