Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:31 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
I would hope they were, they've only been in the game for years and years and are considered two of the best artists all-time in hip-hop.

If you are a fan of Wiz then you would just be happy just to see him at an award show of this stature and being compared along side these two legends, as I am.
To be fair, Kanye's first album came out in 2004 and Wiz's came out in 2005. I know he did production before that but it's not like he was a prominent rapper prior to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:34 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
To be fair, Kanye's first album came out in 2004 and Wiz's came out in 2005. I know he did production before that but it's not like he was a prominent rapper prior to that.
To be fair, he produced for some of Jay-Z's first albums so he has been around and made his connections in the rap game for about a decade before Wiz got started. 2004 might have been his first solo release but he did features before that.

Comparing that to Wiz starting in '05 is apples to oranges, no one in Pittsburgh even new who he was then, and very few outside of Pittsburgh even new that Pittsburgh made music before Wiz. The fact that Wiz brought Pittsburgh back into the front of the bus in pop culture is one of his major accomplishments that he should get his due credit for.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:41 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
To be fair, he produced for some of Jay-Z's first albums so he has been around and made his connections in the rap game for about a decade before Wiz got started. 2004 might have been his first solo release but he did features before that.

Comparing that to Wiz starting in '05 is apples to oranges, no one in Pittsburgh even new who he was then, and very few outside of Pittsburgh even new that Pittsburgh made music before Wiz. The fact that Wiz brought Pittsburgh back into the front of the bus in pop culture is one of his major accomplishments that he should get his due credit for.
That's all well and dandy but that doesn't discount the fact that their debut on the mic was only a very short time apart from one another.

Not that I'm a huge fan of either. I saw Wiz in concert and he was pretty good, but I'll take Atmosphere, Immortal Technique, and Sage Francis over these dudes any day.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
That's all well and dandy but that doesn't discount the fact that their debut on the mic was only a very short time apart from one another.

Not that I'm a huge fan of either. I saw Wiz in concert and he was pretty good, but I'll take Atmosphere, Immortal Technique, and Sage Francis over these dudes any day.

That's great but I'm not trying to convince anyone to like any artist more than another, everyone has their own opinion. I'm just stating the facts.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:22 PM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
New-age pap.
I am a girl, that's why we like that stuff, since we don't have to be on guard to display our machismo. When you get older, you'll soften up tho.
I still play the Beatles, Stones, the Doors, the Who, Journey, Iron Maiden, Metallica, AC/DC, Iron Butterfly, Jethro Tull..

Old 02-15-2012, 05:42 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Wow, I am sadly watching the Grammy's and noticed Black and Yellow mad a list. Are you kidding me?

Thankfully, no more than a nomination.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Thankfully, no more than a nomination.
A mere nomination still makes it one of the five best rap songs of the year in the eyes of the Recording Academy.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:24 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
A mere nomination still makes it one of the five best rap songs of the year in the eyes of the Recording Academy.
Must have been a banner year for Rap.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:38 AM

733 posts, read 986,701 times
Quote:
I'll take Atmosphere, Immortal Technique, and Sage Francis over these dudes any day.
Alright, Aqua Teen, way class up the thread. I bought tickets to see Sage a few years back, but then I wasn't able to make the show.

Ever listen to Blu?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Must have been a banner year for Rap.

Nobody really cares about pop-rap old fella, it's all about the underground and mixtape scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh