U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 PM

10,756 posts, read 6,703,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why do you have to always be so rude?
He said, "one of the city's largest employers". With his background I figured Walmart. There is nothing rude about Walmart. It is a good company and there are plenty of people making six figures there. Certainly a step up from a delivery boy.

Like I sad, good luck. You are still young and if you hang in there, you might make head cashier in 6-10 years and be bringing down $12 or maybe even mor an hour!!! In 20 years you might be in management and work 60 hours a week and bring down $35K!!!!!. If you keep going, you will not have to bring the carts in and no more cashier time. You can really go places. Just think long term as you are doing. Congrats and wishing you the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 10:50 PM

3,884 posts, read 3,565,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalt View Post
It's the western part of the state that's having the oil boom. Here in the eastern part of the state, we're pretty isolated from it. (No McDonald's here are starting people out at 15 bucks an hour, rent and home prices haven't skyrocketed, etc.) We're pretty stable here in our neck of the woods.

I totally get that it'll be me making the trip back home to visit people. With any luck I can convince my friends to come out for a few days or something like that. But the whole point of moving isn't to take my old life with me, it's to start a new chapter.

Edit- I also checked expedia and there are flights from Fargo to Pittsburgh in May for $477 round trip. Unless it's an emergency, I don't see just flying back home on less than a month's notice.
McD's starts out at $15 an hour? That's more than I make working for a hospital with a degree! That's it. I'm moving to Fargo. Lol

Old 01-31-2012, 11:34 PM

33 posts, read 70,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
McD's starts out at $15 an hour? That's more than I make working for a hospital with a degree! That's it. I'm moving to Fargo. Lol
Ha! Like I said, you won't find Micky-Dee's paying that in Fargo, you'd have to go out west to Williston or someplace like that. Hope you got a big car to live in !

However, there are a lot of opportunities in health care if you're interested!

Old 01-31-2012, 11:51 PM

I've always been intrigued by Bismarck. I have no idea why. I have just always imagined it to be an interesting place.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:12 AM

33 posts, read 70,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I've always been intrigued by Bismarck. I have no idea why. I have just always imagined it to be an interesting place.
The Bismarck-Mandan area is a pretty cool place. I think on the whole, the look of the place is a lot nicer than the Fargo-Moorhead area. Geographically, the FM area is flat and the only real natural landmark is the Red River, and that's only impressive when it floods and there really isn't a whole lot of recreational activities on it, aside from catfishing and I think catfish are gross, bottom-feeding dinosaurs and wouldn't touch one.

Bismarck has the Missouri River which has tons of stuff to do on it and is a lot more hilly. Downtown Bismarck is awesome. The capitol building and heritage center are a must-see. Plus, you'll want to check out Ft. Mandan, were Lewis and Clark stayed.

Bismarck is indeed interesting!

Old 02-01-2012, 02:29 AM

You've convinced me to visit!

Here's a funny ND tourism video, if you haven't seen it:

North Dakota Least Visited State - YouTube

Old 02-01-2012, 04:56 AM

1,125 posts, read 675,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Just reading your post, your "cons" are many and your "pros" are few.

You are young and if you want can get a job wherever, so you could move around a bit. If you dream of a move just do it. You can always go back home. No big deal.

Agreed, you can always move back. Don't be that person who sticks around the same place for the entirety of their lives. Get out, experience new places, get exposed to new ideas, and don't just assume that because you grew up in small town USA that you are going to hate living in a city. You don't really figure out what you want out of life until you try everything and compare.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 AM

18,717 posts, read 13,861,809 times
SCR, good luck with your interview. I saw your post on the other forum about moving to the Lehigh Valley, and also wish you the best of luck with your move there if this is the path you end up choosing. I'd get a job before moving to Allentown, though. Just my two cents.

Marshal, for what it's worth I moved a few times when I was your age and have always been glad I tried living in different cities before I chose one to settle down in. It's true that not every town appeals to everyone, so there's always the possibility the Pittsburgh won't be a good fit for you. But IMO that's no big deal--if it happens, you can move back or try yet another city.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:25 AM

4,262 posts, read 3,753,039 times
Quote:
Glad you might get into Walmart. Wishing you the best.
Quote:
He said, "one of the city's largest employers". With his background I figured Walmart. There is nothing rude about Walmart. It is a good company and there are plenty of people making six figures there. Certainly a step up from a delivery boy.
How do you know it's Walmart? It could be Giant Eagle.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:26 AM

67,419 posts, read 55,083,343 times
SCR, good luck on your interview. We'll send some good karma along for you! Thanks also for validating what I said about how the one who moves away is the one to do most of the traveling to visit. That seems to be universal.

@marshalt: You seem to have done some research, so you'll do OK. I'm curious as to why you chose Pittsburgh. It seems like a lot of North Dakotans go to Denver or Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh