Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 10:27 AM

461 posts, read 748,824 times

Advertisements

So, let's see: Pittsburgh is a great place to work, a lousy place to work, blah blah blah. For the folks who are not happy here: either move or be a positive force for change. For the folks who are happy here, I'm with you and let's continue to keep things upbeat and going in a good direction.

We have it pretty good in Pittsburgh; I'm in Philly for a few days and there are roads that have not been cleared of snow or ice for two weeks; garbage isn't consistently picked up; two women have been murdered for their handbags in the last few weeks, on top of the usual other 29 murders thus far this year. Despite that, Philly is a great city as well if you have a decent attitude.

But it is almost Valentine's Day, so let's talk romance. I adore the funiculars, Phipps, the Aviary, and of course Mt Washington. And anywhere on the river seems romantic to me as well, but I have special place on Herr's Island that I love.

10 Unexpectedly Romantic Cities - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 10:44 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
I adore clickbait articles like this that state the same thing about the city that they read from some Wikitravel page. I would like to present my own personal list of the most romantic parts of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania:

- Stroll the beautiful Carson Street in Pittsburgh's historic South Side on a Saturday night. Your date will be overwhelmed with joy as bro's pick fights with you and police fire shots at your vehicle.

- Take a scenic drive in Pittsburgh's wonderful Route 51 road. Your sweetie will glisten with joy as she views the bombed out buildings and will compliment you on your driving prowess as you weave past potholes at 25 miles per hour over the speed limit.

- Walk through the beautiful and well kept streets of Pittsburgh's own Little Italy: Bloomfield. Your date will thoroughly enjoy the authentic Italian cuisine at Del's and will be delighted as hipsters call both of you "sh*tlords" on Tumblr without you ever knowing.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:58 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I adore clickbait articles like this that state the same thing about the city that they read from some Wikitravel page. I would like to present my own personal list of the most romantic parts of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania:

- Stroll the beautiful Carson Street in Pittsburgh's historic South Side on a Saturday night. Your date will be overwhelmed with joy as bro's pick fights with you and police fire shots at your vehicle.

- Take a scenic drive in Pittsburgh's wonderful Route 51 road. Your sweetie will glisten with joy as she views the bombed out buildings and will compliment you on your driving prowess as you weave past potholes at 25 miles per hour over the speed limit.

- Walk through the beautiful and well kept streets of Pittsburgh's own Little Italy: Bloomfield. Your date will thoroughly enjoy the authentic Italian cuisine at Del's and will be delighted as hipsters call both of you "sh*tlords" on Tumblr without you ever knowing.
Look at the bright side. I've lived/worked in NYC/Boston/DC as well as smaller cities like Bridgeport & Stamford. And for a northeastern urban area, there are remarkably few well-travelled/touristy areas that smell like urine.

And other than Boston's North End, I challenge you to find a "Little Italy" in a major city that actually has decent Italian food. Del's sucks, but guess what, so does pretty much every single Italian eatery left in NYC's "Little Italy".

And why don't hipsters like you? You must drink the wrong kind of coffee. Hipsters love me :-)

Old 02-11-2014, 11:02 AM

461 posts, read 748,824 times
AQC, yep, these silly lists are nothing but clickbait - that was my point, that they really don't do much but offer some fodder to cement one's point of view, good or bad.

You and I must live on parallel versions of Pittsburgh; I don't believe that police shootings on Carson Street happen frequently (not my cuppa tea, so I am not there often; I'll defer to your knowledge on that). And as for what silly people say on Tumbler, I couldn't give a rat's a@@.

But really - I'd love to hear of more romantic places from people without some strange ax to grind.

e

Quote:

Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Don't read too deep into my post. As with many of my posts, I'm trying to squeeze a giggle or a smile out of myself and others when examining the absurdity of all sorts of different things in this experience we all call life.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:16 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
But really - I'd love to hear of more romantic places from people without some strange ax to grind.
Gotta say I've never really thought of Pittsburgh as "romantic". But, to your list I'd add free summer concerts in South Park or Hartwood Acres - bottle of wine and a blanket stuff. And sitting with a cappucino in Market Square early in the morning has a bit of Euro romance.

One thing that would make Pittsburgh more romantic would be if there were actually small riverside cafes to stop at along either side of the Allegheny. It's a nice walk, but all it is is a walk. You can't make a morning or a day out of it.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:18 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Route 51 sucks... but I have no reason to ever visit that part of the county. Might as well be Pyongyang.

And Little Italy neighborhoods across the U.S. are usually home to the worst Italian restaurants. It's a generational thing.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:24 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
In today's Post-Gazette: Our favorite places to pop the question around Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

And yes, Del's sucks.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:27 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,039 times
Quote:
Don't read too deep into my post. As with many of my posts, I'm trying to squeeze a giggle or a smile out of myself and others when examining the absurdity of all sorts of different things in this experience we all call life.
I dug your list.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:16 PM

654 posts, read 945,148 times
Quote:

This is a bit hyperbolic, but admittedly, Carson St. isn't exactly the best place to bring your date or mate. The establishments there (i.e., bars) seem like places where one would pick up, not bring to.

And I also must acknowledge the hipsters in Bloomfield. There's no question, these people are incredibly annoying, but the mere presence of hipster clones shouldn't keep a person out of a neighborhood--unless the place is completely overrun with them, which Bloomfield isn't.

Pittsburgh is, however, a romantic place. Consider a stroll through the historic Mexican War Streets, Allegheny West, or through Manchester to gaze upon the splendid architecture with your loved one. Such would be quite romantic.

Or a ride to Sewickley. Many beautiful homes and interesting sites make for a nice walk with your date. When you tire, there's Triangle Park, a beautiful bucolic place on the border with Edgeworth with a creek flowing through it. Sit on a bench there with your date, talk, and enjoy your time together. What could be more romantic than that?

Lastly, climb up Spring Hill (it's not as steep as you think) to the historic St. John's Lutheran Cemetery with your date. Take in the views, relax, and enjoy time well spent.

There you go; I just proved it to you. Pittsburgh is romantic.

Last edited by The King of Um; 02-11-2014 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh