Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Bid Should Be Chosen?
BID #1: Shopping Center 6 35.29%
BID #2: Medical Center 11 64.71%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:53 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,497 times

Advertisements

Medical Center. They'll be lucky if they find retail/restaurant tenants to fill Newbury Market. South Fayette is convenient to shopping areas of Robinson, South Hills, and North Strabane/South Strabane Township, Washington County. While I think this area is underdeveloped when it comes to retail and chain stores/restaurants in comparison to other metro areas of it's size, we also have enough of crappy shopping centers that fell by the wayside when new and shiny ones opened (see: Parkway Center Mall and Century III, for examples).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I'd personally prefer to see commercial revitalization occur in Bridgeville Borough's business district before new shopping centers are built in adjoining South Fayette Township (SFT). If I lived in SFT I'd like to have the variety in being close to a pediatric care hospital as well as a bustling small downtown business district. No offense, but the last time I was in Downtown Bridgeville it felt more depressing than anything else.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
It's kind of weird how little retail development there is off that exit, though I know there is some not far away that's been there for years, which is probably the main reason. Would that actually fill out if built? I think it probably would, eventually.

What they really should do is something like have LWE own and build it out and let Children's rent in there if they want to have a spot down there. If Children's owns the space, then they will presumably be taking it off the tax rolls permanently.

Honestly in this case for me it's not so much UPMC backlash even though they do control Children's. It's more that giving up of the ongoing tax income that creates an issue. That said, you could pose the question that did cross my mind just now: is that vicinity really underserved for pediatric services, or is it just underserved by UPMC-controlled services a la Monroeville?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
That said, you could pose the question that did cross my mind just now: is that vicinity really underserved for pediatric services, or is it just underserved by UPMC-controlled services a la Monroeville?
That's a good question that hopefully BurghGirl17 can answer for us.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
A question to those selecting the shopping center proposal over the children's hospital proposal: "If the developer was NOT UPMC would this sway your vote at all?" Just curious to see if people really would rather shopping over a hospital in general terms or if this is just UPMC-related backlash in particular. I have my own personal reasons for not being UPMC's largest fan, especially because they wouldn't hire me when PNC actually DID see great value within me; however, that gripe of mine still wouldn't dissuade me from thinking a children's hospital would be beneficial in the lower South Hills.
If it was a different hospital, I would choose that. I just feel UPMC is a total rip off and a scam company. Actually, I don't think it. If they can charge $4000 for an MRI and I got it done on the same machine for $350, that should really be considered theft, but there are no laws against a company that is totally ripping off the public that I am aware.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:29 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Medical Center. They'll be lucky if they find retail/restaurant tenants to fill Newbury Market.
The only portion of your post I disagree with is the restaurants- I think we're fairly underserved in the SF area. My wish list includes some fast-food type places (Chick Fil A, Boston Market, Qdoba) and some family sit-down style restaurants. Going to Robinson is a pain in the butt any more with the traffic, Washington is quite a haul, and the Bethel Park/SHV area doesn't offer too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
No offense, but the last time I was in Downtown Bridgeville it felt more depressing than anything else.
I would tend to disagree. I think downtown Bridgeville is pretty decent. There are some great places - Sauce, Armstrong's Express, Burghs (I do not like this place but many do) - and a lot of small businesses - spas/salons, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
is that vicinity really underserved for pediatric services, or is it just underserved by UPMC-controlled services a la Monroeville?
Luckily my family hasn't been in the need of anything other than run of the mill pediatric check ups, so it is hard for me to say. The pediatric practice we use is close by in Heidelberg. However, I am not familiar enough with the need for pediatric services or the kinds of services that this would provide to give too much of an opinion. Perhaps UPMC would seek to draw in patients from the nearby Washington County areas (Cecil, Southpointe, etc.) - that population could be arguably underserved? The convenience of the location (immediately off of 79) is a strong point for any development.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:57 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
The only portion of your post I disagree with is the restaurants- I think we're fairly underserved in the SF area. My wish list includes some fast-food type places (Chick Fil A, Boston Market, Qdoba) and some family sit-down style restaurants. Going to Robinson is a pain in the butt any more with the traffic, Washington is quite a haul, and the Bethel Park/SHV area doesn't offer too much.
Oh, I agree. Aside from Robinson, the entire Pittsburgh area is under-served when it comes to national chains. South Fayette is definitely in need of something...ANYTHING. Newbury is trying to take on a more "downtown/community" type of feel from what I understand (from reading their website). The drawings remind me of the Waterfront or South Side Works. I'm interested to see what tenants they are able to get. Hopefully, some different places that aren't in every single shopping center in Pittsburgh, but some places that appeal to families and residents in South Fayette and the Newbury plan.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:30 AM

165 posts, read 262,400 times
I'd like to know a little more detail about the proposed medical center. There is already a UPMC facility (including children's services) ten minutes up the street near South Hills Village. It's more of an out-patient facility so unless they're planning on putting a full-blown hospital in SF I don't really see the point.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:45 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
The fact that this discussion is even taking place shows how misplaced peoples priorities are. Hmm, a Hospital for children that would bring in high paying jobs, or another Bed, Bath, and Beyond employing minimum wage drones? Wow, that is a tough choice.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
or another Bed, Bath, and Beyond employing minimum wage drones?
Hey now! The people of South Fayette Township need their loofahs too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh