Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 04:11 PM

632 posts, read 1,070,883 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

I read this every other day or so, (creepy I know) and thought I'd give my impression after now living here 3 months (gave my first day and one month update already).

1 - Our downtown is amazing. People here seem to always bash the city but dont realize how good they have it. Again - I moved here from Detroit...but I've been all over the country and seen several downtowns. Ours is one of the most walkable and compact city areas I've seen. You can walk from one side to the other without ever feeling in danger, and always have something to do/see. Strip District to Duquesne, Point Park to the edge of the Hill District at Consol.

2 - People always seem completely amazed when I tell them I live in South Side but work out near Wilmerding. It seems like crossing a river in a daily commute is a huge deal for many people? With the reverse commute, it takes me 15 minutes tops to get from my front door to my desk. Everyone I work with out that way seems to live out that way. just seems a cultural thing to "live where you work"?

3 - Freeways, not parkways. And 55mph is asinine. I started the onramp/offramp stuff last time, I'm sure this will spark some argument...but come on. On the same note of driving - pedestrian right of way - it doesn't exist here, does it?

4 - Public Transportation - many here thinks its the worst in the world it seems. I understand there are changes/cuts coming...but right now I see a city with a system that services the people who need it when they need it. Coming from Detroit...a bus system period is a nice change.

5 - Yuengling. People pay to drink dirty dishwater?! Kidding aside - while there isnt a huge microbrewery/craft brew scene IN Pittsburgh, I've definitely noticed an appreciation for good beer by a lot of people. Church Brew Works is great! Houghs in Greenfield has an amazing selection. So does the Library/Ruggers down in South Side.

6 - Ghettos. Moving here, everyone tells me that areas like Homestead, Hill District, etc are "ghettos". Coming from Detroit - they're like regional Chuckie Cheeses! I'm a big fan of Rust Belt, industrial areas. I'm a blue collar guy. I've been through Highland Park, East/West Side Detroit, Oak Park, etc...places I wont go if I dont have to. I dont mind a bad neighborhood - but I have yet to see an area of "Picksburgh" that I wouldnt walk through in the dead of night by myself. Mind you - this is a GOOD thing. Just curious about the relativity of blight.

7 - This "Affordability" thing. Yes...Pittsburgh is a cheap city. I love it here for that! But "most affordable city"? I disagree. Coming from areas like Detroit/Buffalo/etc...I've lived there...and my bills were way lower than here. Just an observation. It might be a "one off" situation.

8 - I have a garage. I still kick over parking chairs on my walk to the bar just because they irritate me. Just saying.

9 - Foodies - I've read the foodies thread. I posted on here about a date destination a few weeks ago. I've seen a lot of good places around here! I'm loving the food scene so far. BYOB is a huge plus in my book too.

10 - I'll end with my observation of one pronounciation I've giggled at several times. Its called North "Versailles"...not "Vurrsales". I got stared down and caled a "fancy talker" the first time I said that.

All in all - after 3 months here....nothing but praise for this city. Just a few quirky observations and things to get used to. You guys all get a 10/10 from me. Love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 04:17 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
#10. We hate frogs.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
9 - Foodies - I've read the foodies thread. I posted on here about a date destination a few weeks ago. I've seen a lot of good places around here! I'm loving the food scene so far. BYOB is a huge plus in my book too.
Where did you end up going? I wanted to ask that day, but I realized you probably wouldn't want to answer since you were heading there within a few hours. Now that it's over and done, fess up! Which restaurant did you chose?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:21 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
#2. Some of the people who are originally from the suburbs and/or moved out of the city 20-30 years ago are pretty much stuck in the "OMG you live IN the CITY?!?" mode. It's not so much the live near where you work thing, because there are a lot of commuters to downtown and Oakland. I think it's more of the reverse commute or living in the city at all being odd to a certain subset of people here.

#5. LOL Keep in mind that while there might not be a big brewPUB scene, there is a fair amount of brewing. Penn, Church, East End, Full Pint, and a few others including some not in the city but around the area. North Country up in Slippery Rock is far but actually a good brewpub.

#10. Welp, I guess nobody warned you before you said that one. Hehehe. Don't try to pronounce DuBois either. (Hint: DOO boys) The reaction is probably more of a "not from these parts are ya?" thing and probably not at all serious unless you were talking to someone really stupid. It's just one of those stupid things. French is okay if the word is Duquesne; it just makes no damn sense! But just like you can't pronounce Newark, Delaware like Newark, New Jersey, you can't pronounce North Versailles, PA like Versailles, France.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:28 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
Hi All!

3 - Freeways, not parkways. And 55mph is asinine. I started the onramp/offramp stuff last time, I'm sure this will spark some argument...but come on. On the same note of driving - pedestrian right of way - it doesn't exist here, does it?
Yep, 45mph is fast to natives.

And as an avid runner and a pedestrian who takes advantage of living in a walkable city neighborhood, it's just plain dangerous for those of us on foot, even if you're the most aware person alive. The disregard for pedestrians is sickening, and when I come across the rare occasion that someone does obey, I usually wave them on.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:34 PM

Hopes - went to Kaleidoscope. Apparently the girl I took was friends with the head cook's girlfriend(?) from high school. Got hooked up. We got into Lawrenceville a bit early and had drinks at Corner Cantina(?). Not a bad night at all. Good cornish game hen. BYOB with a good Cabernet. Was a pleasant evening. I did go to Kaya a few nights ago with my parents while they were in town (they stayed up at the Hampton in between downtown and the Strip). That was quite nice as well.

Greg - I heard Sharp Edge (2 locations?) has some great stuff as well. Mostly Belgians? And I understand its a cultural thing. And the first time I said it was to someone from the area (Mckeesport) and they were humorous and knew where I was coming from (a coworker who knwos I relocated).

Old 02-01-2012, 06:36 PM

Scott - when I run, I almost want to just do laps on the bridges where there are barriers. Its crazy dangerous walking through parkign lots around here, even when you follow the walkways. Frustrating. I understand there are different unwritten laws..but its dangerous.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Greg - I heard Sharp Edge (2 locations?) has some great stuff as well. Mostly Belgians?
Sharp Edge (several locations now) specializes in Belgians. But they don't brew anything, strictly serving there. The 4 names I rattled off actually brew in the city. Well, no, Full Pint is actually in the aforementioned North Versailles. Penn and the Church have pubs. East End is strictly a brewery. So is Full Pint I think. They both have places at their breweries where you can get growlers filled. But you can also get their beers on tap at lots of places in the area now. Full Pint has done a little bottling; East End is very limited when they do bottling but they're supposed to be moving (or have moved) and maybe that will change.

I'm sure there are several other names I have forgotten and this is because I don't really drink beer that much!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Scott - when I run, I almost want to just do laps on the bridges where there are barriers. Its crazy dangerous walking through parkign lots around here, even when you follow the walkways. Frustrating. I understand there are different unwritten laws..but its dangerous.
I do think pedestrian right of way is notably worse here than in some other places I've been. I don't find parking lots to be dangerous exactly, but I'm pretty sure I get what you mean. I'm just used to the fact that I may be pretty close to some cars.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:11 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
I think it all depends on the parking lot.

If you're talking about parking lots on the South Side at night, yes, you're right and you should keep on your toes as a pedestrian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh