Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:15 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
More new restaurants coming to Market Square; Bluebird Kitchen to open in March

The new restaurants in Market Square just keep coming. Several eagerly awaited openings are almost ready, as Vallozzi's and Bluebird Kitchen put finishing touches on interiors and menus, and several restaurants have already celebrated grand openings.

Bluebird Kitchen, which in August became the final tenant to complete the Market Square Place redevelopment, is hoping to have construction finished and a soft opening by early March.

La Cucina Flegrea, formerly of Squirrel Hill, opened last fall at its new location in Market Square. Located in the former Costanzo's space (near Bella Sera), La Cucina Flegrea is open for lunch and dinner six days a week, serving regional Italian cuisine.

Owner Anna Fevola says she wanted to relocate to a great lunch location, and thought there was no better place than Downtown and Market Square.

Noodles & Company, a Denver-based chain noodle shop, opened in the square last month. And last fall, the popular Mt. Lebanon restaurant Il Pizzaiolo announced they would be bringing a similar Neapolitan pizza concept to the former Lubin and Smalley flower shop next to Starbucks.

Finally, Vallozzi's, the 33-year old Greensburg Italian restaurant, is nearing completion of its Fifth Avenue space, and has begun hiring. Julian Vallozzi says he hopes to have the restaurant open within four weeks.

Writer: Andrew Moore
More new restaurants coming to Market Square; Bluebird Kitchen to open in March
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 08:20 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,156 times
Noodles and Co. is open in Oakland. I'll have to go there soon.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:34 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
I'll believe Vallozzi's when I see it... they have had such trouble with the site, and opening has been delays numerous times.

PS... they make a mean cable car! Yummy drink.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:05 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
one just hopes that il pizziaola will have dinner hours on the weekend.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:04 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,886,387 times
We got to Market Square this morning too early to eat at Winghart's, so we tried Diamond Market Bar & Grill. Hands down, one of the worst eating experiences of my life.

First, the place reeked of some kind of fake vanilla something--Vanilla Glade? I thought it was maybe the host's cologne, but it didn't go away after we sat down. Then I decided it must be coming out of the rest rooms, for which there was a prominent sign about ten feet away from where we were sitting. It was like we were sitting on urinal cakes, only without the urine. We never figured out where it was coming from.

It was snowing, and we'd loaded the meter with quarters (one quarter still gets you only 5 minutes), so we ordered. Big mistake. I wasn't that hungry, so I asked for the bread pudding. All bread. No pudding. Dry as could be with a little bit of sauce and not nearly enough whipped cream. My friend got a turkey sandwich, and said it was a total POS.

We decided to get coffee elsewhere, and we discovered when we got to the next place that I still had the napkin tucked into my shirt--that's how fast we wanted to leave Diamond Market Bar & Grill.

I won't be going back there again. Easily one of the five worst meals of my life. Turns out I've been right, avoiding Primanti's (owner of Diamond Market) during each of the 12 years I've been back here.

Last edited by jay5835; 02-04-2012 at 01:16 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 07:08 AM

346 posts, read 537,022 times
The experience doesn 't sound that awful... Your bread pudding was dry and it smelled like vanilla.... You either hardly ever go out to eat, or you've been EXTREMLY lucky that this is one of your five worst eating out experiences ever! Based on your comments about the owner is it possible you had your mind made up before you ever set foot in the place.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
The experience doesn 't sound that awful... Your bread pudding was dry and it smelled like vanilla.... You either hardly ever go out to eat, or you've been EXTREMELY lucky that this is one of your five worst eating out experiences ever! Based on your comments about the owner is it possible you had your mind made up before you ever set foot in the place.
No, the entire restaurant REEKED of vanilla. We smelled it as we walked in. My bread pudding was probably still in the dessert walk-in.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:37 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,878,294 times
Quote:
The experience doesn 't sound that awful... Your bread pudding was dry and it smelled like vanilla.... You either hardly ever go out to eat, or you've been EXTREMLY lucky that this is one of your five worst eating out experiences ever! Based on your comments about the owner is it possible you had your mind made up before you ever set foot in the place.
That would be enough for me not to go back somewhere...

Old 02-06-2012, 07:40 AM

346 posts, read 537,022 times
I give most places 3 strikes... I just no there are a lot of places I was meh on the first time that I ended up loving the next time.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I give most places 3 strikes... I just no there are a lot of places I was meh on the first time that I ended up loving the next time.
Why would I give the place "3 strikes"? I wasn't "meh" on it. I hated it. It's not like there aren't other places to eat in Market Square. If Winghart's weren't open, I'd go to Chipotle, also open at 11. I'd even eat at Moe's before going back to the Diamond Market.

I think I'll wait until Il Pizzaiolo opens before venturing beyond Penn Ave. Fish Co. and Winghart's again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh