U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-06-2012, 08:45 PM

80 posts, read 58,220 times

Advertisements

Alle-Kiski Valley link to Downtown picks up steam - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Obviously various people/companies have been discussing this for quite a while, but I think there's more hope now more than ever that this project could go through. Financing is even in place.

I know numerous people in Oakmont and Tarentum that would definitely be daily riders -- would anyone be riders?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 09:06 PM

875 posts, read 830,530 times
This, seriously, is the one transit "bright spot" for the region right now, more so than even the North Shore Connector and nearly HALF its cost! I only hope it continues to pick up more steam, it would be a boon for development in the Allegheny Valley. Oakmont would become THE place to live in the region.

My father, still living in Indiana Township house I grew up in and commuting to work Downtown, has already told me he would be a devoted passenger of such a rail line, and that house is more than five miles away from Oakmont!

Old 02-06-2012, 10:42 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,901,765 times
They've reported before they need at least some federal funding--I think they have a chance but you never know with this Congress.

In any event, it is great to see them looking to make a lot of their money back on development near stations.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:43 AM

6 posts, read 1,876 times
As residents of New Kensington, we're super excited too for the prospects of this commuter line actually happening. I can't say we'd be daily riders, but any chance to leave Rt.28 behind us would be so awesome. The water authority here in New Ken has the old railroad building, and word is they might give it up some day to return it to its former use!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:29 AM

970 posts, read 737,033 times
I think it would be ideal for the entire northern tip of Westmoreland County. I grew up near Apollo and was commuting to Downtown everyday and I can safely say, there is no easy way to get from that area to Downtown.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:30 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,901,765 times
In my view the key appeal to this project is that it would be making use of underutilized infrastructure (including Steel Plaza) and revitalizing existing communities--in other words, it is leveraging existing assets, rather than subtracting value from existing assets to open up new greenfield developments.

And the more we can bend the redevelopment and growth of the Pittsburgh region along such paths in the next couple decades, the more prosperous we will end up being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh