U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-17-2012, 10:35 PM

1,992 posts, read 1,706,612 times
And another, a view looking down Franklin Ave. The mercantile store is visible in the background. The red pickup truck is parked roughly in front of the nearest building in the 1910 photo.

(Source: Franklin Avenue )

Interesting that the photgrapher's location in both pictures must've been real close to the same spot. AA, how long have you been doing these photo tours?

For anybody that wants to look, the same site also shows the P&LE station in the same time period.

Attached Thumbnails
Aliquippa Photo Tour-franklin1910.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-17-2012, 11:00 PM

3,870 posts, read 3,287,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I know someone who couldn't get a flight back here and had to spend a night in Memphis. I'm pretty sure she said she was afraid to even walk off the property of the hotel.
There are people who say things like that about Pittsburgh.

I remember when I was working in downtown Lansing, Michigan, and being told by a coworker, "Never move to Pittsburgh! I visited there once and had a gun held to my head!"

I've walked through Flint and Detroit. There is not a city in America that scares me, except Cranberry (just a joke).

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 02-17-2012 at 11:11 PM..

Unread 02-17-2012, 11:06 PM

3,870 posts, read 3,287,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Interesting that the photgrapher's location in both pictures must've been real close to the same spot. AA, how long have you been doing these photo tours?
That's an eerie coincidence! Maybe I was a photographer in a previous life. lol

Unread 02-19-2012, 06:29 AM

7,996 posts, read 6,379,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
There are people who say things like that about Pittsburgh.

I remember when I was working in downtown Lansing, Michigan, and being told by a coworker, "Never move to Pittsburgh! I visited there once and had a gun held to my head!"

I've walked through Flint and Detroit. There is not a city in America that scares me, except Cranberry (just a joke).
Gotta watch out for those soccer Moms that pack.

Unread 02-19-2012, 10:42 AM

425 posts, read 677,191 times
I think the Mercantile Store is now Seniors Apartments. It still is a sturdy building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh