Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:32 PM

14 posts, read 15,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
You can get a job with BNY Mellon. Check their website. After all they are moving all the jobs from NY to Pitts. Thanks to the crafty idea of Bob Kelly who just got axed. Check it out. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Thank you for the info Misty. Checking it out as i speak. I do not have any banking experience, but hey, customer service is customer service, right?. Thanks again. I'll do some research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 12:49 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
The "Greater Downtown" area (including the Golden Triangle plus adjacent area) contains a lot of hotels, including a lot of newer hotels. Another big cluster is out towards the airport, and a bunch are intermixed with the hospitals and universities in the East End, and some are out in Monroeville. But there are definitely hotels all over, and very few are in bad locations (we don't have many bad areas to begin with, and they don't tend to contain hotels). So personally, I'd cast a wide net.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:07 PM

80 posts, read 111,202 times
As for transit, if you'll be living in Crafton, you'll be set even if the cuts go through in September because you'll be right near the West Busway. Busways in Pittsburgh are roads exclusively for busses that carry several routes to avoid all of the horrendous traffic tie-ups. West Busway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'd definitely be able to get to Downtown, East End, etc. and for now the entire airport area (which, as someone said, has many hotels), but in September getting to the airport area might be a little more challenging -- you'll have to examine which routes are necessary for any particular job. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrun1126 View Post
As for transit, if you'll be living in Crafton, you'll be set even if the cuts go through in September because you'll be right near the West Busway. Busways in Pittsburgh are roads exclusively for busses that carry several routes to avoid all of the horrendous traffic tie-ups. West Busway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'd definitely be able to get to Downtown, East End, etc. and for now the entire airport area (which, as someone said, has many hotels), but in September getting to the airport area might be a little more challenging -- you'll have to examine which routes are necessary for any particular job. Good luck!
Awesome! Thank you so much for the info and well wishing. Yes, I'm hoping i wont have to rely on public trans for more than through the summer as i'm hoping to garner a vehicle at some point by then. Mostly just at the begining of the "game". But awesome info. I was wondering how they routed buses through traffic with so limited access to different areas like downtown with just those few bridges in and out. But it sounds like they have it pretty much figured out. But yes, thank you again.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Could you take your friend to work and have use of her car while you're job hunting? It would be much easier to go on interviews with a car, and not have to depend on public trans. which might get you there late, or with way too much time to spare.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Could you take your friend to work and have use of her car while you're job hunting? It would be much easier to go on interviews with a car, and not have to depend on public trans. which might get you there late, or with way too much time to spare.
Well yes and no. She is already doing so much for me I'd feel guilty asking and she hasnt offered. If she ends up offering then i would probably accept. But i figure riding the bus would more familiarize myself with the city anyways. I know Pittsburgh isnt exactly a grid of streets ( i've gotten lost in pittsburgh everytime ive been there lol) and at least this way some one else can drive while i get used to the major thoroughfares. And this is just for job hunting anyways. If it is imperitive that i need the car (if a potential job is wayyy off a bus route or for an interview) then ill probably ask. I was waiting for someone to ask that, lol. Im suprised it took so long.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocated82 View Post
Well yes and no. She is already doing so much for me I'd feel guilty asking and she hasnt offered. If she ends up offering then i would probably accept. But i figure riding the bus would more familiarize myself with the city anyways. I know Pittsburgh isnt exactly a grid of streets ( i've gotten lost in pittsburgh everytime ive been there lol) and at least this way some one else can drive while i get used to the major thoroughfares. And this is just for job hunting anyways. If it is imperitive that i need the car (if a potential job is wayyy off a bus route or for an interview) then ill probably ask. I was waiting for someone to ask that, lol. Im suprised it took so long.
Well, if you took her to work, picked her up, and put gas in her car, washed it, etc, you would be doing something for her, too. Either riding the bus or driving around will help you familiarize yourself with the city.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:46 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
You could do some of both.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, if you took her to work, picked her up, and put gas in her car, washed it, etc, you would be doing something for her, too. Either riding the bus or driving around will help you familiarize yourself with the city.
Oh I'm sure will be doing some of both, I'm not saying i'll never ask for the car. Just i know how stressful it can be to have a kid at day care and dropping them off and picking them up after work. I just don't want to be more of a burden than i already am. Let alone knowing some dude has your car in a city he barely knows. I know i would be apprehensive about it. And with gas prices the way they are i'd almost rather learn the bus system anyways. Even if i had my own car. So it's not really that big of a deal. Unless i need to get somewhere unaccessable by bus. Things should be fine. Ive been doing alot of research and it's actually put my mind at ease. Comparing the ads on craiglist with the bus routes. It shouldnt be that tough to work it out. I mean unless there is something i'm missing i guess. I shouldnt be without a car for more than 3 months tops anyways, so i can make this work in the meantime.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 AM

Most places you will be interviewing will likely be on bus routes, I agree. The child in day care adds a new dimension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh