U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-17-2012, 04:23 PM

9,674 posts, read 8,559,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
I am proud of the contributions that Pittsburgh has made to the art world. Specifically the music and dance that came out of the Hill, Homewood, and East Liberty from 30's to the 70's. This would include black arts movement and the black is beautiful movements of the 60-70's as well. Harlem had the Harlem Renaissance, but Pittsburgh had one as well and contributed to the national black cultural movement of the time. The first Negro Opera Company was started in Homewood and the historic mansion still exists today. we also had musical legends young and old. From George Benson to Phyliss Hyman (my favorite) and Roy Eldridge.
Yep, Pittsburgh was a jazz city back in the day. Even Lena Horne lived in Pittsburgh on and off.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 12:51 AM

8,814 posts, read 3,973,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'll concur that the obsession here with the Steelers is extremely off-putting. An NFL franchise's daily dealings should never be "Breaking News" or the "Top Story" on the 6 PM news of every major network's local newscast in a major metroplitan area like ours. Even now that football season is over I still can't go anywhere without people yammering on about the Steelers. We have a baseball team, too, people, and they are gearing up to start their season in about six weeks. Our MLB franchise happens to have one of the nation's nicest ballparks, too, with very reasonably-priced tickets that make it a great outing for a young family to enjoy.

We all lika da baseball........ BE PROUD PGH!!!.......
Attached Thumbnails
Reasons To Be Proud Your From Pittsburgh-1329366094266.jpg  

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 01:18 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 12:59 AM

8,814 posts, read 3,973,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i like how the first response is about pittsburghers being friendly and the next 2 responses are sarcastic/rude.
Fear not good fellow, I'm sure the posts you were referring to do not reflect upon the attitudes of PGH's, just the quality of the posts from those who posted them. Ignore grammar nazi's, it's the best thing to do.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:01 AM

2,145 posts, read 2,031,897 times
Quote:
Ignore grammar nazi's, it's the best thing to do.
The apostrophe is supposed to be used to indicate the posessive form, not the plural.

(See, now that the grammar nazi thing is on the table, it can be made into a joke, which is friendly, not rude. Cause, like, I'm from Pittsburgh, and we're friendly... )

Old 02-18-2012, 07:16 AM
gg

11,529 posts, read 7,759,107 times
1. A friendly town feel.
2. They seem to vote well most of the time in elections.
3. We pull together.
4. We usually back to the police, because we don't take kindly to law breakers.
5. The people are generally tolerant to all kinds.
6. Other than the Nouveaus in the North Hills, we aren't overly flashy and don't show off.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:47 AM

69,637 posts, read 59,609,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
That's of course true, a lot of Pittsburgh people use the term "the burgh".

But its a relatively new nickname, really originating in an Iron City Beer ad campaign of the 90's.

Never heard it as a kid.
Nor did I, back in the 50s/60s.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:12 AM

3,802 posts, read 1,204,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Fear not good fellow, I'm sure the posts you were referring to do not reflect upon the attitudes of PGH's, just the quality of the posts from those who posted them. Ignore grammar nazi's, it's the best thing to do.
So when you insult me that`s a quality post? I simply said we don`t call this city the Burgh.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:22 PM

1,716 posts, read 968,487 times
I'm actually considering Pittsburgh for my retirement.

I think the residents should be proud of the city's successful transformation from a heavy industrial center, to a more service-oriented economy. Pittsburgh also rates highly in its cultural offerings, considering its size.

It even gave birth to two of my favorite cultural icons: Mr. Rogers and Mr. Yuk!

Last edited by rogead; 02-18-2012 at 06:32 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,918,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'll concur that the obsession here with the Steelers is extremely off-putting. An NFL franchise's daily dealings should never be "Breaking News" or the "Top Story" on the 6 PM news of every major network's local newscast in a major metroplitan area like ours. Even now that football season is over I still can't go anywhere without people yammering on about the Steelers. We have a baseball team, too, people, and they are gearing up to start their season in about six weeks. Our MLB franchise happens to have one of the nation's nicest ballparks, too, with very reasonably-priced tickets that make it a great outing for a young family to enjoy.

I, too, like the recreational opportunities available here; however, I don't necessarily think they're superior to what I've enjoyed in other areas in which I've resided. I will admit that I've encountered more cyclists here than anywhere else (granted, I've never been to Portland, OR as a point of reference), but I still wouldn't say there's a good cycling "culture" here, either. BikePGH is a great organization working to improve awareness and visibility of cyclists in our area, but with that being said I've seen far too many people narrowly avoid clipping cyclists along with some yinzers even honking at them because, apparently, they are still ignorant of the fact that STATE LAW mandates motor vehicles share the roadway with cyclists.

One of the best and most succinct reasons to love this place I've ever come across on this sub-forum. Bravo! Pittsburgh is a much less transient place than the nearby BosWash/I-95 Corridor, and for that I'm grateful. People feel more "rooted" here, and people seem to be more loyal towards one another and towards their city. Where I lived in Northern Virginia it felt like a constant revolving door. Neighbors I'd work so hard to befriend would just up and move while I was working without saying good-bye. Friends I'd work so hard to befriend would shift their allegiance elsewhere at the drop of a hat if they foresaw such a decision to benefit their career or status somehow. All of the NoVA-boosters I know are homeowners who live in places where people around them are indeed more likely to be "rooted" (but even then I'm sure most of their neighbors want to flee when they retire to someplace less congested, less expensive, etc.). Here in Pittsburgh I've met so many people who live in the same home that their parents (or even grandparents) grew up in, including my landlady. I walked up the block the other day and into my neighborhood association's office to place a paczki order, and I was greeted on a first-name basis. I ended up chit-chatting for well over an hour about the neighborhood's future without even realizing it.

Pittsburgh is a city of 305,000 that is subdivided into dozens of neighborhoods that range in atmosphere from village (i.e. Bon Air, Westwood, Hays, Polish Hill) to a large town (i.e. Squirrel Hill, Brookline, Central North Side). I love this place for that reason because you can live in any sort of surroundings you'd like.

This might be the one facet I disagree with. To me a "day-trip" is within a 2-3-hour driving radius, as anything more than that would take too long to drive back-and-forth for you to really enjoy your time at the destination youi chose. So far we've taken a day-trip to Youngstown and really liked it. Not sure how many other places within that radius fit our criteria, though, for day-tripping---Fallingwater/Laurel Highlands, Morgantown, Cleveland, Erie, Wheeling. That's about it, really. If you want to go to Cincinnati, DC, Philadelphia, Niagara Falls, etc. you really need to spend at least one night (and probably two) to feel as if the back-and-forth 4-6-hour drive was worth it. Our relative isolation has indeed kept our cost-of-living affordable for the middle-class; however, I will always miss living in NEPA and being just a two-hour drive from NYC and Philly, three hours from Baltimore, Hartford, Syracuse, the Finger Lakes, etc., four hours from DC, Ocean City, MD, Providence, and, yes, Pittsburgh. In NoVA I could take a day-trip to explore the Eastern Panhandle of WV, Winchester, Luray Caverns, Sharpsburg/Antietam, MD, Baltimore, Point Lookout, MD, Charlottesville, VA, Richmond, VA, DC, Gettysburg, etc.

I'm still praying Coldplay will decide to come here next year. Their closest tour dates this year are DC, Detroit, NYC, and Philly.

I'm inclined to disagree. Granted I'm a transplant, but I call Pittsburgh "Da 'Burgh" (as if to say "Da Bears" in Chicago) all the time, and I know others who also call it as such.
I think you have to be part of the cycling community to really get a sense of how strong the culture is here. And it's as much, if not more about off road cycling (mountain biking) then it is road biking. There are two internationally published cycling magazines headquartered here (Dirt Rag and Bicycle Times) and Pittsburgh gets recognized on a regular basis for the great urban mountain biking opportunities along with it's proximity to other larger ride areas in our region.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:05 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,405,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

We all lika da baseball........ BE PROUD PGH!!!.......
That young lady is extremely hot. I hope I do not offend. Her face looks very young but her body is more mature. I hope she is as old as I think (18-20) Otherwise, I would like a creep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh