Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yeah, Sharpsburg is somewhat rundown, but it is also very well-located. I'm not insisting it is better than other suggestions, but I think it is a tradeoff the OP can consider.
I understand. But she said it didn't need to be 5 minutes away. It doesn't need to be that well-located. Because of that, my guess is she would rather be in a more desirable area than Sharpsburg than being that conveniently located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:50 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Sharpsburg is rougher than you realize. I had a client who liked heroin and alcohol an awfu lot and he used to hang out at one of the bars in Sharpsburg.

I would probably look someplace a little quiter, a little further from downtown, maybe Cheswick.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:55 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It doesn't need to be that well-located.
You may not "need" something but would still consider it desirable if it was attainable.

Quote:
Because of that, my guess is she would rather be in a more desirable area than Sharpsburg than being that conveniently located.
Rather than guess, we could just explain the various options to the OP and let her decide.

I might note only one of us here is trying to shout down the other person's suggestions--I don't have any problem with you suggesting alternatives.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:10 PM

675 posts, read 2,089,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
You may not "need" something but would still consider it desirable if it was attainable.

Rather than guess, we could just explain the various options to the OP and let her decide.

I might note only one of us here is trying to shout down the other person's suggestions--I don't have any problem with you suggesting alternatives.
I have to agree that Sharpsburg should be on the table. We're not attempting to decide for her, just present options, and I think based on the criteria given it shouldn't be eliminated, based solely on the exceptional school district that it affords you.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Sharpsburg is rougher than you realize. I had a client who liked heroin and alcohol an awfu lot and he used to hang out at one of the bars in Sharpsburg.
Exactly. We know the area better than others since we're from the Fox area.

LOTS of heroin in Sharpsburg. Drugs are everywhere but Sharpsburg is really bad.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
I have to agree that Sharpsburg should be on the table. We're not attempting to decide for her, just present options, and I think based on the criteria given it shouldn't be eliminated, based solely on the exceptional school district that it affords you.
She should be informed of exactly what Sharpsburg entails then. Very few people would actively seek out raising their teenagers in Sharpsburg just for the school district, especially when there are many quality school districts with affordable housing for the OP.

The OP likes to take walks at 3am. Sharpsburg police don't think it's safe enough for that. Safe during the day, sure. Safe at night, nope. Not Sharpsburg. The crime statistics might not be that bad, but that's because people who would report crimes know to stay inside late at night. It's not a "you'll get shot and rapped" type of place, but it's definitely a "you'll get mugged and assulted" type of place at night.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:53 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,443,200 times
Sharpsburg has really started to get ugly. Talk a walk down the main street, meth heads galore.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:35 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times
I don't want to get into a big war over Sharpsburg, so I will mostly just suggest the OP do some due diligence on her own before making up her mind.

I will note, though, there are in fact families in Sharpsburg, there are in fact college students and college graduates in Sharpsburg, and its crime statistics are in fact considerably better than th U.S. average. I'd also note I think people don't pay enough attention to the risks posed by car accidents--particularly to teenagers, for whom that is the leading cause of death and serious injury--and that Sharpsburg has favorable statistics in that area as well. All this information is available from our hosts here:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Sharps...nsylvania.html

Old 02-29-2012, 04:47 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,443,200 times
Statistics be damned, take a drive out there and walk the streets.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Statistics be damned, take a drive out there and walk the streets.
I was thinking the same thing! LMAO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh