U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:39 AM

438 posts, read 439,603 times

Advertisements

I agree that it's difficult, especially for newcomers, to make sense of a traffic report when the route numbers aren't included in the description. Houston was just as bad or worse about this. There, the Baytown East Freeway (east of downtown) and the Katy Freeway (west of downtown) both refer to I-10. And even worse, the North Freeway (north of downtown), Gulf Freeway (south of downtown) and the Pierce Elevated (elevated section downtown) all refer to I-45.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 AM

13,217 posts, read 10,877,922 times
I've incorporated "nebby" into my vocabulary, but I leave "buggy," "gumband," and "it needs washed" to the natives.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:59 AM

620 posts, read 485,736 times
Isnt it "wohrrsh'd"?

Old 02-03-2012, 11:31 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,892,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Well that's different. Seemed to me people were going on about an inability to understand it.
Just for the sake of clarity, I have always been responding to this statement above:

Quote:
Pittsburgh its "Parkways" North, East and West (THE WORST of the 3), we have a few members on here who refuse to use the term "Parkway" they mostly are transplants so they say the actual interstate route (I guess they feel its dirty).
Others may have been expressing a lack of understanding, but for me it is definitely a lack of will.

Quote:
But it's not difficult to flip back and forth, or at least I never found it such.
I find it takes me a small but annoying amount of effort. Maybe with practice it would be different, but I don't really see the need to practice.

Quote:
Once you know what it means then you can better understand things like traffic reports.
I never listen to those (I mostly don't drive when it would matter, and if I do want traffic info I tend to get it online--like with Google Maps, as you noted). Again, this is all just me explaining why I don't bother with the Parkway stuff.

Quote:
But I kinda like "slippy" after all these years. Even in a language full of strange stuff, it seems like that is a standout exception to the usual formation.
I also like "slippy".

Old 02-03-2012, 11:33 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,892,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've incorporated "nebby" into my vocabulary.
I sometimes use "nebby" too, and an occasional "jagoff".

Old 02-03-2012, 01:36 PM

2,737 posts, read 1,890,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Like West Coast they use "The" before every interstate hwy route...."The 5", "The 105", "The 405"...I never understood this....
Actually, here in northern Ca, we don't use "the" before the freeway number (we call them freeways). In SoCal they use the "the" prefix.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:50 PM

6,009 posts, read 2,002,937 times
Will someone please red up the room?

And go outside and cut back those jagger bushes.

And get those highball glasses outta the cubbord.

Those cakeeaters are such jagoffs.

Kennywood's open.

Last edited by Goinback2011; 02-03-2012 at 05:03 PM..

Old 02-03-2012, 04:55 PM

6,907 posts, read 4,382,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
10 - I'll end with my observation of one pronounciation I've giggled at several times. Its called North "Versailles"...not "Vurrsales". I got stared down and caled a "fancy talker" the first time I said that.
Even in Atlanta we have a road Ponce de Leon which we pronounce Ponse duh Lee-on.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:05 PM

8,501 posts, read 7,745,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Will someone please red up the room?

REDD

It's a real word n'at, ya jagoff!

Old 02-03-2012, 05:28 PM

264 posts, read 232,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
Local general vernacular for a multi-lane generally fast moving roadway is "highway". Parkway refers to specific roads and I think that dates back to when the project was termed the Penn-Lincoln Parkway for the highway being built through the region from the Turnpike to the airport. Which then became "the Parkway" in local parlance and then "east" versus "west" to denote the side of the city. The Parkway North wasn't born until the late 80s. Generally on the east coast parkway is used in the name of highways -- The Blue Ridge Parkway being another one -- but I've never heard anyone generically refer to a highway as a parkway. I've heard "expressway" used generically and also I-76 in Philly is known as the Schuylkill Expressway, but always thought "freeway" was just used on the west coast.
Very informative! Tried to rep you but apparently I need to spread it around a bit. I must think you spread a lot of wisdom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh