Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:04 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It is all about design for me. Those ridiculous cobra lights originally designed for highways scream "it is hazardous to be on these streets!" But old-style sidewalk lamps are useful.
Western Ave. in Allegheny West is an excellent example of street lights (and parking meters) done right.

Really, I think that many neighborhoods in Pittsburgh do need some sort of lighting at night. I can't imagine walking down some of our narrow streets, lined with 3 story row homes right on top of the sidewalk, without some sort of lighting. The natural light from the moon wouldn't be as effective in Pittsburgh as it would be in other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
I'm a city girl and much prefer walking on streets that are well lit - and prefer that the drivers speeding past me have light too.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:50 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
I hate street lights. Thanks goodness I live in the borough and we don't have those silly things. Our area is not into those obtrusive lights. Those thing are for crime type areas. We like gentle lighting from residence homes.

Last edited by gg; 02-16-2012 at 07:05 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 06:52 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
I never heard of light pollution, but street lights are a necessity. Especially f you are walking at night. I'd rather be able to see.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:54 AM

675 posts, read 2,097,481 times
I definitely see a need for street lights in business districts, large highways (especially when there are interchanges involved), and urban areas. For those places, there's no way around it, you need street lights.

I'm more referring to peaceful suburban neighborhoods. When I take walks in Virginia Manor at night, it never ceases to amaze me that the people who are spending a million dollars on a historic mansion would tolerate having an industrial, back-alley-style sodium lamp right in front of their house. There's really no need what-so-ever for this type of industrial lighting, let alone any lighting at all.

I do admit, though, that I grew up in a nicer suburban neighborhood that had buried power lines and no street lamps. I used to love walking the family dog at night, it was so peaceful.

Fast forward to me being an adult, and I now have a hatred for above ground power lines and street lamps in neighborhoods. Go figure.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:54 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I never heard of light pollution
I hadn't either, but it describes pretty well the way my eyes react to those really bright headlights on some cars (LED?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
I now have a hatred for above ground power lines and street lamps in neighborhoods. Go figure.
I hate above-ground power lines, too. I don't really think about street lights very much. I wouldn't mind if they were some other color than orange, though.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:02 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
My brain has gotten so used to seeing a plethora of above ground power lines that I pretty much don't acknowledge them. It's when I visit a place where they're all underground I start to notice the lack of them. It's so weird.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:09 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
My brain has gotten so used to seeing a plethora of above ground power lines that I pretty much don't acknowledge them. It's when I visit a place where they're all underground I start to notice the lack of them. It's so weird.
LOL same here! Plus, I grew up in what's usually considered to be a 'very nice' small town around here that had (and still has) street lamps (and side walks) - so it's the norm for me whether I'm in the city or in a smaller neighborhood. Even in my travels here and abroad, unless you get really rural, most densely inhabited areas tend to have street lights.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I never heard of light pollution, but street lights are a necessity. Especially f you are walking at night. I'd rather be able to see.
Um a flashlight? Goodness. Considering how few people actually walk, street lights are such a waste of electricity.

Another huge disadvantage of all the dumb street lights, you can't enjoy the stars. You have to drive out of the area to really enjoy the Milky Way and the wonderful stars. Of course people need to see and why would anyone want to carry a flashlight? I mean with the LED ones they have now that last months and months with no battery change and rechargeable batteries. Ah well, I am glad we don't have them where I live. People just have gentle lighting around their homes if they want it and most turn them off late at night when sleeping.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:22 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,224,958 times
I'm with Curtis. Street lights are intrusive and there is enough light pollution as it is.

There aren't any on our street, but Pioneer is lined with them. I just don't see the point for them in most residential areas...they were probably installed during some harebrained renewal project in the '60s.

People need to drive slower, especially at night, when there are more animals crossing the street, and it's harder to see while driving in general...because it's night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh