Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 02:27 AM

19 posts, read 42,284 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate any help you offer.
I moved to Wilkinsburgh/Regent Square a bout a year and a half ago from the San Antonio area.
Among other reasons, I wanted to experience a more walkable lifestyle, and rely on public transportation so this was a good match.
My lease is up at the end of July, and I could use your help in finding neighborhoods to look at.
I've really enjoyed being close to Squirrel Hill, using the east busway to get to Shadyside and downtown quickly, and being able to walk to drug stores and the Food Coop, but I'm not finding many 2 or 3 single family homes to rent for under $1100 around here, and I'm ready to move on from apartment living.
Not to mention the fact that my place is already being shown to strange characters as their possible new home, while I'm still half way through my lease. I understand these property owners have to seize the opportunity to rent properties in advance, but this is foreign to my experience.
Any ideas of parts of town that might be equally walkable, liveable, and safe, but priced more in line with my budget, and that may not be in high demand for students, pushing up the rent?
Places I've considered include Bellevue, Friendship, but that might be more difficult, Mt Washington, but don't know about shopping and transportation there, Greenfield, and maybe Observatory Hill. As you see, a wide range, but I'm at a loss.

Thanks again, for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 08:23 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,875,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTouch View Post
I would appreciate any help you offer.
I moved to Wilkinsburgh/Regent Square a bout a year and a half ago from the San Antonio area.
Among other reasons, I wanted to experience a more walkable lifestyle, and rely on public transportation so this was a good match.
My lease is up at the end of July, and I could use your help in finding neighborhoods to look at.
I've really enjoyed being close to Squirrel Hill, using the east busway to get to Shadyside and downtown quickly, and being able to walk to drug stores and the Food Coop, but I'm not finding many 2 or 3 single family homes to rent for under $1100 around here, and I'm ready to move on from apartment living.
Not to mention the fact that my place is already being shown to strange characters as their possible new home, while I'm still half way through my lease. I understand these property owners have to seize the opportunity to rent properties in advance, but this is foreign to my experience.
Any ideas of parts of town that might be equally walkable, liveable, and safe, but priced more in line with my budget, and that may not be in high demand for students, pushing up the rent?
Places I've considered include Bellevue, Friendship, but that might be more difficult, Mt Washington, but don't know about shopping and transportation there, Greenfield, and maybe Observatory Hill. As you see, a wide range, but I'm at a loss.

Thanks again, for your help.
You have a good list already. Parts of Point Breeze could work as well. It is more quiet, but close to things.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:36 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,945,617 times
Finding SFH to rent at that price in those sorts of neighborhoods is getting harder and harder. But I agree you have a good list--personally, I'd also add Morningside.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the reply.
Any thoughts on Lawrenceville? I should have mentioned that I am blind so it isn't so easy to just look on Google maps or drive around and see the lay of the land.
I'm stuck relying on comments from friends, what I find on Craigslist, and all the great posts here.
By the way, when I say walkable, I don't mean to suggest high-priced restaurants, specialty stores, and antique shops like what you find in Regent Square. I'd go broke quickly if my walking distance eating options were Green mango, Square Cafe, and whatever other trendy new bistro just popped up. These places are nice, but ideally a drug store, grocery store, and maybe a dry cleaner, Subway or a coffee shop would be fine enough.
I was walking in Squirrel Hill early and felt how handy the neighborhood is, but just can't be afforded.

Again, thanks for your input.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:16 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,860,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTouch View Post
Any thoughts on Lawrenceville? I should have mentioned that I am blind so it isn't so easy to just look on Google maps or drive around and see the lay of the land.
Does it matter how hilly a neighborhood you live in? Anything between Penn Avenue and Butler Street is on a relatively steep hill for walking. North of Butler Street is mostly flat, but I don't know much else about it.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:29 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,231,166 times
L'ville is cool, the smaller, less expensive houses are north of Butler and in the 10th Ward.

The 10th Ward has the Shop n Save, there is of course the Rite Aid on the old Arsenal property, Subway and Wendys near the bridge as well, and several coffee joints.

PAT has direct service from Lawrenceville to town, Oakland, Aspinwall, East Liberty and Squirrel Hill.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:23 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,945,617 times
Bloomfield is one of our less expensive neighborhoods with a great variety of walkable amenities, despite still being in the student zone. You are probably talking a pretty modest place at your price point, but I would at least check it out.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:08 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,011,419 times
Here's a list of neighborhoods worth checking out, split up into categories based on area of town they are in:

Mt. Washington
Bellevue / West View / Brighton Heights / Observatory Hill (North)
Brentwood / Brookline / Overbrook / Dormont (South)
War Streets / Deutschtown / Allegheny West / Spring Hill / Troy Hill / Etna / Sharpsburg / Millvale
Crafton / Ingram / Windgap / Stowe Twp. (West)

Just my opinion, but anything on the east side of town is probably going to be in high demand for students, so it might be easier to find something in one of the areas above, which fly under the radar.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:07 AM

Thanks so much for the wonderful suggestions. A great list AA. Hilliness is no factor, and I don't mind a modest place in a decent area. There must always be tradeoffs in these situations.

I'll do my homework now with what you've given.

Again, thanks!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:58 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,875,925 times
I think Lawrenceville is overrated. There is one heck of a lot of crime there and really plenty of a bad element. I would rather live in Bloomfield or Morningside than Lawrenceville. I personally have had issues in Lawrenceville. Just an odd element there with plenty of fighting and stupid stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh