U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-13-2012, 04:57 PM

34 posts, read 23,162 times
I definitely disagree that race means nothing, even in our present moment - my life experience doesn't support that. But I'm glad you appreciate successful black people, in all sincerity.

I'm running out the door right now but check out that chart ATCarl posted on the first page of the thread - employment opportunities are still worse for black people than for white people. There are also a lot of good stats on the disproportionate sentencing for black people in the justice system compared to white offenders, if you'd like to google it up.

To be a little bit less serious, RAP IS AWESOME and I think that's a great way to dress.

Everything else aside, your statement "What percentage of blacks live life feeling they are "owed"?" is still totally inappropriate, and smacks of race-baiting!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:12 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,071,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Bottom line is, where I work there are TONS of very successful black people and they wouldn't need any help from anyone. They are obviously well read and don't walk around wanting to look like a rapper to prove some point or whatever all that is.
Is your new job with all these fine folk in Atlanta or Houston?

Old 02-13-2012, 06:18 PM

830 posts, read 665,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
What is the degree in? If it is social work, there is the answer.
No actually mine is in social work where women and minorites have a good chance at excelling. She is in the corporate world and has her PhD in Leadership and Management. I believe her Masters was in Business and do not know what her undergraduate degree is. She has fought tooth and nail for what she has and has not been given anything...unlike many of her counterparts in the "good ole boys club". She works for a old very large Pittsburgh based company.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:32 PM

4,240 posts, read 2,698,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Using the New York Times' Census Tool, you can see that of course we do have neighborhoods like Troy Hill, where there clearly was some racial segregation in the past. Where a mere 300 black people moving there in the past decade accounted for nearly a 1,000% increase in black population.

Troy Hill's numbers are a bit skewed, as Troy Hill's census tract includes Herr's Island which was only recently re-settled.

But you are correct, Troy Hill used to be a place where an African American on the street could be assumed to be delivering mail or working for the gas company or perhaps a student at North Catholic.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:34 PM

11,167 posts, read 7,275,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Is your new job with all these fine folk in Atlanta or Houston?
I think you will find that most people in the East End of Pittsburgh don't have time for the race thing. People of all races AND lots of folks from different countries live around Highland Park, East Liberty and Friendship. Also, keep in mind the US voted in a BLACK president. Seems people don't remember that, for some reason. There is a group that feels they are owed. You can call it racist or whatever, but I am mot blind. There are people of all races with issues and it isn't that big of a deal. Takes all kinds.

Anyway, I just don't know if I buy the race thing. When I graduated from college most of my classmates had to leave Pittsburgh and work for at least two years or even more and try and move back. Yes, that was a bunch of white males. Many never returned. It is and always have been a tough place to get a job. Most of the better jobs require lots of WORK experience, not a just a degree.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
No actually mine is in social work where women and minorites have a good chance at excelling.
Maybe excelling, but not getting paid. One of the lowest paying professions, which is sad, considering all the help they provide. Should be a fulfilling career though. Best of luck.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:30 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,620,269 times
There's a few sections of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County that are largley racially one sided. There's often largle clear elements of seperation between white, black, asian, etc for both adults and kids in certain areas. Streo-types influnce people because they grew-up so sepreatly. Its just how it is, yet its still far better than what it used to be and its not that blatent.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
There's a few sections of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County that are largley racially one sided. There's often largle clear elements of seperation between white, black, asian, etc for both adults and kids in certain areas. Streo-types influnce people because they grew-up so sepreatly. Its just how it is, yet its still far better than what it used to be and its not that blatent.
Yes, there are some very ignorant areas of Pittsburgh and obviously the country as a whole. I would like to think people would focus more on progress. We have a black president. I am a white male and voted for a black man and sadly will vote for him again. I don't want to, but that is because of military spending and has nothing to do with him being a certain color. I think there is too much focus on race. There are always that want to fuel the fire however.

Here is an example of ugliness.

Floyd Mayweather Hits Jeremy Lin On Race | ThePostGame

Why not give someone some credit? There was no hype for this NBA player. He i just working hard and doing well so far. Why play a race card? So he is Asian. So what? It is so old and played. There are successful people of all races. Get over it. No one cares. Just be yourself and live your style. If someone is against you for being a certain race, they really aren't worth the time anyway. Just call them ignorant and move on with life.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,994,617 times
Pet peeve: Obama is biracial.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Pet peeve: Obama is biracial.
Well most so-called blacks in the US are really biracial. I agree with you though. So is Tiger Woods. I mean his mother was Asian, but you NEVER hear about Tiger being Asian. That is odd, but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh