U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 AM

4,165 posts, read 5,254,832 times

Advertisements

On surrounding areas.

I'd like to get the opinion of people that have some idea about whether or not the recent economic growth and increase in new jobs is going to start filtering into outer suburban areas like the Kiski Valley, Mon Valley, Beaver Valley and beyond?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 AM

1,398 posts, read 862,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
On surrounding areas.

I'd like to get the opinion of people that have some idea about whether or not the recent economic growth and increase in new jobs is going to start filtering into outer suburban areas like the Kiski Valley, Mon Valley, Beaver Valley and beyond?

Beaver Valley not really, unless you are near an exit on I-376. But landing that Shell Cracker plant would be a real game changer in the area for sure.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,875,311 times
I think with the established communities (versus greenfield developments), it is mostly working from the core area outward, so it may take a while for the redevelopment wave to come to some of those farther-out older suburbs.

I do think it would help if we provided better transportation links (including rapid transit, but NOT including limited access highways) from the core area to those areas, so they could redevelop in part as "bedroom communities".

Old 02-29-2012, 10:12 AM

4,165 posts, read 5,254,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I think with the established communities (versus greenfield developments), it is mostly working from the core area outward, so it may take a while for the redevelopment wave to come to some of those farther-out older suburbs.

I do think it would help if we provided better transportation links (including rapid transit, but NOT including limited access highways) from the core area to those areas, so they could redevelop in part as "bedroom communities".
I would think that both mass transit and limited access highways would benefit these areas. Obviously with the cuts to the PAT recently, the region must find a way to come up with funding an improve mass transit system to serve the entire region. But raising taxes in this economy is not a wise idea and then the bonus falls upon the legislators to make painful cuts elsewhere to try to fund mass transit.

My guess is the best way to accomplish this is to cut business taxes and the corporate tax rate to attract new small and medium sized businesses to the region. By doing that they will increase the tax base and then have more money to spend on mass transit and roads.

I have the sneaking suspicion that if I want to move to the Pittsburgh area I will have to try to get a house in an outlying area because housing prices are shooting up and the sales market is brisk. So, I guess I am trying to gauge what kind of jobs might be available in a community 20 to 35 miles outside of the city in counties adjacent to Allegheny and also what kind of commute I'd face if I have to travel to find work.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:28 AM

9,741 posts, read 8,764,532 times
Pittsburgh's economy is growing from the inside out. Most of the good news in the area has been in Allegheny County. This is part of why it wouldn't surprise me if Pittsburgh and Allegheny County grow by 2020 while the MSA overall shrinks a little bit more.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I would think that both mass transit and limited access highways would benefit these areas.
Limited access highways almost always benefit greenfield development while undermining existing communities. If you want road projects that will actually benefit existing communities, you are better off with things like multi-lane boulevard projects. And you can do a lot more miles of those for every mile of limited access highway.

Quote:
My guess is the best way to accomplish this is to cut business taxes and the corporate tax rate to attract new small and medium sized businesses to the region. By doing that they will increase the tax base and then have more money to spend on mass transit and roads.
That is far more likely to just be a net loss from a revenue perspective. Local taxes are just too far down the list of criteria when it comes to business location decisions, so you end up mostly just giving tax cuts to businesses that would be there anyway, and not attracting much more in the way of additional businesses.

The fact is that through a combination of fixing fuel taxes and fees in nominal terms, increasing fuel efficiency, and so on, we've actually been providing transportation users with a steady stream of tax cuts in real terms, and those tax cuts are starving our transportation funds such that they can't even keep up with maintaining the existing systems, let alone upgrade and expand those systems to keep pace with population and economic growth.

Meanwhile, in our area in particular, the state and the feds are collecting a lot of transportation revenues which they then transfer for use in rural areas. And the money we do get back from the state and the feds is often allocated for political reasons and not to our highest-priority projects.

Collectively those are the reasons we never seem to have enough money available around here to do the projects and provide the services we actually need, and cutting business taxes won't remedy those problems. Instead we need an overhaul of the entire system of transportation funding at all levels to make sure funding is actually keeping pace with inflation and the needs of growing populations/economies, and also to make sure more funding is going to where it is actually going to do the most good.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Pittsburgh's economy is growing from the inside out. Most of the good news in the area has been in Allegheny County. This is part of why it wouldn't surprise me if Pittsburgh and Allegheny County grow by 2020 while the MSA overall shrinks a little bit more.
To be fair there is also greenfield growth in some of the other counties. The problem is that doesn't do much for existing communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh