Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 03:26 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I have to say that coming from Los Angeles, my perception of "traffic" and yours may be vastly different. It may not, however, as I am used to 8 lanes of shiny freeways, as opposed to 2 laners.
You'll laugh at what Pittsburgher's call rush-hour (even though to us it sometimes seems like the end of the world).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 07:43 PM

104 posts, read 353,522 times
Default Don't discount the traffic

Hi--

We moved here recently after living in Los Angeles for 15 years. We scoffed at the idea of traffic as well. The city is so much smaller that we kept getting everywhere early!

But now that we've started working and taking the kids to school, I'd have to say, there is traffic. The highways have semi-predictable "rush hours" but the smaller streets get very congested. We found there is a lot of construction and random "detours" that take hours to get around.

I've found that the street lights take a long time and most of them in the city are "no turn on reds".

We really like it here, but don't laugh off the traffic. It's real!

Old 09-09-2007, 01:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhprentiss View Post
But now that we've started working and taking the kids to school, I'd have to say, there is traffic. The highways have semi-predictable "rush hours" but the smaller streets get very congested......We really like it here, but don't laugh off the traffic. It's real!
That's because you moved to Mt. Lebanon. If anyone reads my posts, I always warn people about how congested the traffic is in the South Hills. The North Hills is much more spread out and less congested. I know you wanted Mt. Lebanon because it has a great school district, but there are other school districts in the metropolitian area that have less traffic congestion and easier commutes into Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhprentiss View Post
We found there is a lot of construction and random "detours" that take hours to get around.
After you lived here for a while, you'll learn the short cuts around the detours.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:36 PM

48 posts, read 137,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFam91604 View Post
I have to say that coming from Los Angeles, my perception of "traffic" and yours may be vastly different. It may not, however, as I am used to 8 lanes of shiny freeways, as opposed to 2 laners.
Hello,
I live in SoCal and am considering moving to Pittsburgh as well.I visited Pittsburgh in May and would have to say traffic is pretty bad.But the positives were much greater then the few negatives!Good Luck!

Old 09-11-2007, 05:03 PM

176 posts, read 767,229 times
Traffic isn't that bad in Pittsburgh-- at least in comparison to larger cities....

For example, I had to be Downtown for a meeting at 9am just yesterday...So I left my house in Mt. Lebo at 7:45 am...Heart of Rush Hour...

My parking garage ticket sitting in front of me says 8:22 am...37 minutes...And that was going through the Ft. Pitt Tunnel from The 2nd most congested area of the Burgh...THE SOUTH HILLS...

Normally takes 45 to 60 minutes in rush hour....Which is extremely light to any traffic you would ever see in LA or SD....

Old 09-11-2007, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,023 times
Default A Hollywood Hills Girl back in the 'burgh

Hi, I attended Carnegie Mellon and lived in Pgh., for 12 years. Moved to Boston, Dallas and LA...now back in Pgh. indefinitely caring for a family member. She happens to live in Allison Park (N. Hills) and my Pittsburgh friends all live in either Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Oakland, Mt. Washington. I drive into town at least 1x a day down Rt. 8 and it takes me 20-25 minutes to make it into any of these neighborhoods. And there is no traffic. The drivers here are not the greatest, but coming from the professional driving school of LA, it is very manageable and easy to drive.

Coming from LA, I'm finding Pgh. wonderfully refreshing. Sure, there are change of seasons and cloudy days, but after SoCal, they are actually refreshing and enjoyable...and the rain is fascinating! Customer service actually exists here (The young man at T-mobile spent 30 minutes helping me the other day). Everything is very affordable (real estate taxes are high). And the culture of the city is abundant and accessible. I'm actually thinking about moving back here.

Good luck and go for it!

Old 09-11-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Actual weather

I never did understand why people think LA weather is so great. Sure, it's 80 degrees and sunny much of the year... but other than that it was either on fire, or the earth was shaking, or it was raining for three weeks straight and everything was sliding down the hills...

Hopes, I'm not in Mt Lebanon yet, still living in temporary housing in Penn Hills. So I hit traffic if I need to go ANYWHERE.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:39 PM

83 posts, read 248,614 times
Seems it never rains in southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It never rains in California, but girl don't they warn ya
It pours, man it pours

Out of work, I'm out of my head
Out of self respect, I'm out of bread
I'm underloved, I'm underfed, I wanna go home
It never rains in California, but girl don't they warn ya
It pours, man it pours

Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 PM

43 posts, read 133,577 times
[quote=jhprentiss;1477739]I never did understand why people think LA weather is so great. Sure, it's 80 degrees and sunny much of the year... but other than that it was either on fire, or the earth was shaking, or it was raining for three weeks straight and everything was sliding down the hills...QUOTE]

That made me laugh.

I thought you were going to say "Sure, it's 80 degrees and sunny much of the year but on the other hand it's 80 degrees and sunny much of the year"... cause, I wouldn't want that, either.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:46 PM

I know what you mean beemajabee, the weather got really old after a while. And I was in the horse training business, so I needed good weather to make money!

I think it was because I was raised in Virginia, where things are green and muggy, so the desert never did anything for me. And I couldn't afford a lawn in LA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh