U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 AM

4,447 posts, read 3,169,050 times

Advertisements

Part of a "desirable" neighborhood for white people is determined by the lack of a black population. I know that's tough to swallow by progressives but it's always been that way and is continuing due to the fact that reverse white flight is occurring as blacks move to the suburbs. This is not by coincidence.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Part of a "desirable" neighborhood for white people is determined by the lack of a black population. I know that's tough to swallow by progressives but it's always been that way and is continuing due to the fact that reverse white flight is occurring as blacks move to the suburbs. This is not by coincidence.
I don't think anyone's disputing the reality of white flight.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 AM

8,449 posts, read 7,638,021 times
If you are black with a college degree, you are set for life. I wish I had it so good. Tis, great for some though.

That didn't last long, I disagree with Mr. Curtis 100%.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:06 AM

4,447 posts, read 3,169,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
I don't think anyone's disputing the reality of white flight.
My post was in regards to stburr91's comment on what are generally considered desirable neighborhoods.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:08 PM

4,064 posts, read 3,205,511 times
If you count neighborhoods like Allegheny West, Central Northside, and East Allegheny as "desirable", they are much more in line with the city's overall demographics.

(Using the PGNSNAP PDF)
Allegheny West
African American: 18.2%
Asian 1.5%
White 76.6%

Central Northside
African American: 46.1%
Asian 0.8%
White: 49.2%

East Allegheny
African American 30.1%
Asian 1.1%
White: 62.7%

Using the New York Times' Census Tool, you can see that of course we do have neighborhoods like Troy Hill, where there clearly was some racial segregation in the past. Where a mere 300 black people moving there in the past decade accounted for nearly a 1,000% increase in black population.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:36 PM
gg

11,606 posts, read 7,858,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
My black female ( double whammy ) friend with a PhD who has struggled for years fighting the " good ole boys club"....Might slightly disagree.
What is the degree in? If it is social work, there is the answer.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Very curious how h_curtis is going to refute this empirical evidence so that he may continue feeling trodden upon for being white. Let's watch.
What percentage of blacks live life feeling they are "owed"? That contributes to the difference. You need to look at the go getters. If you are ambitious, black and have a college degree, you are set. Companies hire on race to show equality. I have witnessed it too often. On the other hand, if you have a bad attitude and want to get hired, good luck. Like I have said before, I am surrounded by successful black people and there are TONS of them in Pittsburgh. They don't wear pants to their ankles and have underwear hanging out. They are dressed for success.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:12 PM

7,360 posts, read 7,444,637 times
there's no racism anymore. black people just hold themselves down with their bad attitudes and silly baggy pants and white people just don't want to live around them. what's wrong with that? racism goes both ways guyssss one time someone called me "whitey" and i cried.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:16 PM

34 posts, read 24,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
What percentage of blacks live life feeling they are "owed"? That contributes to the difference. You need to look at the go getters. If you are ambitious, black and have a college degree, you are set. Companies hire on race to show equality. I have witnessed it too often. On the other hand, if you have a bad attitude and want to get hired, good luck. Like I have said before, I am surrounded by successful black people and there are TONS of them in Pittsburgh. They don't wear pants to their ankles and have underwear hanging out. They are dressed for success.
H_curtis, for me this post steps into bigotry and race-baiting. You do acknowledge successful black people, but at the same time you imply that their success is a result of affirmative action hiring. And I'd be very reluctant to start a discussion with you about black Pittsburghers who "wear pants to their ankles and have underwear hanging out."

What percentage of blacks live life feeling they are "owed"? That sentiment is inappropriate for this forum, and I wish you didn't feel comfortable expressing or having that feeling.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:26 PM
gg

Look if you are hired by race that is wrong. Call it "affirmative action" or whatever. Bottom line is, where I work there are TONS of very successful black people and they wouldn't need any help from anyone. They are obviously well read and don't walk around wanting to look like a rapper to prove some point or whatever all that is. Me a racist? Hardly. Guess I am surrounded by so many blacks that are successful, it is hard to understand those whining about equality these days. I don't buy into those percentages. The opportunities are there for all. Just have to go get a job. Race means nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh