U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-13-2012, 09:42 PM

9,562 posts, read 8,098,125 times
Not trying to redirect the conversation or say that segregation between whites and blacks isn't a problem, but I get the sense that blacks and Asians are even more segregated from each other. Just a random observation of mine.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:56 PM

26,092 posts, read 45,383,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
The days of segregation may be gone, but separation is still very prevalent today.

Here is the city as of 2010

27.2% African America
2.9% Asian
2.5% Other
67.4% White

Now let's look at some of the neighborhoods people call most desirable. As you can clearly see, the "desirable neighborhoods" do not reflect the city averages.

Shadyside

5.4% African American
19.9% Asian
0.9% Other
71.9 % White

Point Breeze

4.6% African American
3.3% Asian
0.9% Other
89.1% White

Regent Square

1.8% African American
3.1% Asian
1.0% Other
92.3% White

Squirrel Hill North
3.2% African American
17.0% Asian
2.2% Other
75.0% White

Squirrel Hill South

3.2% African American
11.4% Asian
1.0% Other
82.0% White
Here are some things to consider:

1.) Most "desirable" neighborhoods in the city proper are also expensive.

2.) To afford an expensive neighborhood one must have a relatively high household income.

3.) Those who are college-educated tend to earn higher incomes.

4.) Not a high percentage of African-Americans in Pittsburgh are college-educated in relation to their Caucasian counterparts. Additionally, Asian-Americans tend to be very well educated overall, much more than whites, hence why the majority of the city's relatively scant Asian-American population lives in affluent neighborhoods (i.e. 1 out of 5 Shadyside residents being Asian-American).

5.) Pittsburgh isn't "racist" because its neighborhoods are segregated along socioeconomic lines. Not many college-educated professionals with ample discretionary income---white OR black---want to raise their families in Homewood, Hill District, Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar, or other violent, majority-African-American, majority-impoverished, and majority-non-college-educated neighborhoods. This is why most well-heeled blacks in this city live in Highland Park, Stanton Heights, and some of the Eastern inner suburbs, including the better parts of Wilkinsburg, Churchill, Forest Hills, and Swissvale. Forum member wpipkins would be one of the exceptions to this rule, as he's a black professional who is raising his family in the East Hills, which is often considered an undesirable city neighborhood. Most of his peers with similar income levels would probably echo "white flight" and opt to raise their children in more upper-middle-class surroundings.

6.) Not necessarily saying I concur with h_curtis, but I do admit there is still a small portion of the African-American population in places like Homewood and the Hill District who DO feel like they are "owed" something. Instead of working two jobs to pay bills and take pride in their properties, as friends of mine and I do, they'd rather kvetch about how they can't succeed in life because of whites. As a white male I'm not supposed to freely admit that such "reverse-racism" exists, yet it does. As a point of reference at my recent job interview with a financial firm here in the city a group of nearly a dozen was whittled down to four---two black and two white (and I was the only male, for the record). All four of us, to my knowledge, were given job offers. The majority of those turned down were white. My former employer hired more blacks than whites. My current secondary employer is color-blind when it comes to hiring. I have several African-American friends here, and all are employed. As such, when I hear a black individual whining they can't get a job through no fault of their own I'm inclined to not feel sympathetic because I feel as if they're either not looking fastidiously enough OR are being too picky since I know of too many employers here who are hiring who have no record of such racial profiling.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 PM

1,053 posts, read 941,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Instead of working two jobs to pay bills and take pride in their properties, as friends of mine and I do, they'd rather kvetch about how they can't succeed in life because of whites.
It's strange how this sentiment always picks up steam on this forum, but when you replace "whites" with "affirmative action" to form the equivalent, opposite generalization, the voices go silent and/or defensive.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:12 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,387,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
It's strange how this sentiment always picks up steam on this forum, but when you replace "whites" with "affirmative action" to form the equivalent, opposite generalization, the voices go silent and/or defensive.
I don't even know what you're trying to say here.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
I don't blame the difficulty I had in landing employment commensurate with my education, skills, and experience on affirmative action. I don't think h_curtis was, either. I don't happen to know of any whites who would say they couldn't find suitable employment because of affirmative action. I blame the problems I had on just having bad luck that I knew would eventually dissipate as I gained traction as a "permanent" Pittsburgher, fine-tuned my resume, and networked more. The difference between me and some others who may become discouraged and blame "others" for their job-hunting maladies is that I never gave up, even though it took me 15 months to receive this offer. Too many job-seekers I know won't accept offers that they feel are "beneath" them. Guess what? I possess a fairly high IQ, a B.S. in Accounting, an above-average GPA, numerous years of sales, customer service, and cash-handling experience, and a year-and-a-half of specialized Federal Government audit experience. I used that to deliver gourmet fruit baskets and food simultaneously here to pay my bills instead of just collecting unemployment and blaming everyone under the sun for what ailed me. There seems to be a complete and total lack of accepting personal responsibility in this country anymore. I realize that circumstances will sometimes prohibit some from "picking yourself up by the bootstraps"; however, the number who'd rather freeload than work hard while UNDERemployed until they are FULLY employed is disconcerting to me.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
I don't even know what you're trying to say here.
She's trying to say that it's hypocritical for whites on this sub-forum to think it's acceptable to malign some African-Americans for blaming whites for their inability to secure employment while simultaneously disavowing the fact that some whites blame African-Americans via "affirmative action" for their own inability to secure employment.

