Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:05 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,920,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Statistics be damned, take a drive out there and walk the streets.
I've done it, and lived to tell the tale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,764,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I've done it, and lived to tell the tale.
I doubt you've done it at 3am when the OP would be walking. We're not saying you and she won't live. We're saying it's not the ideal place to raise teenagers or take walks at 3am.

You may have walked briefly through there, but you didn't take an 8 year old under your wing and teach him how to do laundry because he stunk to high heaven because his parents drug addicted parents never washed his clothes. You didn't have to call CYS because your child's classmate was abandoned at your house for a playdate and the mother disappeared off the face of the earth.

I could go on and on. I felt sorry for those kids. The deck was stacked against them and as they got older they got dragged into the drugs themselves. It's so sad to know that all of those sweet kids I knew as grade schoolers are either addicted, in jail, and some are dead.

Yeah, Sharpsburg has families living there.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:41 PM

21 posts, read 32,046 times
Wow...Thanks for all of the answers everybody! =O

Just to clarify, I don't take walks at 3AM. I said that I wanted it to be safe, but not necessarily safe enough where someone could just go walking at 3AM without a second thought (not that it wouldn't be nice; it just doesn't have to be that safe if it would eliminate some otherwise good, affordable options. I'd never take a walk at 3AM here, so I'm okay with not having that option. ).

Also, I think I remember reading something about technology programs in some of the schools in...some area. That's about the extent of my knowledge, because I read that quite a while ago. Anybody have any idea what I could be talking about?

Old 02-29-2012, 06:00 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,002,662 times
Any low-income neighborhood is going to have some undesirable people living there. Sharpsburg isn't exactly an upscale neighborhood, so it attracts low-income families. I'm sure there are also many middle-class families living there. Among low-income areas, I think Sharpsburg is probably one of the better ones.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaxela View Post
Also, I think I remember reading something about technology programs in some of the schools in...some area. That's about the extent of my knowledge, because I read that quite a while ago. Anybody have any idea what I could be talking about?
For the northern suburbs, it's Beattie Career Center (formerly called Beattie Tech).

A.W. Beattie Career Center

Students from the following school districts can attend:

Avonworth, Deer Lakes, Fox Chapel Area, Hampton, North Allegheny, North Hills, Northgate, Pine-Richland and Shaler Area

Old 02-29-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Among low-income areas, I think Sharpsburg is probably one of the better ones.
I disagree. I'd pick Millvale over Sharpsburg.

Millvale's crime statistics are very minimal, even lower than Aspinwall's crime statistics.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:00 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,002,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I disagree. I'd pick Millvale over Sharpsburg.

Millvale's crime statistics are very minimal, even lower than Aspinwall's crime statistics.
Well, I didn't say Sharpsburg was the very best low-income area, just one of the better ones. If you made a list of all of the low-income neighborhoods, Sharpsburg would look better than most!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:01 PM

21 posts, read 32,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
For the northern suburbs, it's Beattie Career Center (formerly called Beattie Tech).

A.W. Beattie Career Center

Students from the following school districts can attend:

Avonworth, Deer Lakes, Fox Chapel Area, Hampton, North Allegheny, North Hills, Northgate, Pine-Richland and Shaler Area
That doesn't look familiar.

I think I remember reading about a Computer Science program. I'm not sure though.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 PM

8 posts, read 18,208 times
belleview is a beautiful place so is avalon and west view

Old 02-29-2012, 07:15 PM

799 posts, read 1,285,851 times
I'll second (fourth?) West View. Your teens might find it a little boring. But you can bus from there and quickly be at the mall or even downtown. My mother-in-law taught at North Hills HS. She spoke favorably of the experience. Her kids went to North Allegheny, so she is familiar with one of the better high schools in the entire region. West View is very safe, almost sleepy. Really close to downtown and great suburban amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh