U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which Bid Should Be Chosen?
BID #1: Shopping Center 6 37.50%
BID #2: Medical Center 10 62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 02-16-2012, 11:55 AM
 
Location: O'Hara Twp.
3,387 posts, read 3,126,590 times
Reputation: 1057

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
The fact that this discussion is even taking place shows how misplaced peoples priorities are. Hmm, a Hospital for children that would bring in high paying jobs, or another Bed, Bath, and Beyond employing minimum wage drones? Wow, that is a tough choice.
I am not sure that this facility would create many new jobs. I would bet that the doctors that staff the facility probably already are employed by UPMC. For example, my son has surgery at their Wexford location and it was done by a doctor who works elsewhere part of the time.

People are aware of the fact that UPMC doesn't pay property taxes like the shopping center. This makes it difficult for people to support the facility. Maybe if there was a South Fayette promise the community would support the UPMC facility.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2012, 12:01 PM
 
860 posts, read 1,396,245 times
Reputation: 237
FYI I didn't see if anyone mentioned this, but UPMC offered to contribute $100,000 toward the renovation of Star City into a brand new community center for South Fayette.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 12:02 PM
 
2,538 posts, read 1,978,319 times
Reputation: 3217
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I am not sure that this facility would create many new jobs. I would bet that the doctors that staff the facility probably already are employed by UPMC. For example, my son has surgery at their Wexford location and it was done by a doctor who works elsewhere part of the time.

People are aware of the fact that UPMC doesn't pay property taxes like the shopping center. This makes it difficult for people to support the facility. Maybe if there was a South Fayette promise the community would support the UPMC facility.
I do agree on the tax issue. UPMC and Highmark's non-profit status is a joke. They both have dozens of for-profit entities that operate within their overall corporate structure. If these subsidiaries are using the same buildings then the buildings should not get an exemption.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
26,555 posts, read 47,267,732 times
Reputation: 11434
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
FYI I didn't see if anyone mentioned this, but UPMC offered to contribute $100,000 toward the renovation of Star City into a brand new community center for South Fayette.
I mentioned this in the original message. With that being said I never really considered the tax revenue side of this equation. That $100,000 is likely UPMC's one-time "payment in lieu of taxes" (PILOT) to South Fayette Township (SFT), as the parcel would then become tax-exempt under their ownership whereas the shopping center would generate a guaranteed annual revenue stream for SFT.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Wilkinsburg
1,661 posts, read 1,332,101 times
Reputation: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
The fact that this discussion is even taking place shows how misplaced peoples priorities are. Hmm, a Hospital for children that would bring in high paying jobs, or another Bed, Bath, and Beyond employing minimum wage drones? Wow, that is a tough choice.
I don't think it makes sense to frame the issue in that way. Generally lack of medical facilities is not a major barrier to accessing healthcare. Most people that are not receiving healthcare are in such a situation because of the cost, not because the hospital is too far away. So adding another facility will likely increase neither the number of people that are able to receive healthcare nor the number of people providing healthcare.

There are obviously economic trade-offs between the two proposals, but I think one would really need to do a rather thorough study to determine which of the options is more desirable for SFT.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 12:09 PM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
11,669 posts, read 8,009,293 times
Reputation: 4246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
The fact that this discussion is even taking place shows how misplaced peoples priorities are. Hmm, a Hospital for children that would bring in high paying jobs, or another Bed, Bath, and Beyond employing minimum wage drones? Wow, that is a tough choice.
1. My experience with UPMC was more than horrible! Like I have stated for me to get an MRI done at the UPMC down the street was about $4000! Got it done from another place for $350!

That being said, how can you say my priorities are misplaced? I don't like crooks and if there is that big of a difference in billing UPMC is not an asset to any area. Just because they are almost the only game in town, doesn't mean I want to support them. They should be charged in criminal court for price gouging, (if only there was a law for it) and certainly NOT looked highly upon!

Last edited by gg; 02-16-2012 at 01:33 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 PM
 
Location: ELFS
5,037 posts, read 3,395,031 times
Reputation: 4362
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Like I have stated for me to get an MRI done at the UPMC down the street was about $4000! Got it done from another place for $350!
Where did you get the $350 one done?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
26,555 posts, read 47,267,732 times
Reputation: 11434
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Where did you get the $350 one done?
Taco Bell?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 12:20 PM
 
2,538 posts, read 1,978,319 times
Reputation: 3217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
I don't think it makes sense to frame the issue in that way. Generally lack of medical facilities is not a major barrier to accessing healthcare. Most people that are not receiving healthcare are in such a situation because of the cost, not because the hospital is too far away. So adding another facility will likely increase neither the number of people that are able to receive healthcare nor the number of people providing healthcare.

There are obviously economic trade-offs between the two proposals, but I think one would really need to do a rather thorough study to determine which of the options is more desirable for SFT.
I'm looking at it more from an employment aspect more than service provided. A hospital will bring better jobs to the area, at least if it is a real hospital and not just some outpatient facility. If you entice doctors and nurses to live in the township then that will provide more positive economic impact. Retail jobs bring nothing to the table. Yes, the taxes on a retail space might be nice, but the jobs themselves are worthless. Plus, I think there is an overabundance of retail in the area as it is. Look at the plaza at the intersection of Route 50 and Toms Run road. It is 2/3's empty. Building a new strip mall is not going to improve the area. If anything it will simply make that intersection at I79 and Route 50 even more congested.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 12:22 PM
 
Location: O'Hara Twp.
3,387 posts, read 3,126,590 times
Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I do agree on the tax issue. UPMC and Highmark's non-profit status is a joke. They both have dozens of for-profit entities that operate within their overall corporate structure. If these subsidiaries are using the same buildings then the buildings should not get an exemption.

Just quickly doing the math. A shopping center valued at 8.6 million (1.6 for the land and 7.0 for the building) would pay about 312,000 a year in taxes to the municipality, the school district and to the county using the millage rates for South Fayette. That one time payment of 100,000 is a joke. Maybe an ongoing payment of 100,000 would make it more attractive.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top