I see the point she's trying to make. With that being said, though, I stand by my comments. Most of my white friends here are college-educated. Most of them are underemployed and have been since graduating from college 2-4 years ago due to the dearth of ENTRY-LEVEL skilled employment opportunities here. I'm one of the lucky few to have just finally landed a more gainful offer after 15 months of this recession smacking me upside the head while I worked two delivery jobs (and gained nothing but hemorrhoids and a neck injury in the process). Most blacks that I know who blame whites for their inability to find work are not educated, yet, unlike their more educated white counterparts, are also not willing to take jobs that are "beneath" them to at least make ends meet while always searching for something better. There's nothing to stop an out-of-work African-American male from applying to work at my secondary employer who is always hiring and is color-blind in the hiring process.

I'm just personally peeved that it's 2012, and even with all of the progress we've made towards racial equality in this nation we still have a small segment of the population that thinks it's still 1965 and that they can use racism as a "crutch" to defend what ails them. Most of my white friends have dated outside of their own race, including me. Most of my black friends wouldn't consider doing so (primarily because their families would disapprove). Maybe it's because I live in the supposed "East End liberal bubble" but I really don't see this racism that blacks allege whites harbor towards them here. All I see are a few people trying to pull the race card to make excuses for their own lack of industrious endeavors. Steindle may know whites who pull the race card, proclaiming affirmative action is the reason they can't find work. I don't happen to know any whites who do this.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:49 PM

3,946 posts, read 2,967,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Here are some things to consider:
5.) Pittsburgh isn't "racist" because its neighborhoods are segregated along socioeconomic lines. Not many college-educated professionals with ample discretionary income---white OR black---want to raise their families in Homewood, Hill District, Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar, or other violent, majority-African-American, majority-impoverished, and majority-non-college-educated neighborhoods. This is why most well-heeled blacks in this city live in Highland Park, Stanton Heights, and some of the Eastern inner suburbs, including the better parts of Wilkinsburg, Churchill, Forest Hills, and Swissvale. Forum member wpipkins would be one of the exceptions to this rule, as he's a black professional who is raising his family in the East Hills, which is often considered an undesirable city neighborhood. Most of his peers with similar income levels would probably echo "white flight" and opt to raise their children in more upper-middle-class surroundings.
Isn't that bolded part a prime example of segregation (even if self imposed)? If they're well-heeled, why wouldn't they move to the same desirable neighborhoods that well-heeled whites move to? If what you're saying is true, it's indicative that Pittsburgh neighborhoods are segregated to some extent on race, and not just income.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Isn't that bolded part a prime example of segregation (even if self imposed)? If they're well-heeled, why wouldn't they move to the same desirable neighborhoods that well-heeled whites move to? If what you're saying is true, it's indicative that Pittsburgh neighborhoods are segregated to some extent on race, and not just income.
The well-heeled (or at least middle-to-upper-middle-class) blacks I referenced live in those neighborhoods beside whites, pretty much harmoniously. Highland Park and Stanton Heights are actually two of the best examples in the entire city of middle-to-upper-middle-class blacks and whites living in pretty close ratios and on pretty good terms with one another. Sorry to have made it sound as if those areas were primarily African-American. I agree I didn't really make that clear.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:51 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,606,617 times
Unfortunatly in the working class to low-income neighborhoods of: Hazelwood, Homestead, South Oakland, Fineview, California-Kirkbride, Marshall-Shadeland, East Dutchtown, Knoxville, Mt Oliver Boro, Allentown, Arlington, Carrick, Sheraden, McKees Rocks, Duquesne, McKeesport, Clairton, Braddock, North Braddock, & Rankin the neighborhoods have a bad reputation, because of the black on black crime, gang activity, and robberies when the blacks can make up from only 10-60% of the total documented population.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:05 AM

4,341 posts, read 2,927,685 times
Some of the views in this thread are driving me crazy. Some posts are downright racist against blacks while others are so wildly speculative as if a bunch of white dudes can speak for the black community just on hearsay. Then we have the group of white people who defend blacks to no end as if black people are unable to argue a point themselves. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh